Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:57:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway group aims to turn track into tourist attraction at Torrington  (Read 6109 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 11, 2012, 22:17:03 »

From the North Devon Journal:

The reinvention of the old Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Valley railway line in Torrington is the latest plan to boost tourism in the town.

Plans by the Tarka Valley Railway Group have been submitted to Torridge District Council in the hope of getting part of the line back up and running.

The former British Rail line, which closed in 1984, runs behind the Puffin Billy pub just outside the town centre.

Group secretary Rod Garner, said: "The beginning stages would be to skim off the tarmac and put down the track. It would be 270 metres of running track, from the siding up to the old bridge. Looking up the track towards Bideford, people will see two lines, one which would be used for the train the other for walkers and cyclists. The idea is to provide short rides as a tourist attraction. It will not eat into the Tarka Trail so people will have the best of both worlds."

The railway group, which has more than 150 member from across the UK (United Kingdom), is currently funded by those involved. If the application is passed, it will be looking for donations and fundraising to get the project going.

Mr Garner said: "I cannot see why the council would turn it down, the benefits for the area could be great."

The retired engineer has been interested in railways since he was a boy. He said: "The heritage rail community is very passionate about restoring the railway in our communities. We have had discussion with heritage steam train owners who say they would be interested in collaborating with Tarka Rail to provide a service. This is a very exciting time for Great Torrington, I hope everyone will get behind what we are trying to achieve as I feel it will boost our community."

The application was originally submitted in April 2011 but due to objections and queries was withdrawn. It was resubmitted in December 2011.

Town and district councillor Andy Boyd supports the idea. He said: "I think it is a wonderful idea which I hope will go through. I think it will be a tourist hub and something which will really put the town on the map. Torrington has a lot of great things to offer the tourists, another attraction can only boost this. The line is part of the town's history. It will be a great source of income to the town and will celebrate its heritage."

Despite the support from Torrington Town Council, businesses and the on-site pub some people questioned the safety, sustainability and pollution problems the track may cause.

In a letter to Torridge District Council, Ian Norridge and his wife, of New Road, outlined their concerns.

The letter said: "Diesel engines emit less pollution when running at speed so therefore as this such a short track we feel the amount of smoke and noise will be concentrated in a small area. This will be unpleasant for those living in the area, disconcerting for young children and disturbing for dogs on the Tarka trail. The track is so short we would suggest that the railway group will be using this more as a shunting exercise than a train ride.

"We fully appreciate that Torrington Railway Station was once a fully operational service but over time it has become best known as the Tarka Trail. It is famous for the walking and cycling experiences and is part of a bigger network of cycle ways which itself attracts thousands a year. We feel it would be a travesty to compromise this already successful asset."

The result of the application will be available on May 24.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:32:36 »

Group aspire to launch enterprise that will encourage extra tourism to small, remote, recession-hit community...

Rejected on grounds that this may 'scare dogs'...

Welcome to Devon  Wink
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 20:26:45 »

From the North Devon Journal:

Heritage rail is attractive

If the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Valley Railway Group's plans for the Torrington station site come to fruition, the railway will join over 100 revived or heritage railways running in the United Kingdom and in Ireland,

This revival movement started in 1951 and has grown to the point in 60 years that it is estimated these railways provide 2,000 paid jobs, and attract close to 18,000 volunteers.

PLANS: Torrington railway station, seen here in the 1970s, could become a part of a heritage railway tourist attraction.

The railways themselves have one thing in common; they started from nothing.

The station site once served Torrington and the area around by bringing in and taking out people and goods. The site can once again be put to good use for the general benefit by adding an attraction in addition to the Tarka Trail for visitors to enjoy.

It is widely accepted that heritage railways generate funds for the economies of their local areas.

I would welcome the chance for Torrington to so benefit.

MICHAEL SAMPSON,

Torrington.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 21:55:36 »

Hmmmm. I wonder if 12 cyclists will try to put their bikes on it, like they do with the Exmouth to Topsham cycle path. The clue's in the name. Cycle.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 16:22:52 »

Its the age old battle, isnt it? - Between those who believe that cyclepaths are merely a useful way of preserving former rail routes until they can be re-opened, and those who believe that once a cyclepath is established it should remain as such.

Shades of Bodmin & Wenford Railway and Camel Trail, albeit on a far smaller scale?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: