Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:56 Exmouth to Paignton
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
17:23 Exmouth to Exeter St Davids
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
15:47 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:14 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:02 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:42 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 17:49:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[9] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd one(s) out?  (Read 7324 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 17, 2012, 18:17:20 »

Can you spot the odd one(s) out?

Alastair Darling
Andrew Adonis
Ben Bradshaw
Chris Grayling
Derek Twigg
Douglas Alexander
Geoff Hoon
Justine Greening
Maria Eagle
Norman Baker
Patrick McLoughlin
Philip Hammond
Ruth Kelly
Stephen Byers
Theresa Villiers
Tom Harris

I know of multiple answers ... so there's no 'right' and 'wrong' answer here.

Edit to add back in a dropped e
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 18:45:24 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 18:29:14 »

Justin Greening is certainly the odd man out there ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 18:44:32 »

Justin Greening is certainly the odd man out there ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

Oops ... I think I've dropped an e on the floor.   Ah yes ... I'll put it back in.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 19:02:02 »

Andrew Adonis was the only one who was any good at his job at 'Transport'  Tongue

Maria Eagle and Chris Grayling have only ever shadowed 'Transport'.

Ben Bradshaw has never had a 'Transport' brief, either in government or opposition. (I think  Undecided)

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 19:28:10 »

Andrew Adonis was the only one who was any good at his job at 'Transport'  Tongue

I have a huge respect for Andrew Adonis.

Maria Eagle and Chris Grayling have only ever shadowed 'Transport'.

Correct

Ben Bradshaw has never had a 'Transport' brief, either in government or opposition. (I think  Undecided)

Also correct ...

And it shows just *how many* answers there are ... there are four other things that I had picked up as I set this up which each applies only to one of the named people!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 19:45:49 »

I have a huge respect for Andrew Adonis.

Me too. Although I'm not a fan of politicians who swap parties. That hints at opportunism rather than conviction. He was originally a Lib Dem, selected by them as a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the Westbury Constituency in 1994. He resigned before fighting an election there.

I'm also not a fan of unelected ministers of state.

But those two negatives were greatly outweighed by just how damn good he was in the job as SoS for Transport.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:36:14 »

... and it shows just *how many* answers there are ... there are four other things that I had picked up as I set this up which each applies only to one of the named people!

Andrew Adonis is the only one who's not been elected as an MP (Member of Parliament).

Ben Bradshaw - correctly identified - is the only one never to have had a transport / shadow transport portfolio. He is also the only one to represent / have represented a constituency in the area served by First Great Western. We don't seem to grow transport secretaries in the South West, and I sometimes wonder if that makes any difference in how our railways are run / comparative decisions made, etc

Stephen Byers is the only one who's not been around the transport scene in the south west during the award and running of the current franchise (his involvement dates back a bit)

Patrick McLoughlin is the only one to have been appointed to a post at the Department for Transport twice; he was a junior minister there under a previous conservative government, as well as being back there now.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:33:53 »

Ruth Kelly kicked butt at FGW (First Great Western) and put them on the naughty step. Threatening to strip First Group of the Greater Western franchise if they didn't get their act together. That despite the fact that it was her department who had proscribed a tender that FGW were never going to meet. Class 158s (and other DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit)) in storage. Fare's strikes. No need for Adelantes, et seq. Alison Forster took the fall, but it wasn't really her fault.

Yes, FGW weren't totally blameless, massaging performance figures, but that was symptomatic of the situation they found themselves in following the amalgamation of HSS (High Speed Services), Thames Valley and Wessex.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:39:26 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 06:59:39 »

Ah ... you mean these scenes taken soon after the December 2006 timetable change

We can discuss - years later - as to whether the service withdrawls, rescheduling for stock use rather than to meet passenger requirements, and formation cuts were the responsibility of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (under previous ministers to Ruth Kelly), of First (who undertook to carry out the timetable changes and bid the number of trains they needed), or some of both. 

At the time, I looked at that picture of a line of 4 x 153 doing nothing, and thought "that's OUR train" ... the 07:30 Westbury to Swindon, the 16:47 Westbury to Swindon.   The 08:46 Swindon to Westbury.  The 17:44 Swindon to Wetsbury. The 22:11 Swindon to Westbury.  Our commuter service ... gone, leaving trains at just 06:20 and 18:44 from Swindon to Westbury and at 07:04 and 19:35 back to Swindon.  Our late evening service, gone.  And our daytime trips - not listed above - gone.   The remaining (actually new) trains timed to reduce stock needs, and to meet the DfT's "SLC2" spec, and not to meet the needs of the area that the service (interesting word  Grin) should have served.

I've learned a lot since those days, and I know many other have too. With a community hat on, I know that our community's eye wasn't on the ball as well as it should have been to say "oy!" earlier and more loudly. Local government, since reformed for much wider reasons, has changed dramatically; new constituency boundaries and Wiltshire MPs (Member of Parliament) who look at all their stations and services, not just their local line stations to London. The DfT too - I know there are fears about the level of service not the minute detail in the new franchise, particularly raised for Bedwyn / Pewsey / Westbury in Wiltshire, but I also see the pieces coming into place for a proper linked network including (yes) the TransWilts, but also for the other lines with which it connects and where, in some cases, the investment for the future dwarfs what's needed (and may happen  Wink ) on the TransWilts.  First and the other bidders are commercial companies; they need to make their best profit - and this time they'll be far better informed and they'll also know that they'll be far better supported - certainly in Wiltshire - than they imagined that they would be last time around.  And - I hope - the system and the groundrules should / should have moved on somewhat so that the absurdity of "pulling" well loaded trains and then storing the stock in sidings will be seen as just a lesson of history.  But - certainly at my home station - the effects of that history are still very much with us.  I'm working out of my home town this week, and would have commuted by train if a service was available.  As it is, I drove and sat in traffic jams as I went. 

I've not really got a strong view on Ruth Kelly's decisions - I remain much more prickly about one of her predecessors who was asked on national radio about the TransWilts service.  He didn't answer the question at all - he chose instead to talk about railway investment and how fantastic that was in improving services for areas up the West Coast main line which (I happened to know) served his constituency.  I too was concerned when an unelected minister was appointed (Andrew Adonis), but I have to agree that - very quickly - I saw the merit in having a person who wasn't area-tied and who seemed to have so much else going for him too.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 14:26:48 »

A lesson from history indeed grahame.

I was well aware that mentioning Ruth Kelly would draw a forthright response. The FGW (First Great Western) tender from 2006 is a lesson that I hope all parties have learnt/will learn from. That is, how not to prescribe* a franchise.

*and not proscribe as I mistakenly said up thread. bignosemac only got a D in GCSE English Language.  Embarrassed

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: