15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 18:14:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[50] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[19] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor first impressions  (Read 8377 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 16:35:17 »

My son (14) made his first solo journey on the railway yesterday, catching the 1538 Nailsea to Weston and 1610 return (he only needed to collect a bike we had left earlier in the day, hence the very quick turnaround). I got a call at Weston "what should I do, nobody came to ask me for a ticket", so I told him to go to the ticket office and buy his return from there, which he did. On arrival back he told me that he wasn't checked on the way back either.

Now the trains weren't particularly busy, and the conductor managed to sell us tickets in the morning within 20 seconds of leaving Nailsea, and on the return checked us within a couple of minutes of leaving Weston.

Before anyone asks, Nailsea is cash only, and on neither journey did we/he have cards with us, so we were entitled to pay on the train.

So not a very good impression for a teenager making his first journey, and you can possibly see why people start to think that they can get away with travelling for free from the time they start using the railway.     
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 19:06:16 »

First. Nice to hear of such honesty from a 14 year old. Most commendable and illustrative of the fact that most teenagers are not as depicted by the popular press.

Secondly though, comparison between what happened in the morning and what happened in the afternoon on the services that 'weren't particularly busy' may not be fair on the staff member(s) involved. The conductor may not have been able to sell tickets. A lack of an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains), or a failed one are two possible explanations. Less likely, but still possible, technical issues with the stock being used may have meant the conductor was unable to leave the back cab whilst the train was moving.

<jest mode> I do hope that you sit your son down and go through the National Rail Conditions of Carriage with him. You're already part way there by telling him to buy his ticket at Weston-super-Mare before leaving the station.

Now.... what if he'd left his bike at Weston Milton? </jest mode>  Wink Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 19:57:38 »

Now.... what if he'd left his bike at Weston Milton? </jest mode>  Wink Tongue Grin

He probably would have turned up and found his bike missing...  Wink
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 20:59:33 »

It was being seen to at a bike shop close to the station. Certainly wouldn't have left it in Weston unattended!

Maybe, but I'm not convinced by the technical issues possibility, as it's a bit too common. The units were the same as in the morning, (though of course things can happen during the day).   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 23:20:16 »

He probably would have turned up and found his bike missing...  Wink

A scurrilous and baseless allegation: there have been no reported bike thefts from Weston Milton Station in the past five years.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 18:10:45 »

If you are worried about your son travelling without a ticket could you yourself not had purchased a ticket for him before his travels?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 18:15:24 »

If you are worried about your son travelling without a ticket could you yourself not had purchased a ticket for him before his travels?

How is that teaching him to do things for himself
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 18:59:41 »

it clearly isnt but if you are aware of card only facilities etc.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 19:04:16 »

it clearly isnt but if you are aware of card only facilities etc.

.....then you buy at the first opportunity if you only have cash. Being aware of the (lack of) facilities is not really relevant.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 19:29:08 »

How is that teaching him to do things for himself

Quite. He was perfectly entitled to board the train and buy on board, so I wasn't at all worried. Though he was when he got to Weston hence why he sought advice.   
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 22:45:54 »

Then why criticise about guards etc if he brought his ticket at WSM! how about a basic bank account that gives access to card facilities if we are teaching kids to grow up!!!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 22:48:49 »

Then why criticise about guards etc if he brought his ticket at WSM! how about a basic bank account that gives access to card facilities if we are teaching kids to grow up!!!

But that type of card would not work on the train would it as it is not on line to verify. Do they word in tvm's?
Milky Bar Kid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:23 »

yes they work in tvms
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:14 »

I don't think that getting a bank card for my son should be a prerequisite before he does his first solo train trip (which was only arranged on the day when we realised the bike would need to stay in the shop for longer) when he is perfectly entitled to pay by cash on the train.

Besides, I was making a general point regarding the impression that the lack of onboard ticket checking might give to impressionable teenagers, and the fact that most would not have done what he did and purchase the ticket at the destination station on arrival but would have regarded the trip as free.       
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:10:04 »

Maybe you could use it as an opportunity to teach your son about ecomonics.  It's not always cost effective to collect every fare for every journey.  The reason the nailsea machine does not take cash is an economic one as it has been broken into so many times it is cheaper to have it card only and miss collecting a few fares.

Also as his return journey was from Weston if he had failed to buy a ticket he could have been given a penalty fare.  One of the reasons for a penalty fare is to encourage you to buy before you board. He would have to make the journey several times and not pay to make it cheaper than the penalty fare.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: