22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:14:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[191] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[114] access for all at Devon stations report
[75] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[13] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[9] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Olympic strike action?  (Read 16980 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:37 »

I was wondering when this news would finally break!

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=160285

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 17:36:41 »

FGW (First Great Western) response here

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Media-centre/First-Great-Western-response-to-the-RMT-intention-to-ballot
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 18:44:11 »

Gotta love the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)'s chutzpah.  Shocked

What next? Balloting Merseyrail or Northern Trains' staff to try and get them an Olympic^ bonus.  Roll Eyes

There's an overall net increase of 0.5% in FGW (First Great Western) services during the Olympics^. So give only those staff directly effected a bonus of 0.5%.

I suspect though that Commie Bob will be pushing for a nice round ^500 a head, regardless whether a staff member is directly effected by the Olympics^.

Don't cave in to these outrageous demands and threats FGW. It's the thin end of the wedge. Next time it'll be demands for bonus payments to work the odd additional Rugby, Football, Glastonbury or Cheltenham Races service. It should be 'needs of the business' and overtime where necessary. Not lump sums.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 19:07:51 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 19:20:35 »

This is getting a bit stupid now  I can understand the bus drivers wanting more money but I feel the trains drivers get paid enough as it stands and could be earning extra already if they are working overtime during the olympics. That said  I  can understand why some of the lower paid railway staff (gateline assistants etc)would want a little extra money for working during the olympics

In fact with the threat of the bus drivers in London going on strike you can watch some drivers from other parts of the country being drafted in to provide cover (Already heard this from soneone I know working for a certain major bus operator in south wales)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 19:36:40 »

but I feel the trains drivers get paid enough as it stands and could be earning extra already if they are working overtime during the olympics.

It's worth pointing out that most train drivers who are union members would belong to ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about).

ASLEF are, as far as I'm aware, not threatening strike action.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 19:50:30 »

I think it's because the train staff have already agreed an extra amount, the union is now trying to get the same for station staff. The whole thing seems quite daft and greedy.
Personally I don't see why anyone should get extra for doing the job they do the rest of the year just because there's a special event on. A driver can only drive one train at a time irrelevent of how many people are on it and the same for a Guard. Perhaps it should be suggested that they get paid less for working the quieter early morning & late night services.
I'd like to point out that I am not anti-union (I do belong to one) but I don't like greed.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 19:54:51 »

I quite agree, but unfortunately the culture of bonus payments just for doing your job has become entrenched, starting at the top:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9339462/Londons-transport-chiefs-set-for-massive-bonuses.html
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:13 »

Is not crossrail being built partly in order to reduce overcrowding on other parts of Londons transport system ?
So perhaps those employed on those transport facilities that will become less busy should receive a pay cut, when crossrail opens ?
A lot more than ^500, since the the games are only for a few weeks but crossrail is permanent.

Also the growing use of Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards has reduced the need for ticket offices on Suburban and underground stations. Closure of some has been proposed, to which the trades unions have reacted with predictable fury.
Perhaps more ticket offices could be kept open if the relevant staff took a pay cut. After all, if they expect more money for an increase in trade during the games, then less money for a decline in trade seems reasonable.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:11 »

Bob Crow is an embarrassment to a lot of the hard working, concientious railway staff.

Talking to platform staff, you can understand why (and with the extortionate subscription) they
 are deserting the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:19:05 »

This thread takes me back to to my job at an Aluminium plant in South Wales in the early 1980s

The employees a bonus for not taking sick days  - so basically a bonus for turning up to work...

<Sarcasm>

Oh those were the days Smiley

</Sarcasm>
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07:36 »

The FGW (First Great Western) link is now a 404 error...

I am quite happy to remain on the same salary level during the olympics... this of course assumes the level of verbal abuse that gets handed out by the public due to delays/overcrowding etc also remains at the same level... oh... you think we should be paid double time now? Grin **

**The above statement is intended to be tongue-in-cheek and nothing more.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 13:15:07 »

From http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=161577

RAIL UNION RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) today called off a strike ballot over Olympics payments on key train operator First Great Western after hammering out a new agreement that will ensure that all staff right across the service will secure additional benefits.

The agreement, reached after extensive negotiation with RMT representatives, gives our members a flat rate payment for the Olympic period in addition to enhanced payments for additional services being run by First Great Western and in recognition of the busy periods expected.

[snip]

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said:

^The First Great Western deal is a massive breakthrough that fully appreciates the additional pressure on every member of the staff team. It is a tribute to the determination of our members and the negotiating skills of our reps.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 14:55:16 »

Still on topic I'm adding this just to prove that the rmt have done this to other toc's .... I personally side with swt on this

http://m.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transport/south-west-trains-hold-strike-talks-with-rmt-1-3962609
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 15:01:49 »

And I suspect that RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) release quoted above covers the same reaction from FGW (First Great Western) - i.e. they've given reassurances but probably little else by way of extra pay.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 15:13:45 »

Poor show from FGW (First Great Western) to back down and now pay everyone a flat rate bonus. I'm sure local train crew in Devon and Cornwall will be delighted to be getting a bonus for having to do sod all extra work.   Roll Eyes

Bonuses should be earned for performance above and beyond. Not handed out for doing nothing. This is a cost that will have to be borne by other parts of the business. Most likely, ultimately, it'll be the passengers.

It's probably too late now but I wish at least one TOC (Train Operating Company) would take the fight to the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: