14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:22:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train delayed due to waiting for connections  (Read 2622 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 19:20:26 »

I came back from Birmingham New St to Worcester Foregate St this afternoon (Jul 3) on the 15:49 London Midland train.

We left New Street about 10 minutes late. No on-train announcement about why.

When we got to Foregate St I looked at the monitors, which said that the train was running late due to waiting for late-running connections. I realise now that I should have taken a picture.

I didn't know that this sort of thing went on any more. Has anyone else encountered this of late?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 19:36:30 »

Hmmm, the NR» (Network Rail - home page) log describes the delay a little differently!

11 mins    BHAMNEWST - HEREFRD (Ref 901012)
IB POINTS FLR NS591 BHM NS591 PTS (Personal Track Safety) FLR BHM

Incident 901012

NS591 PTS FLR BHM NS BOX MNGR ADV 1M53 REPLAT TO 5 DUE TO PTS ISSUE AND 2W42 REPLAT TO GO BEHIND TO AVOID BLOCKING/REPLATFORMING OTHER SERVICES.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 23:05:42 »

Not sure that I understand what that means!

We left from platform 9b. Didn't get moved either.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:24:53 »

Not sure that I understand what that means!

We left from platform 9b. Didn't get moved either.

That service is booked platform 5B, it must of been moved upon arrival from its forming service. 1M53 is not your service that is a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to Manchester, which i'd imagine was running about 25 minutes late. This must of then been replatformed by the points failure, and as such caused other services to be replatformed - perhaps a service with a connection causing it to be held outside New Street and as such delay your departure.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 20:05:04 »

Hmmm, the NR» (Network Rail - home page) log describes the delay a little differently!

Incident 901012

NS591 PTS FLR BHM NS BOX MNGR ADV 1M53 REPLAT TO 5 DUE TO PTS ISSUE AND 2W42 REPLAT TO GO BEHIND TO AVOID BLOCKING/REPLATFORMING OTHER SERVICES.

My interpretation - to see if i'm right!

NS591 [signal number] PTS FLR [points failure] BHN NS BOX [Birminghan New Street signal box] ADV [advised] 1M53 [train code] REPLAT TO 5 [replatform to platform 5] DUE TO PTS ISSUE [due to points issue]AND 2W42 to REPLAT TO GO BEHIND TO AVOID BLOCKING/REPLATFORMING OTHER SERVICES [and train number 2W42 to follow behind and replatform on to platform 5 to avoid blocking/replatforming other services]

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 21:02:47 »

Incident 901012

Blimey and I thought the IT industry was bad for abbreviations!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: