Delayed
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:29:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[76] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[56] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[9] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket purchase times; how early do people arrive?  (Read 6134 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 15, 2012, 14:04:45 »

Pure research / learning on my part at this stage (but interested in what happens at a station in the lead up to a popular train calling) .  

1. Does anyone have (or know of a source) of comparative average times taken to purchase a ticket:
a) From a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) (Ticket Vending Machine)
b) From a staffed counter
c) From a mobile ticket seller, such as on board travelling from stations offering neither (a) nor (b)
d) From a phone-in service
also interested in
e) Average time to obtain a prepurchased tickets from a TVM
I guess it will be very different across different station types?
I'm sure someone has the stats - they'll need them to know how vending points to have in place.

2. How early do people arrive for their train?  Does the pattern vary significantly between people who need to purchase tickets, people who need to collect tickets, and people who are already fully ticketed?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:40:22 »

My answers

1) Can't help with this one
2) I tend to arrive about 20 minutes before my train is due to depart (0547 thstchsm to reading). On a monday this gives me extra time to TRY and buy my weekly season from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine). But I have to be honest and say my real reason for arriving that early is to get a free parking space Smiley
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 13:46:01 »

2).. Usually about 12 hours in advance if I'm renewing my season ticket (so the night before) but if I have to get it on the day I get there 20 - 30 minutes early (although when I do that the long queue that there is every other day is non existent for some reason)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 14:42:30 »

I allow at least half an hour, to buy a ticket at Paddington, and even that was not long enough recently as disscussed herehttp://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10957.0

I try not to buy a ticket at Paddington though due to the likely delays.
It only takes a few minutes at London Liverpool Street.

Not much point in the railway industry spending billions on faster speeds or new lines, when the ticket purchasing process is a significant fraction of the journy time.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 18:47:40 »

2) Usually about 30-40 minutes early if needing to find a parking space at a time when the car park may be busy.  About 10-20 minutes at a larger station with a ticket already, 20-30 minutes if requiring a ticket/collection* and 1-10 minutes if buying on-board.

* = I allow the same amount of time if collecting or buying a ticket.  Anything unusual (e.g. rover or through ticket) will usually be bought a few days in advance, if possible.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 19:43:48 »

Most of my rail travel is for leisure purposes and often the trips are spur of the moment jollies to go bashing some part of the network. With my wealth of knowledge of the fares system I tend to buy walk-up tickets, with Advance Purchase only considered for those few journeys a year that are pre-planned and for which splits don't offer a saving.

Most times I'll buy on board after joining at my local unstaffed, un-TVMed station, Shirehampton. I usually arrive there 5-10 minutes before my train is due to depart. Other times when I'm doing a more complex split I'll buy online the night before, usually from redspottedhanky.com and collect from Bristol TM(resolve) if inward on the SVB Line or Bristol Parkway if I'm getting the bus there.

Looking forward to being the first passenger to buy a ticket on board (I doubt it'll get a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)) from Henbury.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 20:52:44 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 20:19:36 »

I try and get to the station about 20-30 mins early rather than rushing and being worried or stressed im going to miss the train

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 20:23:34 »

For my journey to work I usually buy a ticket each time I travel as I am out of the office often enough for a season ticket not to be justified for that journey (at least it was last time I checked, a while ago now, maybe I should review that decision). I cycle to the station on a folding bike, so have a very predictable journey time, and find I don't tend to have to queue for long for the ticket machines at Didcot, so I only allow 2 to 3 minutes before my usual train. Occasionally I've been caught out by unexpected queues, or broken machines, in which case I have to get the 0801 instead of the 0755, which means a longer wait at Reading for my connection, but is usually not too much of  a problem. If I drove I'd have to allow a lot more time for parking, getting ticket, walking from the car park etc.  For a journey where it is more critical I get the exact train I would allow a bit longer, but still find 5 minutes is generally fine when cycling.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 20:47:40 »

No idea on averages, but collecting pre-purchased tickets from TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) can be quite lengthy. I booked quite a few seperate tickets for one of my rail 'adventures' (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10901) and had seperate booking codes to type into the machine for each leg (I did a bit of split-ticketing also). A fair queue built up behind while the machine was printing all my tickets.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 20:51:46 »

I always used to buy on board and almost never in general had a problem - even if my boarding station had facilities.  If I knew the service was DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) - mostly thames valley - id always get from the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) but really never got stressed as the services were so frequent

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:08:34 »

I feel I've opened a bit of a Pandora's box here - very interesting and very complicated situation.  There's a strong argument that says the time taken to obtain your ticket (unless you purchase on train) is every bit as much a part of the journey time as the time the train's actually moving with you in transit.

Many thanks and please keep adding to the thread - thanks too for the extra case data I've got via other means as a result of the request I started the thread with.  Very complex; I've got some preliminary thoughts on patterns that are starting to emerge, but don't want to steer the thread while other data's being contributed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:09:46 »

It's not just ticket time, it's the entire end to end journey time:

Leave house - if winter defrost car windscreen - drive to station - find parking space - find car park ticket machine that's working - buy car park ticket - return to car to display ticket - walk to ticket office/TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), queue, buy ticket - find platform - buy newspaper/coffee - board train. The actual ticket purchase time is relatively quick (no more than a minute for a simple walk up fare or weekly season).

Overall I probably add 15 minutes to the driving time to the station to cover all the ancillary activities and potential pitfalls. I could probably save a bit of time by doing ring-go for parking (or whatever it's called these days).

Then at the other end (London in my case) in can take two minutes to get off a busy train if I'm not near the door, a good 5-6 minutes to get to the tube, assuming I am not turned away because of overcrowding on the platform, plus the tube journey (up to half an hour for 4 miles) and walk to the office.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: