Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:53 London Paddington to Penzance
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 19:10:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[46] Misleading advertising?
[16] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare's advice, please  (Read 6713 times)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 14:54:40 »

Is a Barnstaple to Bristol Temple Meads rte Any Permitted (^36.00) Off Peak Return valid via Westbury?

The Routing Guide seems to permit it (Map SW), but I don't have access to the Fares database to check if there's a higher fare.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 15:24:14 »

It is indeed. Criteria for vaild routes are:

Exeter is the only Routeing Point for Barnstaple so there's no need for a 'fare's check' to find valid Routeing Points. So for permitted routes using an 'Any Permitted' ticket we have Map SW on which you can trace any route form Origin Routeing Point (Exeter) to Destination Routeing Point (Bristol) without doubling back through any station. To get to the Origin Routeing Point you must take the shortest route - which in this case (BNP-EXD) - is the only route. As you can see Map SW then allows a route to be traced through Westbury. In fact it's possible to trace a route through Swindon without doubling back and without needing to go via Melksham! Using the same map I often travel from Bristol to pick up west bound HSTs (High Speed Train) at Westbury or Castle Cary for Devon and Cornwall destinations. Maybe a slightly longer journey but does avoid XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Voyagers and changing at Taunton!

All walk-up fares between Barnstaple and Bristol are 'Any Permitted' so no problems there. Finally there are no negative easements disallowing travel via Westbury.

EDIT: Should this be a day trip then a split at Taunton into two Off Peak Day Returns (still allows travel via Westbury) will be cheaper than the the Off Peak Return
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 15:31:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 15:28:55 »

Ta, muchly Smiley

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 16:36:32 »

I have to say that is the clearest explanation of the Routeing Guide I have seen, thanks BNM. I have struggled with the maps many a time.

As for going via Westbury to avoid a Voyager. I have done that from Swindon - only to discover I had avoided one of the few XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HSTs (High Speed Train)Grin
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 16:42:09 »

What kind of idiot puts an apostrophe in "Fare's"? Jeezus...  Embarrassed

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 16:53:38 »

Haven't they recently changed some of the Via Westbury tickets? I know Taunton - Bristol used to be valid via Westbury, however not any more (no surprise when it works out cheaper than Taunton - Westbury!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 17:10:10 »

What kind of idiot puts an apostrophe in "Fare's"? Jeezus...  Embarrassed

Made my day has that. You are human after all. Also what kind of idiot spells the name of Our Lord and Saviour with two e's and a zTongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 17:20:41 »

Haven't they recently changed some of the Via Westbury tickets? I know Taunton - Bristol used to be valid via Westbury, however not any more (no surprise when it works out cheaper than Taunton - Westbury!)

Taunton to Bristol remains valid via Westbury. No recent changes to tickets that I'm aware of that have changed anything. And yes, it is cheaper to buy TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and end short at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) on some ticket types.

However, Taunton to Westbury is not valid via Bristol on some ticket flows. These have a specific 'Not via Bristol' routeing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 17:43:35 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 17:22:54 »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jeezus

See #4.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 19:59:24 »

I do wonder how many train managers, on being presented with a Bristol to Taunton ticket approaching Swindon from the Bristol Parkway direction (or even on the leg up from Temple Meads to Parkway) would accept it, particularly if you didn't have a print out of the routeing guide. Do they keep copies with them? 
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 21:46:27 »

I hope you forgive me altering the quote below slightly...

I do wonder how many train managers, on being presented with a [Barnstaple to Bristol] ticket approaching [Bristol] from the [Westbury] direction would accept it?

...because I don't know, since my ticket didn't get checked after Umberleigh until I passed Cathays!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 22:08:23 »

I do wonder how many train managers, on being presented with a Bristol to Taunton ticket approaching Swindon from the Bristol Parkway direction (or even on the leg up from Temple Meads to Parkway) would accept it, particularly if you didn't have a print out of the routeing guide. Do they keep copies with them? 

Quite, would anyone risk that? Shocked Shocked

And thanks BNM for that explanation  Wink - the routing guide is completely new to me. I bet there are lots of tricks you can do to save money (although probs not on the Cotswold line). Angry
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 19:36:47 »

I do wonder how many train managers, on being presented with a [Barnstaple to Bristol] ticket approaching [Bristol] from the [Westbury] direction would accept it?

I don't know, since my ticket didn't get checked after Umberleigh until I passed Cathays!

...and didn't get checked on the way back anywhere between Pentre-bach and Newton St Cyres - not even at the barriers at Cardiff Central!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 20:16:08 »

And thanks BNM for that explanation  Wink - the routing guide is completely new to me.

<pedant alert>. In UK (United Kingdom) railway terminology it's 'Routeing Guide'. That 'e' is important, lest there be confusion with guides giving tips on how to tile a bathroom or making grooves in woodwork, for example.  Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: