Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:25:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstGroup trumps Virgin as frontrunner for WCML franchise (guardian 29/07/2012)  (Read 47338 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2012, 19:50:14 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Local News here (I'm near Greater Manchester at the moment, not at home in Wales) covered the 'First Group looking like they are going to take the ICWC (InterCity West Coast) franchise' story this evening. I think the woman said First bid ^7bn more than Virgin, so they got that bit wrong if I heard her correctly.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2012, 20:09:51 »

^7 billion looks like an awful lot of wonga that the unfortunate passenger may have to find. Presumably, they will be able to pull out early to save the last billion or two, then get an extension to the franchise so they can make good their losses at Government expense?

For reasons I can't quite fathom, I shall be sorry if Virgin disappears from the railway scene, probably because we'll never hear any more announcements like the "delays due to a failed Virgin at Watford". Maybe Sir Richard will buy First Group, call it Virgin's First or similar.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2012, 20:10:16 »

The former record seller seems to be getting bent out of shape http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2012/08/02-surprise-west-coast-intervention-reported.html and using the "old pals act" and wonder if there is a threat to party funding  Roll Eyes or am I just a cynic   Grin  I do find Crow and Branson odd bed fellow both using the "protecting jobs" argument

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2012, 21:04:52 »

The rumour about having to hand back other franchises is rumoured to be a cluase in the new franchise that if the company tries to hand the keys back early then they will be stripped of the others.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2012, 21:33:05 »

The rumour about having to hand back other franchises is rumoured to be a cluase in the new franchise that if the company tries to hand the keys back early then they will be stripped of the others.
I am not sure that would be very practical, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would not cope if a group as involved as First did that, also each franchise is its own contract so it might be possible to build it into new franchises I doubt it could be made retrospective

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2012, 21:40:56 »

I am not sure that would be very practical, DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would not cope if a group as involved as First did that, also each franchise is its own contract so it might be possible to build it into new franchises I doubt it could be made retrospective

It would be possible - a condition of the new contract could be that they agree to vary their existing contracts.  DfT would need some contingencies for direct operation though. 

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2012, 23:01:12 »

What on earth is the point of delaying the announcmenet.

(a) Surely they know and have made a decision, unless Branson is offering his soul. Undecided

(b) It's been leaked anyway. Roll Eyes

I sometimes despair at this country/world. Wink
John R

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2012, 23:22:51 »

Branson is a wily old soul, and will have the best lawyers on the case. I don't believe at this stage a counter offer would work, as it would require reopening the competition, else the other bidders would cry foul. But he could threaten a judicial review of the decision if his lawyers think they have a case.

But what could that case be? Anyone remember TVAM, which was put out of business when GMTV bid stupid money for the breakfast franchise. Only trouble was, it was so stupid that they couldn't afford it, and had to negotiate a reduced payment a year or so later.  Quite why the government of the day agreed to it escapes me, but they did. By that stage TVAM had ceased to exist, so they couldn't do anything about it.

But if the organisation still existed (as Virgin group would do), then they could potentially have a case if it could be proved that the original decision was unreasonable, as it probably would be if First failed to honour the terms.

All speculation of course, and as someone has pointed out, the bearded one appears to have breached the terms of bidding by going public, which may not help his case. And yes, they did negotiate a very hard deal when the original plan for 140mph was shelved, (see point above about having excellent lawyers), and there wasn't much the govt could do about it, so the civil servants in the DafT have probably not been favourably inclined toward them ever since.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2012, 22:58:12 »

Lots of rumours flying round as to why the announcement on the ICWC (InterCity West Coast) franchise award has been delayed.

Funniest I've seen is speculation that SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) have been successful with a late bid:

it's obviously in the bag for SNCF. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are in negotiations about the fares for the Shrewsbury to Paris service. A few ministers aren't too happy about the WCML (West Coast Main Line) being renamed the LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) Britannique, but, hey, if the DfT manages to fill up the coffers, who cares?

Grin

0700 tomorrow 15/08/2012 (possibly), now that HMG have got the bad news about Jan 2013 fare rises out the way, when we'll hear who's won. Virgin Rail Group t/a Virgin Trains or First Group t/a First West Horizon Coast Trains or something like that.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2012, 23:42:08 »

I'd wait a few more days, so the story is not linked to the fare increases.

Or they should have done it today so overshadow.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:57 »

All the speculation over recent days has ultimately stemmed from a loosed-lipped snivel servant at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

"The ship of state, Bernard, is the only ship that leaks from the top." - Sir Humphrey Appleby

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:01 »

Following the announcement that First Group have won the InterCity West Coast franchise further discussion and news items on this subject will continue in a new thread:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11138.0

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: