Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 05:52:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey starting at a station with no ticket facilities. Must you buy at an interchange station?  (Read 8772 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 16:13:25 »

Moderator note: This discussion on the finer points of where and when you should buy a ticket when you've started your journey from a station with no facilities, has been split from another thread as the points raised had drifted from the original thread's subject. bignosemac

It's a real nuisance when travelling beyond Temple Meads, as it means queueing for a ticket, and I have missed my onward connection before now.

To pick up on this one point.

You must buy a ticket at the earliest opportunity, BUT you need not delay your journey doing so. If you've been unable to by on board inward to Temple Meads and have insufficient time to purchase before your next train leaves, then it would be reasonable to purchase on that next train.

I've only had a problem doing this once when, through no fault of my own, I got as far as Bracknell without having had an opportunity to purchase. Admittedly I did enter a world of pain with an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) at Bracknell gateline but once all was explained I was allowed to purchase and the PF (Penalty Fare) that was being written was torn up. I got some goodwill compo from SWT (South West Trains) as well for being unnecessarily delayed at my destination.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 17:19:57 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 16:39:33 »

Thanks, bignosemac, I shall bear that in mind should I have the same problem again. I've moved house since my greatest use of the line, so no longer leave the car at Redland Parkway very often, but I always worried about being slapped with a penalty fare if I didn't get a ticket first.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 16:44:42 »

It's a real nuisance when travelling beyond Temple Meads, as it means queueing for a ticket, and I have missed my onward connection before now.
You must buy a ticket at the earliest opportunity, BUT you need not delay your journey doing so. If you've been unable to by on board inward to Temple Meads and have insufficient time to purchase before your next train leaves, then it would be reasonable to purchase on that next train.
Presumably that technically only works if your connection is more than the minimum recommended at Temple Meads?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 17:17:24 »

I see nothing wrong in making a shorter connection. This isn't about compensation for delays where minimum connection times would have to be taken into account.

The Penalty Fares Policy says:

Changing Trains.
A passenger who changes onto a penalty fares train at a penalty fares station may normally be charged a penalty fare if ticket facilities were available at the interchange station and warning notices were displayed where they could be seen by anyone changing onto the penalty fares train. However, under conditions 2 & 3 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, the full normal range of tickets must be made available to any passenger who started their journey at a station where either no ticket issuing facilities existed, or those that were available were limited to an extent that the passenger was unable to purchase the appropriate ticket for the journey they wished to make. In these circumstances, a passenger should not be expected to buy a ticket at the interchange station if they do not have enough time to do so without missing their connection. If it is not possible to check whether or not ticket facilities were available at the station where the passenger started their journey (which may be a station run by a different train company), a penalty fare should not be charged.

No mention there of minimum connection times needing to be adhered to. Even 10 minutes at Bristol TM(resolve) may not be time enough to either queue at the gateline or go to the ticket windows and purchase. Also your incoming train could be running a few minutes late.

It would be perverse, in my opinion, for a passenger to be PF (Penalty Fare)'d or issued a full fare UFN(resolve) when the inability to purchase a ticket is the fault of the rail industry and not a mistake or deliberate action on the part of the passenger.

As mentioned, I've only experienced a problem once but that was a coming together of many circumstances; late running, failed Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) and tight connection, that saw me get all the way to Bracknell without having had an opportunity to purchase.

There are other occasions when I've been changing at Bristol Temple Meads after arriving on an inward local service where I've not had a chance to buy my ticket and I've decided not to risk queueing lest I miss the connection I want to make.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 17:25:57 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 18:21:19 »

I like it! I really must start reading the small print about these things.

Now, please!
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 13:05:33 »

Changing Trains.
A passenger who changes onto a penalty fares train at a penalty fares station may normally be charged a penalty fare if ticket facilities were available at the interchange station and warning notices were displayed where they could be seen by anyone changing onto the penalty fares train. However, under conditions 2 & 3 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, the full normal range of tickets must be made available to any passenger who started their journey at a station where either no ticket issuing facilities existed, or those that were available were limited to an extent that the passenger was unable to purchase the appropriate ticket for the journey they wished to make. In these circumstances, a passenger should not be expected to buy a ticket at the interchange station if they do not have enough time to do so without missing their connection. If it is not possible to check whether or not ticket facilities were available at the station where the passenger started their journey (which may be a station run by a different train company), a penalty fare should not be charged.
However, Byelaws make no mention of acceptable waiting times etc; and I would think that FC(resolve) would have no issue with prosecuting you.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 17:00:12 »

However, Byelaws make no mention of acceptable waiting times etc; and I would think that FC(resolve) would have no issue with prosecuting you.

I assume you mean First Capital Connect (FCC (First Capital Connect))? They'd be on a hiding to nothing if they did. Yes, they are quite robust in prosecuting ticketless travel and they have made the odd mistake, but in this scenario they'd likely fail if they attempted prosecution. I don't think they'd even try.

In my opinion, the absence from the Byelaws of details about interchange stations and minimum connection times doesn't give a TOC (Train Operating Company) more chance of a successful prosecution.

We're talking about journeys beginning at stations with no ticket facilities, or when an opportunity has not arisen to buy on board your first train. What is available after that is irrelevant when it comes to the Byelaw on ticketless travel:

18. Ticketless travel in non-compulsory ticket areas

(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket entitling him to travel.

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do so by an authorised person.

(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) if:

(i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or validation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where, he began his journey; or
(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or
(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a valid ticket.

No mention of interchange stations or minimum connection times. A prosecution could only go ahead under Byelaw 18 if there were facilities at the station where the journey began. Under Byelaw 18 there is nothing that says the passenger is compelled to seek out ticketing facilities on their journey when they've started from a station that has no facilities. That is a station with no ticket office, no Ticket Vending Machine and no Permit To Travel machine. If there are machines they have to be in working order.

I'd be very surprised if a Byelaw 18 prosecution was successful when the TOC is attempting to prosecute someone for not buying a ticket where they changed trains, when they started their journey at a station with no facilities. I've certainly not heard of such a case yet.

All that said, if you have time and it won't delay your journey, then by all means purchase your ticket at the interchange station.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 17:42:30 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 20:03:25 »

I assume you mean First Capital Connect (FCC (First Capital Connect))? They'd be on a hiding to nothing if they did. Yes, they are quite robust in prosecuting ticketless travel and they have made the odd mistake, but in this scenario they'd likely fail if they attempted prosecution. I don't think they'd even try.
I wouldn't put it past them.  I've been threatened with "a ^1000 fine and 6 months in prison" having arrived at Bedford Midland from Woburn Sands without a ticket.

That didn't really wash with me and I think my glaring face spoke a thousand words.  Next thing, I was being charged just ^3.10 (the railcard discounted return fare that I'd asked for).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 20:14:03 »

Which reinforces my point. They'd be on a hiding to nothing if they attempted a prosecution.

It's not on, however, that RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) can make baseless threats and could actually trouser more money from an unsuspecting passenger than necessary.

That's why my advice, when not holding a ticket through no fault of your own, is to only pay the fare that would've payable had there been facilities available at your start station. You then aren't already out of pocket and have time and opportunity to mount a defence should the TOC (Train Operating Company) decide to pursue the matter.

If you've done nothing wrong then a prosecution can not succeed.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 20:31:12 »

But byelaw 18(2) requires the traveller to only have had the opportunity to purchase a ticket before it is shown, that opportunity could (and has been successfully argued in court) be that there was a guard on the previous train or that there were facilities at your interchange station. In such case the RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) would not ask for any money at the time as the matter would be reported.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 21:04:29 »

Byelaw 18(2)?

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do so by an authorised person.

Not sure what you are saying here vacman. You can not be in breach of either Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) if there was no opportunity to purchase a ticket at the station where you started your journey, so says Byelaw 18(3)(i).

There is no mention in the Byelaws of other opportunities, be they on board or at an interchange. Can you point me to a case where someone has been prosecuted (as you say it has been successfully argued in court) having not had an opportunity to purchase a ticket at their start station.

An RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) may well report, but the likelihood of a prosecution is, in my opinion, zero. Unless there are other offences commited.

If the RPI refuses the fare due then all that can be collected at a later date is that fare.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 21:46:56 »

This all goes to suggest that the unfortunate innocent may well pony up big money when confronted by an official, whereas the savvy travvy with knowledge of the rules will stand his ground, and get the supersaver return, plus a discount for inconvenience. Tjat doesn't appeal to my sense of fair play.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 22:06:48 »

I totally agree FTN. (Must stop saying that!)

The deck really is stacked in favour of the rail industry. They have Penalty Fares, Byelaws and the Regulation of Railways Act 1889 at their disposal. Coupled with a fares systems that is extremely complex with many pitfalls for the unwary.

All I can do is arm myself with as much knowledge of the system as possible and offer advice where appropriate.

I don't condone deliberate fare evasion, but will always side with the individual when they have been caught in one of the many pitfalls, through little or no fault of their own.

I am however most definitely not a lawyer and anyone facing a Penalty Fare, Byelaw prosecution or worse should seek as much advice as possible. My main piece of advice is to pay or offer to pay only the fare due when challenged. If you have done nothing wrong then that'll be the end of the matter. If a Penalty Fare has been correctly issued then you have time to pay the balance after seeking advice.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:10:21 »

Yes, I was referring to First Capital Connect (whose official abbreviation is FC(resolve) not CC or FCC (First Capital Connect) (Although the latter is regularly used, a little like FGW (First Great Western) (actually GW (Great Western))! Smiley )).

Would they be on a hiding to nothing? Plenty of people incriminate themselves when writing their version of events or while they are being questioned. This is why First Group's prosecution letters do not specifically say what they will prosecute you under as they reserve the right to decide later. Equally plenty of people settle out of court to avoid a [threatened] criminal record.

I wasn't aware, at the time of writing my first message that this person had travelled from a station with no facilities. You are correct, Byelaw 18 doesn't apply in the situation you have described.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:28:33 by EBrown » Logged

EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:50 »

A TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) which is card-only *I believe*, in FGWs (First Great Western) mind, constitutes full working order.

NB: Edited to reflect that this is solely my opinion and *isn't* based on any evidence I have in my inbox and that I *cannot* distribute.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 17:26:56 by EBrown » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: