DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningDelayed
17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 22:14:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Community Rail Festival 2012: September 29, 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Unique opportunity to travel the Portbury Branch Line - Saturday 29 Sept 2012  (Read 57704 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: August 22, 2012, 23:08:18 »

First Great Western is delighted to be hosting the Community Rail Festival 2012 at Bristol Temple Meads Station on Saturday 29 September.

Visitors to the festival will have the opportunity to ride a special charter train from Bristol Temple Meads along the Portbury Branch Line, through the Avon Gorge and below Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge.

The line is currently only used by freight services but is the subject of a campaign to re-open it to passenger traffic.

The event promises to be an excellent day for visitors and residents and will include a station gala with stalls, attractions and information, promoting the achievements of Community Rail Partnerships throughout the UK (United Kingdom).

Five special trains will run between 09:00 and 16:00 and tickets must be booked in advance through the First Great Western website via the following link: www.fgwevents.co.uk/communityrailfestival

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 20:11:22 »

Thanks for letting us know I have  requested some tickets for the 09:05 departure from Bristol TM(resolve)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 21:05:01 »

May pop up from Taunton for the 1209. I've requested some tickets for that one.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 22:51:47 »

Thanks for letting us know

No problem!  Cheesy

As it's on my home ground (Severnside Community Rail Partnership), I'll be there on the day, too: I'll be happy to chat with any of you who might want to introduce yourselves.

Chris.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 21:10:49 »

Thanks Chris, I've asked for the 12.09

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 21:17:53 »

I've asked for the 09:05.  Hopefully I can fit it in before work.
Temple Meads

HST's are the future..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 23:11:19 »

I should be there, travelling on the 12:09.

Passenger and  Enthusiast
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 15:10:51 »

I've booked on the 1108.....
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 20:29:40 »

I am also booked on the 1109.  CfN can you let us know any more about the arrangements for the tickets.  I get a web confirmation when I booked but there is no information about price or when you will get confirmation that you actually have a ticket.  I am away for two weeks from this Friday (so can't make the get together on 15th) and don't want to miss out purely because I can't respond to an email on time.  Thanks

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 21:07:30 »

It won't cost anything to get on the special train.

People should be receive an email this week letting them know if they will be getting tickets in the post.

Hope that helps Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 21:12:17 »

People should be receive an email this week letting them know if they will be getting tickets in the post.

Hope that helps Smiley

Thanks, Ollie.   Also acts as a reminder not to count our chickens tickets before they're hatched delivered.  I hadn't realised that having my request accepted doesn't actually mean I've been quick enough to get a ticket.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 21:18:12 »

ive requested the 1208 so may see some of you
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 21:22:28 »

I have also requested the 12:09
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 22:49:55 »

The website advertising this opportunity "fgwevents" appears rather obscure. How would anyone find it if they didn't know where to look (or have a helpful link)?

Whilst I was searching the main fgw site for details of the special trains, I found under "events" a whole series of events ranging from Stoke City's home matches, to a festival at Manchester Piccadilly Platform 4, all of which you can apparently reach with FGW (First Great Western). There were others from elsewhere in the country, before anyone thinks First have pre-empted their takeover of the WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)) franchise. I'm not quite sure what the relevance is to FGW.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 22:57:44 »

Hope that helps Smiley

Thanks, Ollie.   Also acts as a reminder not to count our chickens tickets before they're hatched delivered.  I hadn't realised that having my request accepted doesn't actually mean I've been quick enough to get a ticket.

VERY good point. It's only down to inefficiency on my part that I haven't booked connecting tickets to Bristol Temple Meads.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: