18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:28 Exmouth to Paignton
20:22 Paignton to Exmouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 17:59:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The new franchise - what will happen to LTV services over the next 10 years?  (Read 13562 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2012, 17:22:55 »

I thought I^d try to start a discussion about how the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) part of the Greater Western Franchise might eventually end up during and after the several shake-ups that will settle down eventually at the end of the decade.  I think the best way to do this is to list the alterations that will be taking place and to give my opinions on what the best solutions to the various issues raised will be.  It is by no means an easy set of conclusions!

How it is now
The situation now is fairly simple.  The LTV service is operated by a fleet of 20 2-Car Turbos, 37 3-Car Turbos (21 of which are Class 166s), 5x Class 360s used on the Heathrow Connect services, and 2x Class 150s.  Those trains are backed up with a fleet of 5 Class 180s, and certain other services are operated by HSTs (High Speed Train).

Turbos exclusively (or near exclusively) cover services from Reading to Guildford/Gatwick, London to Newbury/Bedwyn, Oxford to London stoppers, Oxford to Banbury, London to Greenford, Slough to Windsor, Maidenhead to Marlow, and Twyford to Henley services.  Turbos also cover many of the Oxford to London fasts as well as a few of the Cotswold Line services, backed up with Class 180s and HSTs (especially in the peak hours).

The Class 360s work the half-hourly Heathrow Connect service as well as the Terminal 4 shuttle service at the airport.

What is on the horizon
As I see it, the recent announcements of GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification, further electrification announced in the HLOS (High Level Output Specification), as well as the construction of Crossrail will radically alter the type of train and pattern of service that we will see over the coming years.

There appears to be four distinct stages due before the end of the decade;
1)   The electrification of the routes from London to Oxford/Newbury ^ Scheduled for Dec 2016.
2)   The electrification of the routes from Basingstoke to Reading, the Thames Valley branches, and north of Oxford to Nuneaton via Banbury ^ Scheduled for sometime between 2014-2019.
3)   The replacement of Heathrow Connect service with Crossrail services from Paddington (High Level) to Heathrow at 4tph frequency ^ Scheduled for May 2018.
4)   Full Crossrail implementation ^ Scheduled for Dec 2019.

All of this presents the new operator of the Greater Western Franchise with ever-moving goalposts ^ the number of electric units required between 2016 and 2019 is much more than will be required after 2019 when Crossrail takes over most of the Paddington suburban services.  That presents the franchisee with a problem if it is going to obtain new stock, as it will need somewhere to go to after that!

What kind of service will be operating from December 2016?
By then the London to Oxford/Newbury route should be using electric trains.  But what electric trains?  When Lord Adonis announced the original electrification plan for the GWML in July 2009, he said that Class 319s transferred from the ^Thameslink^ route and given a refresh including air-conditioning would operate over the route.  This is now in doubt, as with further electrification in the North West (where 319s were also going to go), as well as the extensions to the Greater Western franchise operated services, means that even with 86 4-car units ripe for a cascade, that probably won^t be enough to go round.

Will there be an order for new EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) to work over the Greater Western route?  My guess is that there will be.  The 319s will go up north where they will be much better received by a less demanding public and all 86 will go into use working the newly electrified routes, possibly including some of those currently worked by Transpennine DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

If a new order of EMUs is ordered for the Greater Western franchise, what form will it take?  4-car, 100mph units have been the norm for electric traction orders in recent decades, usually around 80 metres in length with carriages of 20m in length.  That makes them 11m longer than the current 3-Car Turbo fleet, which doesn^t sound like much, but is significant in terms of platform lengths.  I would imagine that they will be specified for 110mph working to make better use of the GWML^s ruling linespeeds (as Network Rail have stated is desirable).  The trouble with having a fleet of 4-car units is that it is much less flexible than the current Turbo fleet of 2 and 3-car lengths.  With the Turbos you can have any configuration from 2-6 carriages with a bit of mixing and matching (you could actually go up to 12 cars with the correct infrastructure).  With 4-car units you either have a 4-car train, or couple two together to go to 8-cars.  This leaves you with the conundrum that 4-car trains won^t be long enough to operate busy services, but 8-car trains would need expensive platform extensions, or a fleet fitted with Selective Door Operation (SDO (Selective Door Opening)) equipment ^ not to mention being too long outside of rush hour!  For those reasons, perhaps a 5-car length train would be more suitable to the kind of services most of them will operate on?

Even with 4-car trains, you have problems at some routes currently worked by Turbos.  For example, some or all platforms at places like Appleford, Culham, and Goring would need lengthening if SDO isn^t used.  This is also assuming that places like Southall and West Drayton on the Crossrail route will have been lengthened by 2016, so that 8-car trains will be able to stop there.  In some cases these platforms will only need a couple of metres added to them, but they will all need doing before electric trains take over.

The problem at Bourne End and Marlow is even more serious with the junction at Bourne End meaning a 2-car Turbo is the longest train that can be accommodated when going as far as Marlow.  The operational platforms length could just about be extended to cope with a 3-car 20m electric train though.

Perhaps the points raised in the previous paragraphs means that some EMUs will be ordered that will be of 3-car in length?  Unusual for an EMU, but certainly possible.

The service pattern will be similar to today I should imagine, but there will need to be alterations to the Turbo fleet, especially on the Paddington to Bedwyn service which will presumably become a Paddington to Newbury EMU operated service, with either a diesel Turbo shuttle service from Newbury to Bedwyn or an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) operated service running though from Paddington via Reading and Newbury serving Kintbury, Hungerford and Bedwyn (and beyond). 

Also, the Paddington-Greenford service will become a West Ealing to Greenford shuttle service (presumably using two units with an increased 15 or 20-minute frequency).  I^m not sure, long term, that the Greenford service staying in the hands of the Greater Western franchise is a good idea, as it will have absolutely no direct link with other Greater Western services post-Crossrail, but whoever operates it, there will be much greater scope for coping with peak passenger growth to and from Paddington as the two paths per hour currently using these 2-car DMUs, could potentially be taken over by 8-car EMU^s until replaced by 10-car Crossrail EMUs in 2019.

List of possible December 2016 options
So, here is a list of the most likely solutions:
1)   Build a new build of a mix of 3 and 4-car EMUs based on the 110mph Class 350 EMU (or equivalent from another supplier).
2)   Use cascaded Class 319s and reduce a few of them in length to 3-cars, or seek other cascaded stock of 3-car length (Perhaps the aging Class 313s currently in use with First Capital Connect?).
3)   Use a 2-car Turbo all day on the Marlow Donkey and extend platforms at other stations to cope with 160m long electric trains (or in some cases 80m).
4)   Modify Bourne End (at significant expense) so that it can handle a 4-car, 80m train and just have a fleet of 80m units.
5)   Obtain a smallish fleet of new/cascaded EMUs, but continue to use a lot of Turbo units ^under the wires^ until 2019 when they will be replaced with Crossrail units.

What kind of service will be operating from December 2019?
At least things will have settled down by then with the only other (known) major change being the new western link into Heathrow Airport, due in the early 20s.  Though of course other major projects in later years, such as HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) along with whatever else might be dreamt up in the intervening years might mean the situation is anything but settled!

Assuming that the current plan for Crossrail remains, i.e. its western terminus being Maidenhead, then a large number of the inner-LTV services will be taken over by Crossrail.  There will, however, continue to be a reasonable number of services, both diesel and electric, being operated over the LTV routes.

It is likely that the North Downs line from Reading to Gatwick, and the Kennet Line to Newbury and Bedwyn will remain largely unchanged from the service operating from 2016, though there may be a case to provide links further west from Reading to Oxford.  But other routes will all see alterations:

The DMU service from Reading to Basingstoke and Oxford to Banbury could be EMU operated ^ though again, without platform extensions it would have to be a 3-Car EMU.
There will need to be some sort of shuttle service operating from Reading to Slough ^ presumably using EMUs ^ unless somebody sees sense soon and extends Crossrail to Reading.  Sadly the HLOS refused to budge in this respect, saying the majority of respondents to the consolation preferred Maidenhead (mine certainly didn^t!), so we have to assume it won^t happen.

That will mean an EMU operated service from Reading to Slough.  The Oxford to London stopping service which currently runs twice and hour may continue to run (using the two relief line off-peak paths promised between Maidenhead and London), but would probably have some of its stops removed, by perhaps calling after Reading at Twyford, Maidenhead, Slough, Hayes & Harlington, Ealing Broadway and Paddington ^ much as they used to in the Thames Trains days.  The less stops, the harder to path though with all those Crossrail services.  I don^t envy the timetable planners.

You^ll also have a Greater Western operated EMU service operating from London/Reading to Newbury, Maidenhead to Marlow (presumably), Slough to Windsor, Twyford to Henley-On-Thames.  Perhaps the fleet of Heathrow Connect units would be suited to work the Thames Valley branches?  Added to that, the probability that some of the Oxford to London fast trains will also be operated by EMUs, rather than the whole lot going over to IEP operation. 

Peak hour through services to places like Henley and Bourne End are likely to continue, and it^s possible that new services could be provided, for example an hourly London to Swindon EMU service calling at Slough, Reading, Didcot, Wantage and Swindon would enable other IEPs to potentially have stops at Reading and/or Didcot removed.

What do I see happening until the end of the decade?
Very tricky one to answer, that.  There are so many variables.  We^ll all know a lot more when the winning of the franchise is announced and their plans revealed, but here are my hunches as to what service we will see.

Firstly, it doesn^t make business sense to acquire a large fleet of electric units only to see them not needed after just three years when Crossrail takes over.  A smallish fleet of about 25-30 4-car units would probably enable many of the Oxford-Paddington stopping services (and a few of the fast services) and the Newbury-Paddington service to go over to electric traction.  With Turbos continuing to work some of the Reading-Paddington services before being displaced in 2019 by Crossrail trains, that would mean a two phased cascade of Turbo units eventually leaving a core fleet of around 10-15 units for operating the remaining diesel services on the North Downs line as well as Bedwyn to Newbury and West Ealing to Greenford post-2019.  A few of the electric units above could then be reduced to 3-car length to work Oxford-Banbury and Reading-Basingstoke services as well as the Thames Valley branch lines.

I personally don^t think we^ll see any cascaded Class 319s.  The North West will swallow all of them up I think and a new fleet of EMUs will be ordered.  Perhaps a smallish order with a mixture of 5/4/3 cars to attempt to tick all the boxes, with some DMUs continuing under the wires during the period between 2016-2019?

Or, if there is somewhere for the surplus electric units to be cascaded to (such as the Bristol area, or the East-West Rail route), then perhaps a larger order of EMUs could be justified, with the extra units being cascaded there after Crossrail starts to take over in May 2018 and is then fully implemented in December 2019?

An awful lot rests on the huge amount of electrification and other infrastructure improvements coming to fruition on time.  If we look at recent projects, hardly anything is completed on time.  Look at the original estimates for Cotswold Line Redoubling when they were at the early stages of planning ^ it was a year late.  Evergreen 3 should have been up and running in less than a year from now, when in reality it hasn^t even been authorised yet.  Chiltern Mainline was a few months late on the revised delivery date at the start of last year.   Even certain elements of the Reading rebuild are running late when compared with the dates stated in the CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) delivery plan statement of March 2009 ^ we should have seen the new platforms opening this November, not next Easter and the new maintenance depot by next February and not the end of next year.

Maybe those are fairly small slippages, but when a whole heap of unit cascades, timetable changes, staff training etc. rests on all of the jigsaw pieces of these big projects being put into place on time ^ then that worries me a little!

So, what do people on the forum think?  Am I right, am I wrong, have I missed potential problems and solutions completely?   We^ve touched on some of these issues already, but in looking at them as a whole wider picture is very important in my opinion.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 17:46:24 »

Sadly, as a mere local customer on FGW (First Great Western) services I probably don't have enough detailed knowledge to comment on your post II but I appreciate the time and effort you must have out in to create this and I look forward to following the discussion with interest.

One thing is for sure - we are going to see a lot of changes in our region over the next decade - it will be interesting to see what form the rail services will take when my son (currently 7 years old) is old enough to work. Who knows, maybe his dream of becoming a train driver will come true !
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 18:03:59 »

Thanks for the post, a very good summary IMO (in my opinion)! Grin

One thing we can be sure of is that trains will be smaller than they should, not enough for expansion, Crossrail staying at Maidenhead resulting in a stupid service pattern, I bet the new EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) will not be fit for 110.

Oxford services will be cut to 100mph EMU operation, ending the prospects for journey time decreases. A service that could be 45mins with frequent services and low fares (combined with Chiltern's service) could destroy the coach market. Cotswold services could be sped up.

Extra stops at Maidenhead and Tyford will occur on many services (inclduing all Oxford "fasts") to compensate for Crossrail. Of course, what we need is for stops to be CUT!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 18:20:41 »

I bet the new EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) will not be fit for 110.

Oxford services will be cut to 100mph EMU operation, ending the prospects for journey time decreases. A service that could be 45mins with frequent services and low fares (combined with Chiltern's service) could destroy the coach market. Cotswold services could be sped up.

Extra stops at Maidenhead and Tyford will occur on many services (inclduing all Oxford "fasts") to compensate for Crossrail. Of course, what we need is for stops to be CUT!

Well, the ITT (Invitation to Tender) document uses the following text to describe speeds of the units:

The composition of the fleet to operate the London suburban services from December 2016 and in subsequent years. Bidders shall explain the reasons for choosing:
between new and cascaded fleets;
the performance of the rolling stock including top speed capability (e.g. 90mph, 100, 110, 125 etc) and acceleration and braking rates;
the mix of diesel and electric sets;
which displaced vehicles will be redeployed within the franchise and which vehicles will be returned to their owning ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) when Crossrail takes over services in May 2018 and December 2019; and
continued operation of DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) where it is in operation at the date of this ITT.

It should be noted that Network Rail believes that vehicles capable of 110mph running are necessary to maximise the benefits of the overall infrastructure investments on the route. Bidders should come to their own assessments of this view.

That's where you let yourself down sometimes, Btline, with statements like 'Oxford services will be cut to 100mph EMU operation' as nobody knows if that's the case or not yet - hence this debate, and even if they are that's better than the many 90mph services currently provided.  Presumably those services currently operated at 125mph will continue to do so with IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) operation.

I would hazard a guess that cascaded stock will be 100mph and if new stock it procured it will be 110mph as that seems to be the way we're going with recent EMU orders.  A 110mph service from Oxford to London would make a sub-50 minute journey time within reach if Slough was cut, and sub-55 minutes if it wasn't.  Either way, I doubt 45 minutes on a regular basis is likely.  I think stops at Maidenhead and Twyford could be allowed for in the two relief paths guaranteed, rather than on Oxford to London services, but of course that might not happen.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 18:28:07 »

I'm just basing my hypothesis on my pessimistic view of things. Undecided Esp the view of Worcester as Cinderella. (semaphores won't be axed until the 2050s)

I read that Xrail would almost certainly get extended to RDG(resolve). Now it looks as if it won't. (and for goodness sake, get it onto the WCML (West Coast Main Line) slows) This shows that things get changed.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 19:33:37 »

I was discussing the use of 319's on the TVL today with someone involved in the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification .......... there is a bit of an issue and that is the over promise of 319's to the extent that the promise use is about 50% more than there is train sets for  Grin

An option is some 395 type trains (without out shoe gear) to run the Oxford direct fasts and potentially a London - Swindon semi fast with potential new stations at Wantage Rd and one other location near Swindon (radical I know  Shocked )

When the Crossrail order is placed additional shorter Units ordered for the TVL services perhaps with different seat config, oh a don't forget there will be a order for the Cardiff Valley lines ......... or are they getting 313  Grin

Then there is cascaded stock coming off of the Liverpool Street services

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 21:02:55 »

Thanks II for a very good summary.

Definitely a case of "May you live in interesting times"

How about to solve the Marlow problem get some proper tram/trains a la Karlsrurh or Kassel dual voltage 600Dc 25Kv? Electrify the Marlow branch with lightweight tram caternery and put some loops in at Cookaham and elsewhere they can be relatively short and run a 10 or 15 minute shuttle with peak trains to and from Padd. 

Otherewise a small set of Stadler Narrow gauge EMUS, they seem to much the same size as our untis, the only trouble is most are now low floor so you add the problem of platform heights.

If I come up with any other mad ideas I'll post them.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 09:42:28 »

When the Crossrail order is placed additional shorter Units ordered for the TVL services perhaps with different seat config, oh a don't forget there will be a order for the Cardiff Valley lines ......... or are they getting 313  Grin

I suppose that having a compatible fleet with Crossrail would be useful in terms of rescuing failed trains - perhaps a 5-car variant?  With regard to the Crossrail sets, I wonder what seating layout will be chosen?  Perhaps, in a 10-car train, a good compromise would be to have a 3-4-3 formation where the three coaches at either end have comfortable suburban seating, mostly 'airline' style (or 'bus' style as Broadgauge describes it) at 2+2, with the middle four coaches (likely to be the busiest within central London) fitted with longitudinal seating 'tube' style giving plenty of standing space?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:57 »

I'm just basing my hypothesis on my pessimistic view of things. Undecided Esp the view of Worcester as Cinderella. (semaphores won't be axed until the 2050s)

I read that Xrail would almost certainly get extended to RDG(resolve). Now it looks as if it won't. (and for goodness sake, get it onto the WCML (West Coast Main Line) slows) This shows that things get changed.

I quite agree with your comments on Crossrail, though Worcester is set to lose its semaphores a long time before the 2050s according to the Invitation To Tender for the Greater Western franchise:

The Western Operating Strategy proposes the acceleration of three Re-signalling Projects in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) to deliver significant operational and OPEX benefits:
1) Plymouth ^ Penzance Re-signalling (2017);
2) Worcester Area (2018); and
3) Greenford Re-signalling (2018).

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 13:53:06 »

Hooray I assume resignally includes a new track layout at Worcester?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 16:13:57 »

Hooray I assume resignally includes a new track layout at Worcester?

I expect we'll find out more when NR» (Network Rail - home page) releases their CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) Strategic Business Plan, which I think is due next January and I must say I'm bloody looking forward to reading it!  Tongue

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 16:34:09 »

No mention in this discussion about the talked about Oxford/Gatwick service using the refurbished underpass at Reading. Mark Hopwood has spoken optimisticly about this possibility. Would that mean using one of the existing 2 slow TPH (trains per hour) Oxford/London trains to make an hourly O/G service? How about power souces for such a service - 5 car Bi-mode?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 17:17:27 »

No mention in this discussion about the talked about Oxford/Gatwick service using the refurbished underpass at Reading. Mark Hopwood has spoken optimisticly about this possibility. Would that mean using one of the existing 2 slow TPH (trains per hour) Oxford/London trains to make an hourly O/G service? How about power souces for such a service - 5 car Bi-mode?

I did mention it in the post-Dec 2019 section (but it probably should have been mentioned in the post-Dec 2016 section).  I'm in two minds about it to be honest, and I think the electrification plan actually decreases the likelihood of it happening, even though it becomes slightly easier using the underpass at Reading.  I don't think there are the paths, unless you utilise one of the Oxford to Reading stopping paths which then means slow journeys, as the minimum time for an Oxford-Reading stopper is 40 minutes with trains currently taking much longer thanks to long layovers at Didcot.  Traction wise, you really are looking at a Turbo unless there is some infill 3rd Rail enabling 319s to be a possibility - I can't see that though to be honest.  I certainly can't personally see how a 5-Car bi-mode operated train would make any money.  Then again, Mr Hopwood might have other ideas!

Perhaps, as used to happen until about seven years ago, a couple of early morning/late evening Gatwick services could be extended from/to Oxford?

In some ways, I think a better solution would be for a 2-hourly XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service using the current Newcastle to Reading trains which could then go forward to Guildford, Gatwick and (possibly) on to Brighton, that would give useful direct (and fast) links from Birmingham, Leamington, Banbury and Oxford (and Coventry in the longer term) but then again it's already been tried in a manner of speaking back around 10 years ago, requires an extra unit, and long signalling headways on the North Downs line after Wokingham make pathing difficult!

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 17:25:46 »

The North Downs line needs an upgrade - now.
Then fast & frequent trains can run from Reading (or Oxford) to both Tonbridge/Ashford (how about Canterbury/ Margate in the Summer?) and Gatwick/Brighton.
Supplemented by local services following 3 mins behind.

Of course, this would require re-signalling, electrification and flyovers at Redhill, and possibly another platform at Gatwick.

East Surrey and Kent are really blocked off from the rest of the UK (United Kingdom) by London, this would help by getting local and long distance traffic off the Southern M25.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 20:35:11 »

The North Downs line needs an upgrade - now.
Then fast & frequent trains can run from Reading (or Oxford) to both Tonbridge/Ashford (how about Canterbury/ Margate in the Summer?) and Gatwick/Brighton.
Supplemented by local services following 3 mins behind.

Is there really a demand for through services of that distance, especally as you good do Reading - Stratford on Crossrail and change onto HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) Or even a change at Faringdon and St Pancras

Of course, this would require re-signalling, electrification and flyovers at Redhill, and possibly another platform at Gatwick.

Gatwick is having another platform built.  North Downs electrification now there is a quandary, to take up the option of passive provision of an AC / DC (Direct Current) interface at Reading or wire the Reading's and Windsor's to Staines or further East and the wire the North Downs or conrail the North Downs (unlikely), either way the North Downs electrification is not even on the radar for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) in other words the very long grass

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: