Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 01:55:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: "The InterCity 125: The Age of the Train" BBC Four 9pm 13/09/2012  (Read 29428 times)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 22:18:11 »

What a nice programme that was.  I would have liked more about the HST (High Speed Train) itself but will not complain at all at the high profile it gave to Sir Peter Parker, a massive and positive figure in our railway history.

To all you youngsters (lol), things really were grim in the mid 70s and through to the late 80s. The IC125 was quite a beacon....

When the time comes for the last one to run in service, I'll bung ^50 in to the pot to return a train to blue and grey with Inter-City 125 on the power cars.  I hope the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) will restore a full set to original condition (apart from the engines, which can stay modern!)  

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 00:16:13 »

The stated aim of the 125 Group, who were 'thanked' on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) programme, "is to preserve an example of this fine train after the end of its working life." Their affiliate company, Valenta Diesels Ltd has already acquired a quantity of original engines and cooler groups. I've joined the 125 Group, doing my little bit to ensure one or more of these fine trains enter preservation.

I'd like to hear a Paxman Valenta (or rather it's massive turbo) scream again.

Restored to original internal condition would also be good, although I'm not sure about that lurid orange interior for the buffet car. Would give me a headache stood at the counter for more than a few minutes.

The full "Overture One Two Five" promotional film, as shown in cinemas in 1978/79, can be seen on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJB3N9pK0k

From the British Film Institute:
With specially-composed music by David Gow and no commentary, Overture One-Two-Five was the last complete production to be shot on 35mm film by British Transport Films. It was produced to mark the introduction of the new Inter-City 125 High Speed Train services between Paddington and Bristol. One of the last high budget productions, it was treated to a coat of Technicolor and a theatrical cinema release. It also unknowingly marked the beginning of the slow decline that eventually led to the closure of the unit. With the abandoning of support features and shorts at cinemas in the late 1970s and early '80s, the majority of British Transport films made after 1978 were made primarily for internal use.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 06:24:21 »

Wasn't it the case that in the early days HSTs (High Speed Train) were not allowed through Box at maximum speed in case two passed and blew the windows in?  I was told that by a railwayman at the time but not sure if it was myth.
Myth. Probably based on the known problem with the toilets at Alderton Tunnel. However there may have been an issue with bodyside main windows as well at Alderton, I'm not sure now.

HST's don't go through Box Tunnel at anything like 125 mph anyway unless they are right away through Chippenham on the Down line. The 100 mph line limit on the down line starts at Box end of Middle Hill Tunnel. So down HST's will be on the brakes around 3/4 of the way through Box Tunnel.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:30:45 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Trundling gently round the SW
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:48 »

Like others I enjoyed the program enough to stay up and see it until the end (I'm not old, I just have to get up at 5am every day!)

It seemed strange to see a resturant car with the old "red stripe" rather than the yellow/gold of first class.

I was also interested to see about the APT (Advanced Passenger Train) whose fortunes I followed when it was under development (maybe I am old!). A close relative of mine who lives near the line going through Milton Keynes used to report seeing it undergoing testing - I believe I rememeber seeing it parked at the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) in York but that was many years ago.

I do remember the HST (High Speed Train) power cars being unreliable in their early days...of course that would never happen with modern trains...<cough>180</cough>!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 08:01:48 »

I had a lot of respect for Peter Parker, despite the way the Ray Buckton the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) leader portrayed Peter Parker he had a very good connection with the grass roots staff, I recall he turned up on a night shift at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) to be greeted by all the Regional, Divisional & Area managers he sent them packing saying if wanted to see them it would be between 9am to 5pm Mon to Fri and then walked off around the depot with the shift supervisors.

BR (British Rail(ways)) had been running modern 100mph stock for a quite a while before the 125 the Mk2c (forced ventilation) the Mk2d to f with air con had not caught the public imagination the 125 if it had been an engine and coaches would not have cached on the same it was the inspiration of the moder uniform look, the sleek advertising and above all the bravery of Peter Parker and the Board at the time to spend, money, the resource which was in the shortest of supply at the time.

I am not sure there was quite the rivalry at Derby the program made out, the HSDT (Original name for High Speed Train) and not the 'D' was seen as the stop gap to full electrification, on the BRB(resolve) plan for electrification the GWML (Great Western Main Line) will be delivered 25 years late!

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:46 »

I had a lot of respect for Peter Parker, despite the way the Ray Buckton the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) leader portrayed Peter Parker he had a very good connection with the grass roots staff, I recall he turned up on a night shift at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) to be greeted by all the Regional, Divisional & Area managers he sent them packing saying if wanted to see them it would be between 9am to 5pm Mon to Fri and then walked off around the depot with the shift supervisors.

I agree with your comments about Peter Parker - at the time of course the country was gripped by the Unions so I think Ray Buckton's response was probably of the time. Before anyone flames me I had first hand experience of "working with the unions" at this time as I was working at an Aluminium plant in South Wales -those were interesting and challenging times Smiley
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:34 »

Yes, a very interesting programme, I almost felt proud (as I hope did ElectricTrain and others here) to have been associated with the introduction of HST (High Speed Train)'s.  I remember that the then General Manager of the Western Region Leslie Lloyd (the last GM of the old sort) threw a party for some of those involved (+ wives etc) at Castle Bar BRSA (British Rail Staff Association), and we then had a special train from Castle Bar halt back to Reading afterwards!

Some of the film sequences reminded me of the catering on the trains as originally produced.  They had full kitchen cars (TRK?) as well as buffet cars (TSB?) - I think before mobile phones and laptops etc came along everyone was expected to eat and drink for the entire journey.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 09:26:53 »

I was actually on an HST (High Speed Train) when the programme was on last night so haven't had a chance to watch it yet but reading this thread brings back all sorts of memories.

Remember in the days before widespread use of mobile phones there was a payphone in the buffet area?

Also how at first any set due to travel over, I think, 100mph had to have two crewmen up front.

..and the first HST on my train set which had lights which lit up in the direction of travel!
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 21:08:37 »

A good programme, but I did get annoyed by the fact that the facts about the APT (Advanced Passenger Train) were tailored to the story of 'HST (High Speed Train) good, APT bad'. The APT ran as a scheduled service in 1984, whereas it was implied it was quickly scrapped after the bad press of December 1981 (it wasn't mentioned that it was the coldest winter for many years, which impacted badly on the brakes). It probably could have been developed into BR (British Rail(ways))'s idea of a 'squadron' but the political will had gone. It also had the problem that 155mph running isn't much good if other trains ahead of you are only doing 110mph. Plus I'm sure the rivalry with the HST engineers existed, but the APT was entirely dependent on the government funding electrification across the country, something they've historically been very reluctant to do in case high speed trains can be powered by another source by the time electrification is complete (not yet and it doesn't look likely).

Anyway, a good programme other than the sniping at the APT.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 22:14:56 »

A good programme, but I did get annoyed by the fact that the facts about the APT (Advanced Passenger Train) were tailored to the story of 'HST (High Speed Train) good, APT bad'. The APT ran as a scheduled service in 1984, whereas it was implied it was quickly scrapped after the bad press of December 1981 (it wasn't mentioned that it was the coldest winter for many years, which impacted badly on the brakes). It probably could have been developed into BR (British Rail(ways))'s idea of a 'squadron' but the political will had gone. It also had the problem that 155mph running isn't much good if other trains ahead of you are only doing 110mph. Plus I'm sure the rivalry with the HST engineers existed, but the APT was entirely dependent on the government funding electrification across the country, something they've historically been very reluctant to do in case high speed trains can be powered by another source by the time electrification is complete (not yet and it doesn't look likely).

Anyway, a good programme other than the sniping at the APT.

The BR team that developed the APT set the ground rules for tilt trains it was advanced even for an advanced train due to its active tilt, the Pendelino it could be argued is a derivative of the APT but its tilt is not as advanced

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 19:14:19 »

It is on again this evening at 9.50 or 10.50 (I will check) on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) four for anyone that missed it..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 19:18:04 »

I should have checked before I posted.. 10.40pm.. BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) four tonight.. For those who missed it first and second time around like me (yep this is the third viewing)..Enjoy...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 02:49:25 »

Evidence from a recent trip on a HST (High Speed Train) that they still go like the clappers:

An Inter-City 126 between Bristol Parkway and Wootton Bassett Junction.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 19:12:58 »

Just found these clips on youtube. Some footage of 43002 Top of the Pops making it's record breaking run from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads on 30th August 1984. 62 minutes 33 seconds for the 117^ miles. Average speed just under 113mph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIhJnnyk4A The departure from Paddington.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM-Lw85CkN4 The arrival at Bristol Temple Meads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nh7p_2RMzg The naming of the train.

At the end of the first clip and the start of the second you might want to fast forward. Unless you like Tears For Fears and Bucks Fizz!

Simon Bates agrees with me. HSTs (High Speed Train) go like the clappers.  Grin

EDIT: There's this as well. Howard Jones performing (well, miming) on P3 at Temple Meads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HePvjFRlkHA
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 20:44:07 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 19:24:02 »

I was lucky enough to be on that trip and it certainly did go like the clappers right from the off. I understand the points at Paddington were specially secured to allow it to "launch out the blocks" like the proverbial bat out of a hot place.

I think it was the first time I had ever passed through Reading non stop.

Don't remember too much about the music at Bristol Temple Meads but I do recall the journey home was a bit slower!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: