Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:47:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail and bus worries raised in Lostwithiel  (Read 5830 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 29, 2012, 23:11:12 »

From the Cornish Guardian:

Concerned Lostwithiel residents have organised a Transport Users' Group to discuss the town's isolation from public transport networks.

Many through trains are not scheduled to stop at Lostwithiel station, and the impending reduction in London to Cornwall services could cause further reductions in rail transport.

Irregular bus services through the town make it difficult for patrons to make daily return journeys, leaving many who rely on public transport in Lostwithiel isolated.

Working with the Lostwithiel Town Forum, John and Jill Scott have produced a report which will be discussed on Monday, October 1, at the Community Centre, beginning at 8pm.

Mr Scott said: "The existing services do not meet the needs of either local residents or the many potential visitors to the town. The rail and bus companies concentrate on the bigger centres and completely ignore the needs of small towns and rural areas.

"For the many local residents who are dependent on public transport this is a disaster. Local businesses will suffer from a lack of visitors to the town."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 21:24:58 »

....mmm.  M-F 15 Down and 13 Up Services spread evenly throughout the day.  That's not bad for a fairly small town Roll Eyes  I can think of another place that would love that sort of service Wink
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 20:05:54 »

....mmm.  M-F 15 Down and 13 Up Services spread evenly throughout the day.  That's not bad for a fairly small town Roll Eyes  I can think of another place that would love that sort of service Wink
Other than peak times you very rarely pick up more than 2 or 3 passengers at Lostwithiel so surely its a case of "use it or lose it".
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 22:43:25 »

Just back from said meeting.  Very well attended, say 40 people, however the vocal majority were of a certain age who wanted the town to lobby for a plethora of bus services, to places including Liskeard, Plymouth, St Austell, and Truro.  When it was pointed out that there was a fairly regular train service to those destinations, it transpired that a bus was preferable as it was covered by the concession card and free.

It got me to wondering what the usage of our station would be if the concessions card were valid on the train as well.

Train related issues were much less discussed but included the lack of ticket sales, (and hence no accurate station useage figures), the lack of rolling stock, (sprinters), the frequency of STOPPING trains, and the effect that the mainline summer specials to Newquay have on the other mainline services.

Oddly, I came away with the impression that Cross Country and their 'vomiters' are more highly regarded than FGW (First Great Western).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:34 »

It got me to wondering what the usage of our station would be if the concessions card were valid on the train as well.

I rather suspect that if senior concessions (free travel at the point of use within England / Wales / Scotland) were provide equally on rail to road, you would see major flow changes leading to a need to strengthen many services to avoid severe overcrowding.   It's interesting to see comment in just about the next post made - at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6859.msg118475#msg118475 - concerning the strengthening of Heart of Wales services where some senior free travel is available at certain times of year / day = see (Welsh) and (English) detail

Where buses and trains provide alternative travel between the same two places, I would suspect that "free" rail travel to seniors would also result in a drop in bus passenger numbers, perhaps to the detriment of the frequency of the bus service.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:41:56 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 17:17:28 »

I cannot see free rail use being made available to holders of concessionary bus passes. However use of a bus pass as a senior rail card giving the 1/3 discount is a possibility as already noted for the experiment on some FGW (First Great Western) services out of Worcester to the South. In the present and likely continuing economic situation of this country it seems more likely that the free bus pass may be curtailed to save money. It would be interesting to see how the Worcester experiment works out.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 23:31:21 »

Completely agree.  We're not going to get widespread "free" use of trains with passes in Cornwall or elsewhere.  There's just not the capacity.

I remember the free day out BR (British Rail(ways)) gave to Senior Citizen's Railcard holders in the 70s.  It was a Sunday, I think and I remember a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item from a wedged Paddington......
Bristolboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 22:19:55 »

Completely agree.  We're not going to get widespread "free" use of trains with passes in Cornwall or elsewhere.  There's just not the capacity.

I remember the free day out BR (British Rail(ways)) gave to Senior Citizen's Railcard holders in the 70s.  It was a Sunday, I think and I remember a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news item from a wedged Paddington......

Interestingly I believe off peak rail travel is offered to any Londoners over the age of 60 in the tfl area.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 18:15:44 »

Interesting question being asked on the back of this meeting, and the WCML (West Coast Main Line) chaos. 

Is the resulting pause forced on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) franchise process likely to lead to an opportunity for the base specification in the Tender Document to be changed ?

Thoughts please ?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 23:04:54 »

Is the resulting pause forced on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) franchise process likely to lead to an opportunity for the base specification in the Tender Document to be changed ?

Personally I would doubt it.  That would probably cause more of a delay and that's the last thing the DfT needs!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: