16:50 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
17:15 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
17:20 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 15:15 Plymouth to Penzance
15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 16:29:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[89] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[69] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[57] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[37] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[21] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Main Line franchise shambles - possible impact on Great Western franchise?  (Read 58794 times)
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:46 »

It might get interesting in the (admittedly, unlikely) event that the TOCs (Train Operating Company) win - after all, if they can get a refund when the conditions say they are not entitled to one, there might be a flood of similar claims from passengers who held advance tickets they didn't use...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 19:03:16 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rolling stock fear over West of England rail franchise

Rail services in the West of England will stagnate following the collapse of the West Coast mainline franchise deal, regeneration experts fear.

The West of England Partnership said it had been told in government talks there would be no investment in rolling stock during an interim two-year franchise.

In October, the government scrapped its decision to award the ^5bn franchise to FirstGroup.

The government declined to comment on the partnership's claims.

However, a spokesman for the Department for Transport said it would negotiate an additional two-year current with the current operator in 2014 and it would seek the "best deal for taxpayers while maximising additional benefits for rail passengers".

"The longer-term proposals for the Great Western franchise will be set out in the spring," he added.

The WEP supports economic growth and investment in the region and represents the four unitary authorities for Bristol, Bath and Weston-super-Mare.

It said during talks the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) "indicated there will be no service enhancements or additional rolling stock for the West of England area".

Julia Dean, from the WEP, said they were "disappointed" as rail travel was growing in popularity and there was already over-capacity on some lines.

Rob Dixon, from The Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)), said the decision would result in overcrowding along popular routes such as the Severn Beach line, which now attracts more than one million people a year.

He said: "We are concerned the railway is effectively being run from London whereas we want it run by an integrated transport authority based in our area, because we think people around here know what people want."

A spokesman for FirstGroup confirmed it was in discussions with the DfT about the opportunity to continue the franchise for a further two years beyond October 2013.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 21:31:33 »

Julia Dean, WEP, has presumably been misquoted.   Sad
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2013, 20:53:40 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail franchising: Ministers to restart process

The rail franchising process is to restart, the government will say on Tuesday, six months after the collapse of the West Coast deal stopped it.

Ten of the country's 16 franchises are due for renewal before the general election, expected to be held in 2015, and a timetable will be set out.

Ministers will prioritise the East Coast line deal, BBC transport correspondent Richard Westcott says. It has been in public hands since National Express gave it up in 2009.

It is thought other franchise contracts will be extended to give officials more time to deal with the process.

Rail franchising was put on hold last year after a decision to award the UK (United Kingdom)'s multi-billion-pound West Coast Main Line rail franchise to FirstGroup was scrapped by the government.

The transport secretary found there were "significant technical flaws" in the bidding process because of mistakes by Department for Transport staff and three civil servants were suspended.

Virgin Trains, which was given the right to run the West Coast line for a further two years while the system is sorted out, is understood to be keen to bid for the new East Coast contract.

Its contract to run the West Coast is also expected to be extended by another two years.

Any new franchise deals will put the focus more on passengers' views and satisfaction, our correspondent added.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 21:14:46 »

I hate this 'will say' reporting.  I can only assume the Speaker has given up.  I thought he was going to come down like a ton of bricks on this discourtesy.

On the subject, note the last sentence.

'Any new franchise deals will put the focus more on passengers' views and satisfaction, our correspondent added.'

If you remember I raised this here before.  How does a new entrant bidder establish a track record he does not have?  Does he just promise to pay 'fines' if he gets a bad press he did not deserve?  I would need to ensure that all polls really were that and not voodoo polls if I were making those promises. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2013, 21:35:47 »

I hate this 'will say' reporting.

I merely quoted the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) ...  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 23:18:02 »

Yes I know that  - I was just writing about I hate it.  Sad   Wink  Grin
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:58 »

West coast extended til 2017
Northern and TPE (Trans Pennine Express) 2015
Crosscountry given 6 year extension til 2020

Great western remains unchanged.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:10 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) extended to 2020?!

We are all doomed.
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2013, 09:43:48 »

CrossCountry is getting a 43 month extension, not a six year one.

First Great Western is getting an extension from this October to July 2016 (33 months).

You can read more on the Department for Transport site here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/franchise-announcement
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:16 »

CrossCountry is getting a 43 month extension, not a six year one.

First Great Western is getting an extension from this October to July 2016 (33 months).

You can read more on the Department for Transport site here: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/franchise-announcement

Was meant to say 4 year extension.

Oh so it has. I looked at a diagram earlier which showed it as unchanged. Which I did think was odd. Thanks for clearing that up, best to read an article then a picture ha.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 10:08:21 »

From a FGW (First Great Western) release circulated to the Customer Panel....

Update on FirstGroup rail franchises
Following an announcement by the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) today, I can confirm to you the following with regard to our First Capital Connect, First Great Western and First TransPennine Express rail franchises.

The First Capital Connect franchise will continue beyond its current planned end date of 14 September 2013. As previously indicated the DfT is to exercise the option in the current contract of a 28 week extension. As well as this, we will continue our discussions in respect of an agreement for the franchise to continue for a further period of six months, to an end date of September 2014.

The First Great Western franchise will continue beyond its current end date of 31 March 2013. As previously announced, under the terms of the current franchise agreement the 28 week extension period will be activated. In addition we are in discussions with the DfT in respect of an agreement to continue the franchise for a further 33 months to July 2016.

The First TransPennine Express franchise will continue beyond its current end date of April 2015. We will begin discussions with the DfT regarding a ten month extension to the current franchise to February 2016.

With the DfT also publishing the timetable setting out the return to rail franchising today, the extension of our three franchises provides continuity and consistency for our customers and enables us to continue to deliver considerable improvements to services. We can now look forward, reviewing the details of the upcoming franchise competitions as they are announced while continuing to provide the best service for our customers.
Vernon Barker MD ^ UK (United Kingdom) Rail

So, they're NOT 'getting' anything just yet. Discussing with, in respect of an agreement to get....slightly different.
The DfT has lost a lot of money. FGW get the full length franchise. Which SoS signed that one off then?
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 10:42:31 »

Here is the diagra, I referenced to.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/170565/rail-franchise-schedule.pdf

And..... It shows it as extended ha ha ha. That probably because I read at 8am and half asleep Smiley
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 11:04:13 »

That might be quite significant....
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2013, 14:32:53 »

Interestingly, Phil Haigh at Rail magazine has picked up an anomoly in the various statements put out today.

In this one, the SoS says

For Great Western, our plan is to put to market a competed management contract in 2016

In the graphic referred to by Plymboi, it states 'new franchise'.

Those aren't the same animals, by a long chalk.

In the Prior Information Notice, dates are set out for the GW (Great Western) contract (whichever it is) as follows -

Publish OJEU (Official Journal of the EU» (European Union - about) - the journal all EU contract offers have to appear in. One for the Abbreviations, I guess!) - October 2014
Issue ITT (Invitation to Tender) - March 2015
Contract Award - March 2016
Contract Start - July 2016
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 16:44:49 by ChrisB » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: