08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 12:37:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Main Line franchise shambles - possible impact on Great Western franchise?  (Read 58787 times)
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:26 »

The ^40m has to come from somewhere and that somewhere will either be the shareholders or the passengers.  Now let me guess which it will be... Undecided
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:40 »

Or taxpayers generally....which I suspect it will be through lower income from the extensions.

FGW (First Great Western) & the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are somewhat far apart in negotiations as to what FGW will put into the mix. Mark Hopwood was on Tweet the Manager last night, and suggestions he didn't say 'no' to were Delay/Repay and wifi on all (long-distance) trains....
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 13:13:38 »

It will only come from general taxation if the companies are compensated by the government for their outlay over the aborted franchising.  There may be something going on behind closed doors, but on the surface it looks as if the companies are not being paid.  Hence my point about who makes up the shortfall.

I take your point about hidden payments though.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 21:22:35 »

It will come from taxation ultimately, because in future all bidders will cost that sort of risk into their bids. Once bitten...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2013, 11:53:43 »

Let's face it, all government does is say "Lend us a fiver, and I'll give you that pound I owe you". An economic miracle is when we all use our credit cards at the same time. Whether we give the railway companies our money at the ticket booth or from the wage packet, we still give them our money. At least I get 3% back on mine.

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:31 »

If you are getting 3% on an instant access account FTN, please tell me where, there's a good chap!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:28 »

I believe FTN was saying that he gets 3% back on his credit card spend.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2013, 13:13:18 »

The Guardian newspaper in an article entitled "Nationalised rail is shunted into sidings as coalition tries to make sums add up on east coast line" raises some very relevant points far beyond just the east coast main line.                                                                                                                                                                                                     

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/31/nationalised-rail-shunted-to-sidings-east-coast

Here are quotes from said article as follows.

"Without the burden of an onerous payment schedule, East Coast has been able to concentrate on service while paying back to the taxpayer ^600m in profits and premiums."

Regarding the recent West Coast main line franchise bidding fiasco it says "GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) and National Express left a combined hole of ^2.7bn in government spending plans, but the amount offered by First Group would have done even greater damage."

"McLoughlin is set on re-tendering a prestigious and potentially lucrative line that encourages operators to abuse the greatest failing of the franchise system: private companies take the upside when their predictions come good, while the taxpayer is saddled with the cost when they go bad."

"passengers and taxpayers have to hope that the next incumbent gets its sums right. A successful experiment in nationalisation is being sacrificed to make good a failure of privatisation.".

I would like to add that I am in no way anti privatisation as such having works all my life in the private sector and it does work generally but the private sector has its limitations too,ok for nuts ,bolts,tin of beans etc etc and a thousand other consumer items easily supplied by a competitive private market place,but railways! given they are now essentially a public service being kept afloat by huge taxpayer subsidies they can hardly be described as private rather they are still a basically nationalised industry in all but name overlaid by a very thin top heavy veneer of privatisation,when rather embarrassingly for the government they could be run as the current East Coast public model has shown much more efficiently under Directly Operated Railways. I have therefore logically come to the conclusion that the only train privatisation seems good at running from the taxpayers point of view is the "gravy train" purely for the benefit of the big transport companies boardrooms and shareholders bottom. Interestingly "Private Eye" magazine recently described First Group as and I quote a "rag bag of international transport companies and a whopping debt".Say no more.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2013, 15:20:02 »

If you are getting 3% on an instant access account FTN, please tell me where, there's a good chap!

I think FTN is referring to the Santander 123 Credit Card where you get 3% back on what you spend with TfL» (Transport for London - about) and 'National Rail' Services... Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2013, 15:28:30 »

Spend to save thus?   Cheesy

I've only got a basic account with them, useful though as they do not charge me a cent for receiving my euros pension from NL (as the other big 4, usually ^25, what a nerve, do,  grrr, grrr).   Embarrassed
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2013, 12:24:37 »

Spend to save thus?   Cheesy

I've only got a basic account with them, useful though as they do not charge me a cent for receiving my euros pension from NL (as the other big 4, usually ^25, what a nerve, do,  grrr, grrr).   Embarrassed

Well going way off topic, I guess it's how you use the thing! They charge an annual fee for the CC, so it depends on how much you use the train. If you spend more than ^300 per month, it'll save you approximately ^108 a year, minus the fee and you've still made a saving!

Then provided you settle the balance in full every month, they don't charge any interest (Excluding any other fees such as balance transfers/cash advances etc!). So I guess it's a win win all round.

Personally, I don't like Santander, so I won't touch them with a barge pole! Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:00 »

I should explain I don't 'really' bank with Santander.  I just use the account as a receiving one, as I explained, out of which I immediately do an online transfer to our 'real' bank account.  The latter bank gives us two free credit cards each.  Thanks for the information though.  At present, I travel by rail once in a Preston Guild (wish it more more   Sad  ) so I suppose it depends how often and much you spend, as that has to be set off against the charge for the credit card.  How much is that btw?  I might get one if, even I, can make on it.

As an aside I find it difficult to understand how one can 'dislike' an inanimate object like Santander! Caramba!  Grin  Huh
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2013, 18:34:53 »

I believe FTN was saying that he gets 3% back on his credit card spend.

And so he was. This is not an advertising forum, so I will not say where, but you will it on TV a lot. Or you could ask Jessica Ennis when you see her next.

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 18:48:21 »

I don't need to, the Trout already told us (see above).   Wink Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2013, 18:50:18 »

I don't need to, the Trout already told us (see above).   Wink Grin

Just looked up and seen it.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: