18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:10 Gloucester to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 20:12:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 179642 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2020, 13:20:07 »

A fairly undramatic one from Suffolk a couple of days ago.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/van-stuck-under-railway-bridge-in-pound-hill-bacton-1-6827699

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2020, 13:21:54 »

Also in Suffolk but back in July, some van acrobatics.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/bramford-road-ipswich-car-transporter-hits-bridge-1-6732897

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2020, 14:10:13 »

Doesn't the railway still use "Chains" to measure distance along the track?

Fortunately a chain is 20 m, unless you're being really picky.

Or Twenty Two Yards  just like a Cricket Wicket,if you still use English 😁
Cricket and other sporting comparisons are useful, I was told years ago that to visualise an acre you should either use a wicket by a furlong, or alternatively an acre would be about 10 cricket squares...

Paul
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2020, 14:55:45 »

I was told that if you want to visualise a hectare, try to think of something 100m x 100m...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2020, 15:41:36 »

I was told that if you want to visualise a hectare, try to think of something 100m x 100m...

Back in 1976 I was working with a metric skeptic who objected to my using hectares. So we pointed to the plan of the site on the wall and asked him to estimate the area in acres and we would do so in hectares. He asked how we did it so quickly and we simply pointed ou that the plan had 100m grid squares drawn all over it and that each one corresponded to a hectare.  He was a convert after that.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2020, 22:24:20 »

By definition, therefore, a hectare is square, although any shape could constitute a hectare. I can relate that to around the length of a football pitch, squared.  An acre, by definition, is long and narrow, so harder to visualise. The M32 from where the traffic from Eastville roundabout meets the inbound carriageway to behind the White Swan?

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2020, 22:49:38 »

Indeed. I'm sure 200x50 would work, or 400x25 if you wanted something more obviously oblong. I think even a round hectare is allowed; a radius of around 56.42m ought to do it. Which goes to show that even the metric system can throw up an untidy number if you push hard enough.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 12, 2020, 23:38:03 »

An Hectare. kilometer of railway ten metres wide?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #338 on: September 13, 2020, 08:38:06 »

It is no wonder I'm totally confused; hence clinging on to what I know 'Imperial units'   Wink Wink

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 13, 2020, 16:11:52 »

By definition, therefore, a hectare is square, although any shape could constitute a hectare. I can relate that to around the length of a football pitch, squared.  An acre, by definition, is long and narrow, so harder to visualise. The M32 from where the traffic from Eastville roundabout meets the inbound carriageway to behind the White Swan?

I don?t think a Hectare necessarily needs to be square though.  It?s derivation used to puzzle me, and it turned out ?Hect? is the prefix meaning hundred of, and ?Are? was intended to be the derived unit for a supposedly useful area of 100 sq metres.  Has anyone seen ?Are? in use?

Some sources I looked at reckoned ?Are? quickly fell out of use as it was either too small, say for land measurement, or unnecessary for day to day interior measurement, people just used square metres for areas up to a few hundred...

Paul
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 19:13:12 by paul7755 » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 13, 2020, 17:14:02 »

The acre would have been easy to visualise at the time and place of its origins; a certain number (presumably 22) of standard length furrows in the open field system. Absolutely in tune with its application. Less relevant now as a result of enclosures, mechanised agriculture, few of us being farmers, etc.

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2020, 08:05:01 »

Has anyone seen ?Are? in use?

Some sources I looked at reckoned ?Are? quickly fell out of use as it was either too small, say for land measurement, or unnecessary for day to day interior measurement, people just used square metres for areas up to a few hundred...

Paul

In my mining days, contract miners were paid per centiare - though I swear we spelt and pronounced it 'centare'. One hundredth of an are or one square metre.

Prior to metrication the unit used was the square fathom, which was not 6 feet x 6 feet, but 3 feet x 3 feet - or square yard. I could never fathom out how they got fathom out of that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:15:48 by Oxonhutch » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 15, 2020, 10:29:14 »

First Bus are considering installing devices in their double deckers to give audible warning in advance of low bridges.
"We know where all the low bridges are located in the West of England and our operating instructions for staff fully encompass the routes that avoid the need to go near such bridges with double-deck vehicles.
"We are also working with technology suppliers to come up with an audible automatic warning device in cabs to warn drivers of approaching low bridges.?
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/first-bus-looking-install-audible-4514655

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2020, 11:02:42 »

First Bus are considering installing devices in their double deckers to give audible warning in advance of low bridges.
"We know where all the low bridges are located in the West of England and our operating instructions for staff fully encompass the routes that avoid the need to go near such bridges with double-deck vehicles.
"We are also working with technology suppliers to come up with an audible automatic warning device in cabs to warn drivers of approaching low bridges.?
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/first-bus-looking-install-audible-4514655

It had occurred to me that most buses by now are equipped to know where they are, as well as which bridges are too low and where they are. So are we talking about a bleeper for the GPS? And don't the relevant ones already have one? Or does it need a bit more - linking the GPS to the odometer and steering to allow dead reckoning through coverage gaps? Or is it really a Doppler radar looking ahead for those approaching low bridges, and no doubt telling you how fast they are moving too?
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2020, 11:30:16 »

There have been odd occasions when on a route to see "Road closed ahead" sign and not being advised to depots.
That will take you off route of course.
Drivers are told that in those circumstances to contact control before going off route.
The answer has always been "Don't know anything about that mate, news to me".  End of call!
As control were not aware, they will also not be aware of the diversion route.

Back to the driver to decide  Huh

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: