Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:51:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39
  Print  
Author Topic: Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoing discussion  (Read 179720 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 25, 2021, 17:54:46 »

Has someone sent CfN a trigger warning? Maybe the traditional version would be best: "this may be unsuitable for Waitrose drivers of a nervous disposition". 
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 25, 2021, 18:17:14 »

I apologise for my speculation in my earlier post, and hope that the unfortunate van driver is Ok.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 25, 2021, 19:41:48 »

Surrey police have released dash cam footage of the Epsom bridge incident. I hope the Waitrose driver is ok.

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1397133056331370499

I don't know if you can embed tweets on this forum
Van driver exonerated.
Lorry driver seems 100% to blame.
Can/will random dash cam recording be used as evidence?

Paul

Lorry driver 100% to blame for the accident, however in my opinion it was inconsiderate for the van driver to wait in traffic in a position that may obstruct oncoming traffic.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #423 on: May 26, 2021, 21:09:54 »

Has someone sent CfN a trigger warning? Maybe the traditional version would be best: "this may be unsuitable for Waitrose drivers of a nervous disposition". 

No, you don't need to send me any trigger warning: I sense such things, through The Force.  Grin

However, you do place me in something of a difficult situation: as our frequent readers will know by now, I am a Waitrose grocery delivery van driver - and a lead driver assessor.  I will not comment further (if indeed at all) until I have seen the full footage of that incident.

Chris from Nailsea.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2021, 10:34:16 »

Is this the new way to get under low bridges? https://twitter.com/MPSRTPC/status/1408333080734015493
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2021, 13:19:05 »

Is this the new way to get under low bridges? https://twitter.com/MPSRTPC/status/1408333080734015493

If I've understood this correctly, the lorry fell across the pavement and a cycle path close to a school entrance not long after the kids had gone in... The possible consequences don't bear thinking about.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2021, 09:35:40 »

The consequences for drivers of buses can be extreme, although nothing like as extreme as those suffered by passengers. The Independent reports:

Bus driver jailed for crashing double decker carrying 74 children into bridge
Charlene Rodrigues  10 hrs ago

A bus driver has been jailed after injuring 41 children by crashing a double-decker into a railway bridge.

© PA (Public Address) One schoolgirl described the bus as “powering through the tunnel”.

Three students were left permanently scarred after Martin Walker, 37, took a wrong turn before slamming the vehicle into the bridge last September.

Winchester Crown Court heard how the bus had been carrying 74 pupils aged between 11 and 16 to Henry Beaufort School in Winchester, Hampshire.

Nicholas Cotter, prosecuting, told the court that Stagecoach employee Walker had been taking the route for the first time when he drove the 13ft 11in high bus under the 12ft bridge in Wellhouse Lane at a speed of 10mph.

(Continues at source)

Edit: Fixed markup - Red Squirrel
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 20:22:10 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2021, 03:06:38 »

Unless there existed some extreme extenuating circumstance of which I am not aware, then I agree with the verdict of the court.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 18, 2021, 15:50:23 »

A collision with Taplow railway bridge last night cost the lives of the three young men in the car. RIP.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 18, 2021, 16:20:08 »

GetReading report
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2021, 13:24:55 »

Lowden, near Chippenham today, 27th August 2021. Someone has lost their hire deposit. Don't think it'll buff out.

https://wiltshiretoday.co.uk/chippenham-railway-bridge-lorry-severely-damaged/

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2021, 16:31:11 »

A small U-Drive hire lorry carrying wedding supplies, including a dance floor, smashed into the bridge in an attempt to squeeze through.

I suspect it may affect a wedding reception somewhere  also.
chopper1944

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2021, 17:18:54 »

Is it not time for these old style arch bridges to be replaced on an ongoing basis throughout the country with their modern precast counterparts?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 27, 2021, 18:23:47 »

Is it not time for these old style arch bridges to be replaced on an ongoing basis throughout the country with their modern precast counterparts?

Nah. It's time there were stiffer penalties for such incidents. Knowing the height of your vehicle isn't difficult.

And in many cases, replacing an arch with a span won't increase the headroom without raising the trackbed or lowering the road. Neither are cost effective.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2021, 18:39:26 »

Why? - the cost would be huge for what benefit?  The bridge is perfectly serviceable and it is on a narrow minor residential road, which a vehicle of this type should not be using.  If we were to follow your argument the whole mile of Lowden and Audley road should be upgraded to a full 7.3 metre width which would involve demolishing most of the houses!  When it is paralleled by Bath Road and Marshfield Road only a few hundred metres to the east and by Bath Road and Hungerdown Lane a similar distance to the west.  Both routes have old arch bridges, but without the height restriction.  

Totally unnecessary.  

Also amount of CO2 emitted to produce the concrete would also be huge.  
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39
  Print  

Jump to: