13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 08:36:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass disruption due to flooding - December 2012  (Read 161667 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2012, 15:59:52 »

Suprised that no one else has posted this.
Most services to/from the West cancelled, including tonights sleeper.
West country services from Waterloo as bad.

(source BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news, but widely reported)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 17:51:21 »

Not only Tiverton and no trains between Exeter St Davids & Taunton, but subject to any updates, Chipping Sodbury Tunnel closed (as usual).  Bristol TM(resolve) to Weston-super-Mare closed  and earlier closures between Bristol Parkway & Gloucester, the Severn Tunnel and between Llanelli & Carmarthen.   SWT (South West Trains) route closed between Exeter andd Gillingham.   Landslides all over the place.     Suggest you look at National Rail Travel for updates.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 18:29:43 »

Very confused passengers at reading tonight. Loads of xc services cancelled any anyone trying to get home to the south west is in for a long way. On one of the Bristol bound trains the despatch crew were having a real trouble getting passengers on - it was the busiest west bound train I have seen in reading for a long time.

But worse than that (a) people are talking in the quiet coach on the 1736 and (b) they have removed the urinals from the gents on reading station concourse loos. No that really is taking the p&&s
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 18:31:44 »

No services to the South West from Paddington this evening - not sure if anything got through - but the 14:06 and 15:06 were cancelled outright and those after it only starting from Exeter St Davids (including the 18:03 and 19:03).  This morning's 07:30 was cancelled at Bristol Temple Meads and an additional train ran in its path from Exeter St Davids to Penzance.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 18:55:20 »

Looks like tomorrow will be at least as bad if the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) weather forecast is to be believed.  They got it right last night. 
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 18:58:37 »

As far as I know, apart from the first couple of commuter trains from Plymouth/Exeter up to London (that all got diverted via Bristol), nothing got past Westbury or Bristol to the South/West, due to Flax Bourton and Athelney being closed.  Never seen the SW so cut off.  ALL services to/from London <-->Westcountry are cancelled, including the sleepers.  A shuttle is running EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-PNZ.  Only the xx:00 Bristol TM(resolve) services are running each way, with services to London being diverted via Westbury, not calling at Chippenham, Swindon or Didcot and all the xx:30 services cancelled.  All the Cardiffs cancelled in both directions.  Swanseas are being diverted via Gloucester.  

Tomorrow will probably be interesting with sets completely out of place.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 19:07:54 »

The line was also closed between Great Malvern and Hereford for most of the day - now reopened.  And also, flooding at Harbury Tunnel between Banbury and Leamington briefly closed the line around lunchtime.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 20:01:01 »

An exceedingly challenging day for staff on the ex-LSWR (London South Western Railway) West of England line (from Waterloo to Exeter via Salisbury and Yeovil) as well:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11586.msg120733#msg120733
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 20:58:45 »

A picture of the line through East Lyng earlier today:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 21:39:35 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 21:06:09 »

Had that freight train stopped just short, or was it about to plough through?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 21:08:29 »

Very difficult day all round, with my journey home from Swindon to Nailsea taking nearly 4 hours. Though full credit to all the onboard crew of the morning and both evening services for the very good humoured and informative way in which they kept people up to date, thanked them for their patience, and generally acted in a very professional manner.    
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 21:11:20 »

Didn't know where East Lyng was and came across this interesting quote on Wikipedia

Transport
The ridge across the Somerset Levels has always been important for transport links. Today it carries the A361 road from Taunton to Street, and the Great Western Railway London Paddington to Penzance main line. The railway originally cut through the ridge just west of East Lyng, and traversed Hitchings Moor, but after years of being blocked by winter floods, the railway was diverted south of the ridge to join the line from Bristol at Cogload Junction.

I'm supposed to be going to Taunton on Saturday night... the weather forecast is "interesting"....  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 21:18:56 »

Had that freight train stopped just short, or was it about to plough through?

I've no idea. I picked up the photo via a Facebook friend. Here's another, this time Williton station on the West Somerset Railway. Fortunately not an operating day for the WSR:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 21:38:39 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 21:30:03 »

Her Majesty the Queen is coming to Bristol tomorrow, by way of the Royal Train. Or possibly the Royal Bustitution (the practice of replacing trains with buses) service?

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 21:33:55 »

And another picture via BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Somerset 95.5FM on Facebook, this time of Templecombe Station:

My home town of Taunton has had it pretty bad today. Large parts of the low lying land along the River Tone through the town have flooded, many surrounding villages have been cut off and even major roads have become impassable or only passable with suitable vehicles. This however is not an untypical event and my fellow Tauntonians are fairly used to these floods. On more than one occasion in the past I've been canoeing in French Weir Park where one would normall kick a ball about or walk the dog.

In Goodlands Gardens near the town centre you need a bridge to get to this bridge:

Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: