Delayed
04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 03:43:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass disruption due to flooding - December 2012  (Read 161769 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2012, 20:17:43 »

Hey, folks ... there are times when we have to travel on a particular day / to be somewhere at a particular time.   We don't know the particulars of why Miss McBrains had to travel today, and we shouldn't approach the limit of what's acceptable in terms of getting personal on the forum when we don't know, nor should we pry by asking.  The journey to Cheltenham may be for Christmas with family ... or it could be for a hospital admission tomorrow. And I hope the critics would be comfortable with their criticism if that were the case!

I'm sorry Graham, but clearly the poster is referring to Christmas.

In my view, FGW (First Great Western)'s advice not to travel is hardly practical, given the date.

I know people are going to travel contrary to FGW's advice given the time of year, and I have no issue with those who are travelling (and by the sounds of it the Miss McBrains is making her journey - and I hope she makes it to Cheltenham safely), however whatever the reason for travelling, I do not think it is right to be criticising FGW's efforts to get people from A to B, when they have clearly said.. "Do Not Travel".

I'm sorry if my natural defensiveness for my industry offends anyone, we really are trying to get people to their destinations, but by saying "DNT" it is clear that if you decide to travel, it may not be pretty.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2012, 20:48:32 »

Worrying notice that North Devon and Looe branch lines may be closed until 29 December, which suggests damage must be very severe.  No bus replacements to Barnstaple possible either. 

I've read on Twitter that all the main roads out of Barnstaple are currently closed.

The photo below is the River Taw near Bishops Tawton. The railway line is somewhere under there...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
macbrains

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2012, 21:28:28 »

Thanks to all posters for their replies to my comments - all points of view equally valid, no doubt, to the individual posters themselves.

rgds
Rob
John R

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2012, 22:11:33 »

Hey, folks ... there are times when we have to travel on a particular day / to be somewhere at a particular time.   We don't know the particulars of why Miss McBrains had to travel today, and we shouldn't approach the limit of what's acceptable in terms of getting personal on the forum when we don't know, nor should we pry by asking.  [/i]

I don't believe I did pry. I simply challenged whether it really was the only day, or (which seemed much more likely given the context of the threads on which MacBrains had discussed the subject of Miss MacBrains no 2's journey), the day chosen to be the most convenient for Miss MacBrains to travel home to her family for Christmas.

The point here is that people often believe a journey on a particular day is essential. But, in the words often of the police who urge motorists "not to drive unless your journey is really essential" (which as an aside should remind us that it is not only public transport that has to suffer the vagaries of the weather) sometimes we have to recognise the difference between desirable or convenient, and essential.  That was my challenge, and I'm slightly surprised the moderators consider it to be "approaching the limit of what's acceptable" on the forum.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2012, 22:28:59 »

Thanks to all posters for their replies to my comments - all points of view equally valid, no doubt, to the individual posters themselves.

rgds
Rob

I sympathise. To have a family member who would normally celebrate Christmas within the family stuck elsewhere is not nice. We all make the effort at this time of year, if never at any other time, and that is right. I understand, however, that these are exceptional circumstances on the railways (or at least I hope they are!), and that the employees of the various TOCs (Train Operating Company) are doing their level best against Cnutian odds to get everybody home. There will undoubtedly be some who wish they hadn't made it home this Christmas, only to find it flooded, and it hasn't stopped raining yet. To macbrains, I say that I hope your daughter makes it home to celebrate the season with her loving family. To Super Guard, I say thank you for your tireless efforts, and I hope you can get her home.

To StuartStIves, I say that when I passed near there earlier, it looked nothing like as bad as that picture. Ye gods!

To all, I say be sensible, be sensitive to others' feelings, and have the best Christmas you can. It probably can't rain until September.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2012, 22:38:56 »

Interesting call for me as "duty moderator".   I wasn't suggesting that anyone had pryed at all - just pointing out that was somewhere we shouldn't go.

Having made plans, there is a natural desire to stick to them rather than change a whole stack of other plans built on th etimings given, perhaps allowing an hour or two for delays.  And that may - as you suggest, John R, have emotional elements.  Or it may not.  

I abandoned the train during the chaos into and out of Paddington last week; in one direction, it really didn't matter whether I was on time or not, but in the other direction being an hour late would have resulted in me breaking my contract, and with course delegates from all over the world so *my* push back would have resulted in up to a dozen other pushbacks.  It was an unusually tight particular week. You may say "catch an earlier train" - err - the earlier train is 10 hours earlier, and I also need my sleep to fulfill my contract.  Each person / situation differs.

However and whether the young lady travelled, I hope all have a good Christmas.   Thank you to those in the industry who have to be out to help those who require to travel even in extreme weather (or in extreme equipment failure times).  Believe you me, even many of us with grumpy faces on that train that takes 80 minutes to Reading have a great sympathy.

Edit to correct typo
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:04:30 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2012, 23:23:27 »

Greate Poste, Grahame! As in many years past, gangs of PW (Permanent Way) workers will be foregoing the turkey over the festive season, to do the planned works that make our railway a success. Except that this year, they may find themselves doing God's Wonderful Railway just to keep some sort of service ticking over.

God bless us all, each and every one!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 14:23:08 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2012, 01:30:25 »

Good luck with your journey, Bob ... and keep us posted with the situation on the ground.  Saturday is usually the quietest day on the forum, but I expect we'll be busier that usual today - much of it being guests searching for updates.

Well I made it to South Devon but sadly not by train.  On checking live departures both my planned trains were heavily delayed and, of course, would not have got me past Taunton.

Managed to get a lift and despite some heavy rain just before the Somerset border there was little traffic on the road. One thing I did notice was a large number of Taunton taxis and minibuses heading towards Exeter and again a few more once we got on the A38 after Exeter. Whether they were displaced rail passengers I don't know.

Would certainly have preferred to go by train and do some work on the way down but it wasn't to be and I've got the work to do now!

Plan to go into Exeter later today so might get a better idea how things are in daylight. At least the rain has stopped for now.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:41 »

Cowley Bridge published on twitter.......
https://twitter.com/MikeYearworth/status/282805566185799681/photo/1/large
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2012, 12:35:32 »

One more photo from Twitter of Cowley Bridge this morning:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-yZ74PCYAADelw.jpg
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2012, 13:21:08 »

Both of those are excellent - they explain very clearly why there aren't any trains.

Why isn't there anything similar on the National Rail website?
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2012, 13:48:32 »

A colleague's pic of Cowley Bridge
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2012, 15:02:42 »

I didn't fully follow the reasons behind the closure of Plymouth airport, but that could have seen a lot of extra passengers over the last few months due to all the floods in recent days and months.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2012, 15:13:56 »

Exeter-Tiverton/Barnstaple closed until at least the 28th December.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2012, 16:39:16 »

I wonder why FGW (First Great Western) are not running via Yeovil and Castle Cary?  This route is sometimes used for autumn diversions etc. and I have been that way several times in the past.  I did notice one Up train went that way late yesterday (Saturday 22nd December).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24
  Print  

Jump to: