Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 04:55:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass disruption due to flooding - December 2012  (Read 161714 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2013, 18:29:26 »

Something Crosscountry did lag behind FGW (First Great Western) is was online information via the social media. Or if they did, I couldn't find it. Twitter and Facebook may look to many as just a chattering forum for people with nothing to do, but FGW make excellent use of both, as well as journey check. Not that it gets you through a flooded line, but at least you know.

Now, please!
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2013, 19:40:19 »

Just for clarification I was referring to the second period around Christmas when the SWT (South West Trains) route remained open throughout, which would have been far busier than the one in November. I wasn't suggesting that FGW (First Great Western) passengers should all have been directed onto that route or that more trains should have been run, but was commenting that it was interesting how the local media seemed to present it as the south west being completely blocked off when it would be more accurate to state the main route was closed but the other route was still open. It reminded me of how if you read the national press during periods of snow and ice when third rail lines are struggling, you'd believe the entire network was affected even when the rest of it's still functioning fine.

As it was, plenty of people did find out about this and I believe SWT services were often extremely full so diverting all London passengers would probably have been a tad tricky to say the least.

I travelled from Bristol-Exeter during the first closure and Bristol-Axminster during the second (rapidly changed from via Exeter to via Salisbury to via Yeovil stations). The only experience I had which I suspect would have prejudiced the view of irregular passengers about the railways was getting from Exeter to Tiverton Parkway by bus on the first trip just in time for the HST (High Speed Train) in the platform to pull out as everyone was getting off the bus. Needless to say the station staff got some abuse from a few people for that one regardless of the fact it wasn't their decision. Fortunately the next train pulled in a few minutes later and even though it wasn't going anywhere for 40 minutes, it was more comfortable than anywhere else in the vicinity.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 15, 2013, 14:41:28 »

We could go way off topic here by opening a debate over whether Cornwall is a County or a Duchy - so I won't.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Also Lancashire and the CI.

The loyal toast: "The Queen our Duke"

OTC
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 15, 2013, 16:25:28 »

The loyal toast: "The Queen our Duke"

OTC

As a former member of the Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry, now a squadron of the Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry, I recall that toast!

24358238 Trooper Four Track, Now! (Retd)

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2013, 23:58:15 »

From the Express & Echo (Exeter) 19th March 2013:

Cowley Bridge flooding 'can not be stopped' but 'services can be recovered much quicker' says Network Rail boss

Network Rail bosses have said they can not stop the Cowley Bridge line flooding but can work on the recovery time of services once floods have subsided.

A transport conference was held at the County Hall today to discuss the measures, which include making changes to culverts and drainage systems, and raising signalling equipment off the ground so that it's not affected by flood water.

Track owner Network Rail said it planned to improve line resilience to allow flooding to be cleared and services resume as quickly as possible.

Mike Gallop, from Network Rail, said: "The flooding was a very serious event which caused a significant disruption to the travelling public. What we are looking at how is how we can improve network resilience between Taunton and Cowley Bridge. That's not prevention - we do not believe we can stop it flooding. Our proposition is that, once floods have subsided, we can start to recover services much quicker and more effectively than we did at Christmas. We're looking at improving tracks, improving embankments, and improving their draining. We're also looking at making the signalling system more robust by raising it, so it doesn't get damaged by water."

Campaign group Rail Future had suggested culverts at the bridge being increased to stop flooding of the line.

Network Rail said it was working with the Environment Agency and the government on the situation and a report would give its findings at the end of March.

Disruptions caused by extreme weather to the region's road and rail network are said to have cost Westcountry businesses ^167 million.

A full report on improvement proposals is due at the end of March.

There will be a public exhibition in Exeter's Guildhall shopping centre this week of plans to reduce the city's flood risk. Organised by the Environment Agency, Exeter City Council and Devon County Council, the exhibition will be held on Friday, March 22, from 10am to 6pm, and Saturday, March 23, from 10am to noon.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2013, 17:59:34 »

Acknowledgement that this wasn't a freak incident - maybe. But it is certainly a welcome step forward.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2013, 22:25:17 »

Interesting article by Graeme Demianyk from the Western Morning News Thursday, March 28, 2013

First Great Western's Charles Howeson calls for end to flood hit railway line at Cowley Bridge

The chairman of rail firm First Great Western's advisory board has made a dramatic call for the Government to fix the region's fragile mainline that has failed repeatedly because of flooding.

Charles Howeson, a prominent Westcountry businessman, says short-term measures would be "inappropriate" and the Department for Transport should instead commit to large-scale improvements.

Heavy rain battered the region last year, with the London-to-Penzance Great Western line at Cowley Bridge, near Exeter, failing three times ^ leaving the region marooned by rail.

The resilience of the rail network, which has come under pressure following more rain in recent weeks, is now seen as even more important following the loss of Plymouth's air link, and the region having just one fully dualled road into the far South West despite long-standing calls for improvements.

In an open letter to ministers, Mr Howeson, chairman of First Great Western's stakeholder advisory board, argues weather that has "cut off the far South West from the national railway network" is having "a seriously detrimental economic impact in addition to the inconvenience caused to leisure travellers".
He added the closures "reinforce the perception of the region's remoteness from key business markets".

Mr Howeson writes: "In the context of unstable climate, severe weather events are evidently becoming more frequent, and it is clear that measures need to be taken to ensure the long-term resilience of the far South West's rail network. We are keen to ensure that such measures will be effective, while recognising the need to pursue solutions that are proportionate and affordable."

But he argues Network Rail, the state quango which runs the track, must look beyond improvements to Cowley Bridge.
Mr Howeson writes: "Cowley Bridge junction is only one of a series of vulnerable points in the same river catchment along the railway from Taunton to Exeter."

He adds: "There is no point in spending very large amounts of money at Cowley Bridge junction alone if flooding capable of causing severe service disruption is still likely to occur further up the line."
He calls for a "more strategic review of options", arguing "short-term fixes, or very long term solutions that address just one element of the problem, are both inappropriate".

"What must not be ignored here is the need to secure and future-proof the resilience of the railway network across and for the region, measures which will become ever more important if severe weather events continue to take place as frequently as they have been of late," Mr Howeson concludes.

Nick Buckland, businessman and former deputy chairman of the now abolished South West Regional Development Agency, also serves on the board.
"The problem is, there is a perception that the whole of the South West is cut off," he said, arguing that it discourages holidaymakers and businesses investing in the area. "That is not entirely true but that is the impression that it gives." He added: "The responsibility is split between Network Rail and the Environment Agency ^ and there is a bit of a demarcation dispute as to what you can do.
"What we would like is Government to cut through the nonsense."

Earlier this year, Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, conceded it is "unacceptable" the Westcountry's mainline was cut off from the rest of the country as a result of flooding, and has held crisis meetings between Network Rail and the region's MPs (Member of Parliament).

Network Rail has been ordered by the Department for Transport to review 40 vulnerable sites on the route.

Letter from the chairman...
To: The Rt Hon Owen Paterson MP, Secretary of State for the Environment
The Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State for Transport
The Rt Hon Vince Cable MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation & Skills
Richard Benyon MP, Minister, for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Simon Burns MP, Minister, Department for Transport
Mark Prisk MP, Minister, Business, Innovation & Skills.

I must emphasise that this letter is NOT written by or on behalf of the train operating company, which in the normal course it is our task to hold to account. We have instead had board level discussions with Network Rail directly about the recent severe weather-related disruptions to rail services in the South West because of our serious concerns about their affect on the wider economy of the far South West. This has covered the flooding and other events across the Western Region that followed exceptionally heavy rain in November and December 2012. Of particular significance for rail services to the far South West were floods east of Exeter and a landslip between Teignmouth and Dawlish.

THE CHALLENGE

Disruptive weather events are of great concern because they cut off the far South West from the national railway network and have been shown to have a seriously detrimental economic impact in addition to the inconvenience caused to leisure travellers. They also serve to reinforce the perception of the region^s remoteness from key business markets just as LEPs» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about) and local government are pursuing the reverse.

In the context of unstable climate, severe weather events are evidently becoming more frequent, and it is clear that measures need to be taken to ensure the long term resilience of the far South West^s rail network. We are keen to ensure that such measures will be effective, while recognising the need to pursue solutions that are proportionate and affordable.

With media and public focus on Cowley Bridge Junction it is understandable that most attention has been paid to measures aimed at preventing flooding at this location. This junction is not only significant in relation to flooding of the railway, it is also central to the Environment Agency^s plans to protect the city of Exeter from inundation. However, Cowley Bridge Junction is only one of a series of vulnerable points in the same river catchment along the railway from Taunton to Exeter. The others are Whiteball Tunnel, Hele and Bradninch and Stafford^s Bridge and when Cowley Bridge Junction floods, at least one of these other sites is likely to flood to the point that trains would be unable to pass.

In this context we believe that the current region-wide pressure to find a medium-term solution only at Cowley Bridge Junction should instead be focused on examining options actually capable of addressing the issue in the long term. There is no point in spending very large amounts of money at Cowley Bridge Junction alone if flooding capable of causing severe service disruption is still likely to occur further up the line...
Discussions about solutions and funding need to be more genuinely multi-agency and take into account the numerous and potentially conflicting obligations and perspectives of the parties involved. For example, the Environment Agency is concerned with protecting against the flooding of people^s houses while Network Rail^s role is to keep trains running. Today the two objectives are simply not complementing each other in terms of proposed solutions.

Both organisations thus have an interest in improving the situation at Cowley Bridge Junction but their proposed actions are very different. The Environment Agency^s unilateral announcement about its plans for the protection of Exeter from further flooding without reaching an agreement with NR» (Network Rail - home page) is clearly less than helpful in this regard.

CONCLUSION

It is very clear to us that a more strategic review of options is now required and all involved stakeholders will need to think more creatively about effective area based actions reflecting the strategic regional interests. Short term fixes, or very long term solutions that address just one element of the problem are both inappropriate. What must not be ignored here is the need to secure and futureproof the resilience of the railway network across and for the region, measures which will become ever more important if severe weather events continue to take place as frequently as they have been of late.

ACTIONS REQUIRED

We thus now urge much more effective stakeholder partnership working with immediate effect. We see no alternative to this taking place at all levels, involving local representation and action, as well as that by Network Rail and the Environment Agency.

The existing progress made since Christmas is not satisfactory in our view. Instead we now request a joint (Defra/DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) Ministerial examination of the situation above the level of Network Rail and the Environment Agency (who are clearly NOT able to reach agreement, even at national level) with the remit being to:

• Identify a clear sustainable long-term area-based solution,
  • Identify responsibility for funding it and leading it, and then
  • Establish the timescale for its delivery, all within an urgent timescale.

Yours sincerely
Charles Howeson
Chairman
The FGW (First Great Western) Trains Advisory Board
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2013, 23:23:35 »

I noticed the other day, when it was pointed out to me, that Network Rail have made quite a bit of progress in building new platforms to house location cabinets and the like at a higher level between Cowley Bridge and the approach to Exeter St Davids.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2013, 23:27:32 »

'Twas I that did the pointing out.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2013, 23:34:44 »

It was...but then I know which order the stations are on the Berks & Hants!  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2013, 23:47:41 »

So do I when I haven't partaken of the fine wines available on the up Pullman!  Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:06 »

I thought that Mssrs Howeson and Buckland missed an opportunity to point out that the GWR (Great Western Railway) main line was cut off and worse still so was the LSWR (London South Western Railway) and at the same time.    I know they wrote with FGW (First Great Western) advisory hats on but a strategic issue was thereby not sufficiently pushed (IMO (in my opinion)).
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 31, 2013, 16:34:50 »

I think you are right, swrural. Having two entire counties severed from the network for as long as they were is not good.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #328 on: March 31, 2013, 17:04:33 »

I noticed the other day, when it was pointed out to me...

'Twas I that did the pointing out.  Tongue Wink Grin

It was...but then I know which order the stations are on the Berks & Hants!  Grin

So do I when I haven't partaken of the fine wines available on the up Pullman!  Tongue

Boys, boys ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2013, 19:32:58 »

I think you are right, swrural. Having two entire counties severed from the network for as long as they were is not good.

The South West was not entirely cut off by rail for two weeks as the SR(resolve) route was open most of the period under discussion. Albeit with a couple of flood damage speed restrictions imposed. There were (and still are) also traincrews available with appropriate route and traction knowledge. The SR route has also been fitted with an impressive array of HST (High Speed Train) stop boards at all the stations to Yeovil to go with the Ikea signals now controlled from Basingstoke.

SWT (South West Trains) and Network Rail are in what's laughingly called a 'Deep Alliance' which despite Devon County Council spent lots of my money paying Network Rail to install a dynamic loop at Axminster (making two trains per hour a workable proposition) FGW (First Great Western) services are seeningly not permitted to run up the SR while the SWT hourly service is operating.

So somebody needs to tackle that nonsense first. It seems Network Rail have waved their little white flag and accepted that the GW (Great Western) route will close during periods of rain / flooding. Hence their putting all the signalling location cabinets up on little metal frames at Cowley Bridge Jn....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 19:38:50 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Trundling gently round the SW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24
  Print  

Jump to: