Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[104] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[26] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[13] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Bumper bignosemac Prize Picture Quiz. December 2012 *CLOSED*  (Read 18471 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2012, 14:48:51 »

This quiz is now closed. Thanks to all who took part. The answers have been added to the pictures as well as listed later in the thread. Details of the winning entry and runners-up can also be found below. The topic has been unlocked so comment and feedback can be made.

Similar in format to the previous prize quiz in August/September. Instead of requesting one answer each for the first 24 hours, I'm asking for your full list of answers by Personal Message (PM). The persons getting the most right by 11:59pm on Monday 31st December will win prizes - National Book Tokens. There is a 1st prize of ^20 and two runners up prizes of ^10. In the event of any ties, random draws will be conducted by a forum administrator to decide the winner and runners up. This thread will be locked so that no answers can be posted directly to it. Full rules, terms and conditions and entry criteria can be found below.

There's some easy ones in the selection and some not so easy ones. All photos are from the UK (United Kingdom), on or near stations on either the national network, metro/tram systems or heritage rail locations. My thanks go to fellow moderator Brucey and Administrator grahame for providing some of the images. When answering please provide the full name of the station. Take your time, there's 10 days to get your entry in. If you're not sure of an answer than have a guess, you might be lucky!

Due to the image sizes the pictures are best viewed on a monitor, laptop or tablet. Smartphone users may have difficulty viewing them.

An alternative is to view the quiz images on the photo hosting I've used, where the complete set is available. You can also download them from there in a .zip file format:

www.photobucket.com/christmasquiz2012

Please read the rules before entering.

Good luck!

bignosemac

Rules:

Entry: One entry per person. Multiple entries will be excluded. All entries to be submitted to bignosemac by Personal Message (PM). Please title your Personal Message (PM) "Christmas Prize Quiz 2012", then list your answers 1-25. Personal Messages (PM) can be sent by clicking on the speech bubble icon below bignosemac's profile picture or by using the forum's 'My Messages' button.

Closing Date: The last date for entries will be 11:59pm Monday 31st December 2012. Entries after that time will not be accepted.

Eligibilty: The quiz is open to all registered members of the Great Western Passenger's Forum (aka Coffee Shop). The forum's Administrators and Moderators are not eligible to enter.

Answers: All images are of UK National Rail, heritage rail or metro/tram locations. Station locations must be named in full (i.e. Bristol would not be an acceptable answer when the image is of Bristol Parkway). Lineside locations can be answered with either details of the specific location or the full name of the nearest UK National Rail, heritage rail or metro/tram station/stop.

Winning Entry and Runners Up: The winning entry and runners up will be the ones having the most correct answers. A list of correct answers has been provided to the forum's Administrator/Moderator team. In the event of any ties, the tied entries will each be assigned a number by bignosemac, and an Administrator will pick one of those numbers at random. The Administrator will not be informed of the forum name or avatar of the tied entries. More than one random draw may be required to decide the winner and runners up. Following completion of the quiz the list of correct answers and the forum names of the winner and runners up will be posted on the prize quiz thread.

Prizes: The prizes will be a ^20 National Book Token for the winning entry and two ^10 National Book Tokens for the runners up. The winner and runners up will be required to provide address details to bignosemac and the prizes will be forwarded by Recorded Signed For^ Royal Mail delivery. Prizes will be sent out on or after 2nd January 2013. Please allow up to 28 days for delivery. Address details supplied will not be published or stored and there is no requirement to provide your real name.

General: Outside of entry to the quiz and awarding of the prize, no correspondence will be entered into. The decisions of the Moderators and Administrators of this forum will be final. These General Terms and the Specific Rules shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and any dispute arising out of or in connection with them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.

(as amended, 4pm 15th December 2012)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:13:43 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 15:58:28 »

Picture 1 ST ERTH

Picture 2 QUEEN'S PRK

Picture 3 PAIGNTON

Picture 4 WOLVERHAMPTON

Picture 5 SALISBURY

Picture 6 GLOUCESTER

Picture 7 PERSHORE

Picture 8 WROXHAM (BURE VALLEY RAILWAY)

Picture 9  BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS

Picture 10 DAWLISH

Picture 11 LONDON PADDINGTON

Picture 12 CARDIFF QUEEN STREET

Picture 13 WESTON-SUPER-MARE

Picture 14 SHANKLIN

Picture 15 YEOVIL JUNCTION

Picture 16 EXETER CENTRAL

Picture 17 GREENFORD

Picture 18 NORWICH

Picture 19 BLACKPOOL NORTH

Picture 20 FROME

Picture 21 DORCHESTER WEST

Picture 22 BROCKENHURST

Picture 23 GREENWICH (DLR (Docklands Light Railway))

Picture 24 ST IVES

Picture 25 BATH SPA
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 16:40:32 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 17:30:28 »

Good work, Bignosemac - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11647.0

There's some that I think are quite easy, but there's a number that aren't  Cheesy - it will be very interesting to see how our members do!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 20:50:58 »

*BUMP*

Just a couple of entries thus far. I hope the rest of you are merely pondering over your answers before entering!  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 15:19:31 »

Another *BUMP*

Three more days to get your entry in. Go on, have a go. What have you got to lose?  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 21:52:17 »

Good luck to everyone entering.  There are certainly some tough ones there that I'm finding very challenging.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:29:01 »

Just 40 hours to go.   There are indeed some quite hards ones there, and I would encourage everyone to enter - you might be surprised on just how many you could simply take a guess at and still win a prize  Grin .   To give you an idea, I only recognised about a third of them (and you may have noted that I provided some of the images!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:59 »

Bumper Prize Quiz ...

Just 40 16 hours to go.   ... and I would encourage everyone to enter - you might be surprised ...

Into the last day ...

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 11:59:41 »

I like to think I am well travelled, yet I can only name a very small number of these.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone to enter.  Even if you can only name a few of them, guess the rest.  It's worth a try and you've got nothing to lose!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 16:24:38 »

MODERATOR NOTE FROM BIGNOSEMAC. I've made the decision to extend the deadline for entries to this quiz until 11:59pm on Monday 31st December 2012. This decision has come about because of very few entries until now (4pm 15th December 2012). I'd like to apologise to those who have already entered and who were looking forward to hearing how they scored. If you've already entered prior to 4pm 15th December 2012 then I will allow you to re-submit your entry if you wish, adding to, or changing any answers you've already given. Personal messages will be sent to those who've already entered, inviting them to re-submit their entries.

This is only the second time such a quiz has been run on the Coffee Shop forum and the previous one ran for a shorter time but had numerous entries. I can only assume that the timing was less ideal this time round, with forum members busy preparing for Christmas and not having time to devote to this quiz. So, with the extension to the deadline I hope I've provided the opportunity for more forum members to participate. Take a punt after wrapping the presents or while digesting your turkey dinner! Don't be afraid to have a go, entries will remain anonymous (save for announcing the winner and runners up) unless you expressly request for your entry and score to be published when this thread is unlocked following the new deadline. Because of the change of deadline for entries, prizes will now be sent out on or soon after 2nd January 2013. So, sadly no longer a Christmas present for the winner and runners-up, but at least now you'll have the opportunity to spend your winning Book Tokens in the January sales!

The rules have been amended to reflect the change in entry deadline.

Again, apologies to all for this late change. Good luck and Seasons Greetings!

bignosemac.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:07:13 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:13:46 »

I'd just like to offer my own encouragement here for you all to enter this quiz.

Those among you who have long memories will know that I am absolutely hopeless when asked to identify stations - even where I was standing next to the person taking the picture at the time! Embarrassed

On that basis, it's perhaps best that I am not eligible to enter - but you are, and it's worth a try!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 15:46:37 »

Do you recognise these places?    Have you waited for a train in any of them? ...

Just a few days to go on this bumper prize quiz ... even if you're not a member of the forum yet, you've still got time to sign up (it's free, and just a formallity) and have a go. 

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:32 »

Three more days to get your answers in. Take a look. Have a go.  Cheesy

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 14:17:12 »

A quick reminder that there is still plenty of time now to submit your entry for this prize quiz - but the clock is ticking ...  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:42:13 »

As well as our regular, registered users, this forum is read by a lot of guests. And in doing so it provides a great deal of information to railway customers (and potential railway customers too) - all very much an intended part of the service. The admin / moderator team encourages guests to sign up, to contribute their own questions and inputs .... but there's no obligation on people to sign up, and we've got a long-term strategy to have as many of our boards as we can being public readable (in other words, visible without signup).   Where we do have to insist on a signup is if you want to contribute - and that's purely to ensure that we have an audit trail back to you if we need to raise an issue on something you've published on our world-readable boards.   The signup is free, and it's as painless as we can make it.

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed many guests taking a look at BigNoseMac's bumper prize quiz, asking people to recognise 25 locations which are from the UK (United Kingdom), on or near stations on either the national network, metro/tram systems or heritage rail locations.  The prize quiz is still open for entries today and tomorrow, and if you're one of these guests and you recognise some of the places, you've still got time to sign up as a member and submit your entry.

Registration form - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?action=register

Prize quiz - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11647

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: