Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 05:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:31:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delays near Hayes and Harlington 21/01/2013  (Read 15560 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 21:38:50 »

I think there are two separate issues here.  One is the fault that causes the closure or reduced capacity of one or more running lines in the first place, the other is how FGW (First Great Western) responds to this and runs the best possible service it can - and keeps the passengers informed.  How well FGW responds comes down to its resources in Control and elsewhere.

As disucssed elsewhere, FGW has cut back on train crew supervisors and other key posts and probably doesn't have the necessary resources to deal with major disruptions as well as say, Thames Trains did a few years ago.  What they manage to run, and what information they get out to their own staff and the passengers, will probably be less than what they could have delivered if they had sufficient resources.  So FGW need to be careful about putting all the blame for passengers' disrupted journeys on to NR» (Network Rail - home page).   

The failure, looked to me as I went past on the 16:22 Padd - Oxford on the points from the DR to DN Heathrow there were a number of NR tech working on that point machine.  It was getting dark so I can understand closing the relief lines to give the staff a safe place to work and allow any testing.

I can understand a number of trains will get trapped in the affected area, but I stood on Slough station for a stopper to Maidenhead for close on an hour with out any trains in the DN direction, no attempt to turn any of the UP trains at slough to clear the backlog absolute pooh customer service from the FGW station team they seemed to be eat McDonald's and relying on the CIS (Customer Information System) auto announcements.

When a 3 car 166 did arrive it was packed not every one got on, people were left at Burnham and someone could not get off at Taplow as they we sitting in the middle of the coach.

It may well be appalling infrastructure performance on the part of NR, FGW certainly at Slough did not do them selves any favours; I will say the drive of the train was excellent with the on board announcements apologising for the over crowding and asking folks to move right inside 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 22:37:09 »

One of the railway magazines suggested that Network Rail need to send someone with real weight and credibility within their ranks to specifically oversee the Great Western route.  Given the current disruption, and the massive programme of improvements over the next 7 years, that seems like a very good idea to me!

Dave WardWink

I think you will find Patrick Halgate is the RMD for GW (Great Western)  (RMD Route Managing Director)

I know he is: I was merely suggesting an alternative name for someone to fill the hypothetical new post "as specified by one of the railway magazines".  Wink

By the way, I've met both Dave Ward and Patrick Halgate, and I rate them both highly: in their previous and current roles, they have produced and are producing great results for the network.  But I would suggest that neither of them could be expected to be out taking one of eightf48544' club hammers to a signal at Acton in an effort to resolve the problem personally ...  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 23:26:28 »

That will be so "the train" gets to it's final destination on time.. As for the passengers, they are less important... Hhm maybe that is why wine was invented? ;-)

It's not quite that straightforward. True, stops are often removed when "service recovery" is underway after a significant delay incident in an attempt to reduce the delays to given trains. If you reduce the delay in getting a train to its final destination, this then reduces the knock-on effect on that train's next working, so helping to reduce delays throughout the remainder of the service. Running a train fast can therefore be an important tool in getting things back to time. In general control will try not to do this unless there is a reasonable alternative service that affected passengers can use.

It's a common accusation that stops are cut in order to get a train to its destination within its punctuality target and therefore keep PPM(resolve) looking good. However, skipping stops is deemed to be a part-cancellation of a service and the operator will be penalized for this, so in many cases skipping stops will not gain the TOC (Train Operating Company) anything in terms of performance statistics.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 00:16:08 »

In my own experience, railway management has a culture which is biased towards the morning peak. Managers are urged to start early and manage the peak before getting on with their day jobs. Its understandable - most technical problems occur early morning, I suspect.

But it does mean that there are fewer managers around in the evening peak. So when things go wrong, its left to the staff on the ground, which might well have been the issue at Slough. Larger stations do have Duty Managers of course, so should perform better.

its an interesting question: which is more important, the morning or evening peak? I tended to the idea that passengers would be more upset about delays in getting home, rather than delays in getting to work!

But, as I said, it is a culture thing.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 17:27:58 »

its an interesting question: which is more important, the morning or evening peak? I tended to the idea that passengers would be more upset about delays in getting home, rather than delays in getting to work!

No-one wants to be delayed going home, but if you are getting to work late, chances are a.) employer not happy and b.) you may end up having to stay late and then get home later than planned anyway...

I did hear someone complain during the disruption the 23rd, that this "never happens on works time, always my time.."

Also, keeping the morning peak running someway to time, even during disruption is clearly going to keep things running smoother for the rest of the day, then letting the morning go to ruin and then write the whole day off.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 00:54:45 »

Well the circumstances were different. But a couple of years back there was a "Jumper" which saw me stuck on a HST (High Speed Train) coming into Reading in the morning peak (07:04 off Westbury). The ironic thing about it was I was flying abroad to attend a Family Member's Funeral. The bulk of my family already out there, I was flying Solo... Sad Undecided Embarrassed

Fortunately I left far earlier than I needed to for my flight from Birmingham International, essentially a contingency plan and assumed I would be stuck in the airport of ages. I made a good call and got lucky. They pulled my train into what was Platform 4 at Reading (The Down Main AIUI (as I understand it) - so the wrong way basically) and the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Service was stuck behind the HST I was on.

I arrived at the airport although nearly 2 hours behind schedule... I was still within plenty of time to check in, book in for my boarding assistance and then get to the ServisAir Lounge for a cuppa.

Had I not have put in that contingency... I would've almost certainly missed the flight!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: