Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:36:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[104] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[26] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[13] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Major delays/cancellations, Paddington to Reading, 20 December 2012 and ongoing ...  (Read 66612 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2012, 10:18:23 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are saying it's due to an electrical fault, nothing to do with Crossrail - guess it's maybe the same problem as last week?

Whatever, it's appalling......I was due in London today and am in Reading tomorrow - if there's no trains I will get a cab and send FGW (First Great Western) the bill.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:27 »

I presume that full weekday/rush hour fares are payable for this worse than a Sunday service.
Off peak fares valid on all trains until Jan 2nd as I understand it. Ceartainly all my early morning journeys are available on off peak tickets.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2012, 11:35:34 »

if there's no trains I will get a cab and send FGW (First Great Western) the bill.

Whilst it may make you feel better to do so, it is highly unlikely that FGW will refund you. Compensation for delays to your journey or a refund of your ticket if you decide not to travel by train is the limit to their liability.

There may be alternative transport arranged, and in some cases this may be a taxi, but will most likely be travel via an alternate route where possible, replacement road transport or ticket acceptance on local buses.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2012, 11:39:47 »

The Ticket Restrictions on all FGW (First Great Western) services "are lifted from 22 December 2012 to 1 January 2013 inclusive" - See FGW's Christmas and New Year booklet.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2012, 11:42:01 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Trains between Reading and London Paddington suspended

Passengers at Paddington complained about confusion over alternative travel arrangements

Train passengers have been advised not to travel unless their journeys are essential due to problems between Reading and London Paddington.

Overrunning engineering work has caused all services along the route to be suspended until at least 11:00 GMT, First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) said.

A limited road replacement service is running using 15 buses.

FGW customers can use their tickets on South West Trains services between Reading and London Waterloo.

Network Rail said the line had to be closed after an electrical fault between Hayes and West Drayton was discovered during the engineering works.

Services have also been suspended on Heathrow Connect between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport.

The delays have also hit passengers from Hampshire, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire as they get to Reading.

Passengers at Paddington told BBC News of their frustration at the problems. One man said there was confusion between FGW and station managers about alternative travel arrangements. While others said the number of replacement buses was insufficient.

Network Rail has apologised for the disruption and said it was working to reopen all lines as soon as possible.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2012, 11:49:42 »

Off Peak Fares at ALL Times until 1st Jan (normal fares from 2nd), which means that Weekend First is available and therefore a trolley service will be provided (subject to staff) on a weekday.

Just a reminder that the disruption being experienced this morning is Network Rails Responsibility (well actually subcontractors).

The live departure boards are what they say "Live", they are correct until a decision is made to amend a service. So looking at Taunton at around 0900 (or the post was as 1000 approx), trains would have been shown as going to London as the Line was always estimated to reopen this morning at 1100.

I think the FGW (First Great Western) team have worked extremely hard over the past few weeks with disruption happening permantly... Not to say that this acceptable but just from my sources, I would like you all to know that, there are only 3 people in the control room that provide all the info to both internal and external sources (websites, news, stations etc...). They also have to order and cooridnate replacement bus services, taxis and an array of other jobs. Yes they will be supported by managament, but when there are so many incidents it is very very hard to actually keep on top of so many service alterations.

They work very hard to get the info out, unfortunately there are still a number of railway staff across the UK (United Kingdom) that choose to ignore or dont understand how to deal with disruption, when it comes to informing the Customer/Passenger, whether it be a simple PA (Public Address) or just passing the info to someone else like the ticket office.

The actual cause of the over-run today was due to an electrical issue when engineers tried to test the system in the early hours, due to lack of diagrams (electrical ones) they were unable to complete testing, they also had some earthing faults. This basically meant that the signalling could not be restored in the Hayes area.

Info I have recieved from a Source. There were actually other issues as well which delayed the handing back of the overall project.

a) 8178b points run through have been initially looked at and have bent drivers and stretchers and the switch is also crippled.
It is possible that the damage appears worse than it is due to the bent drivers and stretchers. This was caused by an engineering train being allowed to move by someone when the points were not set.

b) Main line work expected to be handed back in Item 18 on time though the Relief Lines may overrun until 0800 due to difficulties getting power to the Locations due Transformer issues. This was the major issue which actuall kept ALL lines shut

c) Whilst removing a road railer vehicle from the Up Main at Hayes, the railhead has become damaged. Welders en route to attempt to grind out damage.  Just something else for them to sort.

Personally looks like the whole area was a bit of a shambles..... Oh well it is open now.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2012, 11:53:09 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Trains between Reading and London Paddington suspended

Passengers at Paddington complained about confusion over alternative travel arrangements

Train passengers have been advised not to travel unless their journeys are essential due to problems between Reading and London Paddington.

Overrunning engineering work has caused all services along the route to be suspended until at least 11:00 GMT, First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) said.

A limited road replacement service is running using 15 buses.

FGW customers can use their tickets on South West Trains services between Reading and London Waterloo.

Network Rail said the line had to be closed after an electrical fault between Hayes and West Drayton was discovered during the engineering works.

Services have also been suspended on Heathrow Connect between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport.

The delays have also hit passengers from Hampshire, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire as they get to Reading.

Passengers at Paddington told BBC News of their frustration at the problems. One man said there was confusion between FGW and station managers about alternative travel arrangements. While others said the number of replacement buses was insufficient.

Network Rail has apologised for the disruption and said it was working to reopen all lines as soon as possible.

15 Buses on the day after the Xmas break, that isnt bad as they were all on hand from around 0830 approx. Do people actually think there is a place where hundreds of buses just sit waiting in case the railway need them....Huh?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2012, 12:06:48 »

The actual cause of the over-run today was due to an electrical issue when engineers tried to test the system in the early hours, due to lack of diagrams (electrical ones) they were unable to complete testing, they also had some earthing faults. This basically meant that the signalling could not be restored in the Hayes area.

No diagrams.  This is 1990's work have they been lost or were they never completed? Is this some underlying fault that was part of the previous problems or was the whole original installation a botch job?

I think the FGW (First Great Western) team have worked extremely hard over the past few weeks with disruption happening permantly... Not to say that this acceptable but just from my sources, I would like you all to know that, there are only 3 people in the control room that provide all the info to both internal and external sources (websites, news, stations etc...). They also have to order and cooridnate replacement bus services, taxis and an array of other jobs. Yes they will be supported by managament, but when there are so many incidents it is very very hard to actually keep on top of so many service alterations.

They work very hard to get the info out, unfortunately there are still a number of railway staff across the UK (United Kingdom) that choose to ignore or dont understand how to deal with disruption, when it comes to informing the Customer/Passenger, whether it be a simple PA (Public Address) or just passing the info to someone else like the ticket office.

Hats off to them they have not had an easy time. However its that customer service culture that keeps coming up.  Some staff do get it but others are stuck in a different age.

Info I have recieved from a Source. There were actually other issues as well which delayed the handing back of the overall project.

a) 8178b points run through have been initially looked at and have bent drivers and stretchers and the switch is also crippled.
It is possible that the damage appears worse than it is due to the bent drivers and stretchers. This was caused by an engineering train being allowed to move by someone when the points were not set.

b) Main line work expected to be handed back in Item 18 on time though the Relief Lines may overrun until 0800 due to difficulties getting power to the Locations due Transformer issues. This was the major issue which actuall kept ALL lines shut

c) Whilst removing a road railer vehicle from the Up Main at Hayes, the railhead has become damaged. Welders en route to attempt to grind out damage.  Just something else for them to sort.

Personally looks like the whole area was a bit of a shambles..... Oh well it is open now.

I assume there will be some sort of a full and frank exchange of views on these issues.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:12 »

I think the sad part of this will be that all the senior people will sit around a table in the New Year and someone will get shouted at, there will probably be a press release saying sorry and that it wont happen again..... However 99% of people reading this just know that aint true.

These kind of incidents will always happen, I suppose it is just how the incident is handled from the customer/passengers point of view??
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2012, 12:38:12 »

A key feature of this morning's problems is that someone somewhere based all the announcements around a problem at Maidenhead.  Why might this have been?  Misunderstanding when someone said the problem route was 'London to Reading via Maidenhead' perhaps?

Another own goal seems to be to do with the way they try and keep people up to date using twitter - again, someone decided that an appropriate hashtag for this problem would be '#maidenhead'.  Oddly enough that was already in use for all sorts of other random subjects.  I suppose anyone who uses twitter regularly will already be aware of this limitation though...

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2012, 13:11:33 »

There is now severe overcrowding at Reading as at 1249, 27/12. So much so that the station is exit only until further notice.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2012, 15:55:42 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Trains between Reading and London Paddington resume

Disrupted train services between Reading and London Paddington have resumed.

All services along the route were suspended throughout Thursday morning after an electrical fault caused engineering work to overrun, First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) said. Two out of four lines reopened earlier with a full service set to resume by 16:30 GMT. Pre-booked tickets will be accepted on FGW services until the end of the week.

Network Rail closed the line after an electrical fault between Hayes and West Drayton was discovered on Boxing Day during engineering works. Services on the Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport were also cancelled but resumed earlier. The delays also affected passengers from Hampshire, Wiltshire and Oxfordshire as they headed to Reading.

Passengers had to wait in the rain for replacement bus services outside London Paddington station

Dan Panes from FGW said: "We have managed to get trains moving again as soon as Network Rail opened up the line again. Services will be busy, but the road replacement buses will continue to run as well in the short term. We have lifted all ticket restrictions until the end of the week meaning customers can get on any train even if they have pre-booked in advance."

Passengers at Paddington told BBC News of their frustration. One man said there was confusion between FGW and station managers about alternative travel arrangements. Others said the number of replacement buses was insufficient.

BBC Radio Berkshire's Gavin Fischer at Reading station said services seemed to be preparing to return to normal after earlier disruption.

Network Rail has apologised for the disruption.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2012, 16:12:05 »

15 Buses on the day after the Xmas break, that isnt bad as they were all on hand from around 0830 approx. Do people actually think there is a place where hundreds of buses just sit waiting in case the railway need them....Huh?

Insider - of course people don't think that....what they think, and have every right to expect, is a greater than 50/50 chance of being able to get to work in the morning, via the train for which we pay thousands of ^ per year....sadly over the last month this hasn't been the case.

We have the most expensive, and least robust and reliable system in Europe, its a disgrace.

As later posts have revealed, this latest farce was down to sheer incompetence/sloppy workmanship on several levels....will anyone be held accountable? I doubt it.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 16:20:33 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 18:10:00 »

......... this latest farce was down to sheer incompetence/sloppy workmanship on several levels....will anyone be held accountable? I doubt it.

Where is you factual evidence?

If appropriate Individuals and contractors will be held accountable (this does happen it is not published to the public)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2012, 18:46:45 »

To be fair to the staff (if that is not in itself a sort of oxymoron), they will indeed be held accountable for their actions, or apparent lack of them: I've seen it. Lips sealed

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: