Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:25:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transport for London warns of Boxing Day Tube strike disruption  (Read 6064 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 24, 2012, 20:31:01 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Tube services could face severe disruption but there will be more buses on Boxing Day as hundreds of drivers go on strike, Transport for London said.

Members of Aslef union will walk out for 24 hours in a row over bank holiday pay, a dispute over a 1992 agreement.

TfL» (Transport for London - about) said there would be extra buses for shoppers heading for the West End or Westfield shopping centres.

It will be the third successive walkout by Tube drivers on the first day of the post-Christmas sale.

Aslef said its members had voted by 9-1 in favour of strikes in a long-running row over extra pay for working on bank holidays.

TfL said almost all the lines were expected to have a reduced and partial service and urged passengers to check before travelling. There will be no services on London Overground.

But 700 bus routes in the capital will operate a Sunday service, and extra buses will be on the routes bound for the West End or Westfield shopping centres in Stratford and White City.

The congestion charge for vehicles entering central London will not apply during the festive period and there will also be no parking charges on roads in Westminster.

Howard Collins, London Underground's chief operating officer, criticised the union for demanding to be paid "twice for the same work".

"The scandalous actions of the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) leadership are an attempt to hold Londoners to ransom, and demonstrate a wholesale disregard for our customers," he said. "We will be running as many services as possible, supported by London's 700 bus routes, but there will be disruption."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 18:52:16 »

The 18th and 25th January tube strikes will probably cause considerably more chaos, with people attempting to get to work and therefore cramming into already busy buses.

I'm yet to work out the best alternative routes for those days, especially on the 25th when I need to get to South Kensington by a specific time.  Will probably end up leaving very early in the morning and walking there from Waterloo.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 18:56:58 »

Will probably end up leaving very early in the morning and walking there from Waterloo.

Or change at Clapham Junction and walk from Victoria?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 18:59:13 »

Will probably end up leaving very early in the morning and walking there from Waterloo.

My train from Havant doesn't stop at Clapham Junction.  The other alternative would be to take a Southern service all the way to Victoria.

My plan for getting to White City on the 18th is to take a service from Waterloo back out to Clapham Junction, then the Overground from there to Shepherd's Bush.  The rest of the journey is walkable.

I've actually been quite surprised by the service that was available today, all things considered.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 19:25:16 »

My train from Havant doesn't stop at Clapham Junction.  The other alternative would be to take a Southern service all the way to Victoria.

My plan for getting to White City on the 18th is to take a service from Waterloo back out to Clapham Junction, then the Overground from there to Shepherd's Bush.  The rest of the journey is walkable.

I've actually been quite surprised by the service that was available today, all things considered.

For South Ken the 211 (I think.. 11 if not) goes all the way from Waterloo to the Kings Road via Victoria.. Then it's probably a ten minutes walk.. If not you could change buses at Victoria for one that goes closer to South Ken.. I guess it depends how close to South Ken you need to be?

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 19:30:27 »

For South Ken the 211 (I think.. 11 if not) goes all the way from Waterloo to the Kings Road via Victoria.. Then it's probably a ten minutes walk.. If not you could change buses at Victoria for one that goes closer to South Ken.. I guess it depends how close to South Ken you need to be?
Hmm, that looks like a better option than walking.  My destination is Imperial College Library, so walking from Royal Brompton Hospital wouldn't be too far.

I can't be the only one who finds London Bus system to be horrendously complex when it comes to deciding which bus to use when you are unfamiliar with destinations/routes.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 19:39:01 »

Hmm, that looks like a better option than walking.  My destination is Imperial College Library, so walking from Royal Brompton Hospital wouldn't be too far.

I can't be the only one who finds London Bus system to be horrendously complex when it comes to deciding which bus to use when you are unfamiliar with destinations/routes.

I work between South Kensington and Sloane Square stations so know the buses around there a bit (as they are quicker for me in general than the tube).. I will take a look at where your destination is exactly as I definitely went past Imperial college a week or so ago... just not quite sure where I was going to or from...
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 21:20:56 »

The LU Unions are writing their own death warrants, ATO (Automatic Train Operation) (Automatic Train Operation) is already doing most of the work for the Motormen on the Underground (they never used to be called drivers if fact they were quite adamant at one time that they were Motormen)

The Unions argument that the public will always want someone at the front of the train as it makes them feel safer that I fear is now wearing thin what the public want is a reliable and cheap metro system.

I can foresee a big bust up with the Unions when LU take them on over full ATO on a line or indeed the whole system, it will be painful for ever one when it happens with potentially the system shut down while the dispute is dealt with, the LU management made a statement last week regarding protection of conditions if the was no strike I feel that was the first warning shot

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:50 »

Tube strikes cost London ^1bn, Conservatives claim

Strikes on the London Underground have cost the capital more than ^1bn in six years, according to a report.

The study by the Greater London Assembly Conservatives also calls for Tube strikes to be banned and replaced by a compulsory mediation process. It says there were 30 days of Tube strikes during 2005-11 costing London about ^48m each.

The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)) Union has described the GLA Tories as "clowns".

The report, called Struck Out: Reforming London Underground's strike laws, says industrial action is going ahead with only small minorities of the workforce voting in favour. It claims Tube strikes went ahead with an average of just 39% of balloted staff voting for a walkout.

It comes as London Overground guards are to stage a 48-hour strike this weekend in a dispute over job cuts.

Richard Tracey, GLA Conservative spokesman for transport, said: "It is absurd that tens of thousands of passengers could face delays and disruption on the London Overground this bank holiday weekend because 43% of train guards - a mere 53 workers - have opted for strike action."

The party is also calling for strikes to be banned and be replaced with a "binding pendulum arbitration" - in which an independent judge or panel would choose between the competing positions of the relevant trade union and Transport for London. And a minimum of 50% + 1 of all eligible trade union members would have to vote in favour this sort of mediation to take place, the party said.

The report also polled 284 Londoners and found 59% think it is too easy to strike and 48% favoured some form of ban on strikes on the Underground.

Mr Tracey added: "For too long, London's Tube unions have been holding the travelling public hostage, demanding ever greater pay deals and calling strikes at the drop of a hat. We need to urgently readdress this imbalance."

Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT, said: "RMT members on the London Overground voted nine to one for strike action on a turnout of 50%. Any politician with a mandate like that would be dancing in the streets. The fact is that the mayor and all the Tory members of the GLA would have to stand down if they applied the same brand of democracy to themselves that these clowns are trying to impose on the unions. This policy on one form of democracy for the political class and another for the working class has the whiff of the military junta about it."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 15:29:16 »

Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), said: "RMT members on the London Overground voted nine to one for strike action on a turnout of 50%. Any politician with a mandate like that would be dancing in the streets."

I'm not the biggest fan of what Bob says at times, but this made me chuckle  Grin

While I don't know why all these strikes happened (apart from Boxing Day ones), if TfL» (Transport for London - about) acted in the correct manner all the time and offered reasonable solutions/outcomes, then I doubt most of the strikes would have happened.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: