Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 22:19:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[145] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[92] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's end the year by cancelling the entire evening peak service  (Read 6312 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 31, 2012, 16:15:10 »

17:39 Cheltenham Spa to Salisbury due 20:13 This train will be terminated at Swindon.
This train will no longer call at Chippenham, Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh, Warminster and Salisbury.
This is due to a member of train crew being unavailable. Message Received :31/12/2012 15:13

18:02 Westbury to Cheltenham Spa due 20:03 This train will be started from Swindon.
This train will no longer call at Westbury, Trowbridge, Melksham and Chippenham.
This is due to a member of train crew being unavailable. Message Received :31/12/2012 15:13

Next train, next year ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 17:41:45 »

"Taxi!" ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 17:53:28 »

Good to see commitment to good service recognised.  The worst fears of many people about the local services under First have not come to fruition thanks to people like Julian Crow.

Suppose it's a bit late to ask Mr Crow to give back his MBE?   Undecided
Kim

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 18:30:54 »

Thursday's experience suggests that this is now a monthly occurrence. The highlight of the week, in between a 36 minute delay on Wednesday and a delay of an hour and 23 minutes on Friday.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 18:42:27 »

Hi, Kim ... and welcome to the forum.   I'm in Hoek van Holland at the moment ... heading home to Melksham, but I'll probably be SO early at Chippenham that I'll get the bus onwards.

It does seem that reliability has slipped ... personally a few minutes delay doesn't worry me, but a cancellation does.  But then 36 minutes isn't a few, is it? ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Kim

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 17:55:32 »

Hi Grahame, thanks  Smiley

It has definitely slipped. After three weeks+ including those incidents mentioned above and delays of 10-20 minutes a night, they were doing better this week. Unfortunately they were back up to their old tricks this morning. Thankfully I got the 6:38, 8 mins late but no problem. 7:20 turned out to be so late that the Bristol connection would have been very tight indeed and there's a half an hour wait for the next (which doesn't reach Temple Meads much before 9:00.)

Full update on passengers should be heading your way this weekend.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:07 »

Full update on passengers should be heading your way this weekend.

That's fantastic, thanks.  It's really useful having a regular / commuter feedback; accuracy of real usage figures - both through passengers and people getting on / off at the intermediate station at Melksham - says so much and that includes bad news as well as good sometimes and helps every party to discussions on the future.  By the way, there's a history of distortion in ticket sale numbers, and no-one would expect "accurate" to mean "100% accurate" - that's very hard indeed to achieve as we found out on the summer 2011 trial service to Weymouth.

It has definitely slipped. After three weeks+ including those incidents mentioned above and delays of 10-20 minutes a night, they were doing better this week. Unfortunately they were back up to their old tricks this morning. Thankfully I got the 6:38, 8 mins late but no problem. 7:20 turned out to be so late that the Bristol connection would have been very tight indeed and there's a half an hour wait for the next (which doesn't reach Temple Meads much before 9:00.)

Yeah ... I thought it had.  I caught the 07:20 on Monday, left on time, waited at Thingley, late at Chippenham and late into Swindon. Provided that's only a few minutes and connections are not missed, I'm not too unhappy about that.  The trains are slotted in between HSTs (High Speed Train) at Thingley, and more HSTs at RWB (Royal Wootton Bassett), with others crossing their path on the flat, and if they are delayed there are lots more people involved, and lots more knock-ons - so the  TransWilts delay is understood.  In fact, a public timetabled arrival 5 minutes later than the working timetable into Swindon makes sense, and I think it may already be there on the evening train.

Interestingly, the delays aren't purely on the TransWilts in my current experience ... my ongoing train on Monday was on time from Swindon and around 10 minutes late into Paddington.   And on my return on Thursday morning, my train left Paddington on time at 10:00 and (again meeting current expectations) was about 3 or 4 minutes late at Chippenham.   Had the two-hourly TransWilts service been up an running by now, I would have connected there with no problem ...

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 12:17:03 »

Graham, what sort of service did you have at Melksham 80 years ago?  If you have a net source then kindly just point me to it.  I would think that would be a good campaigning document ("see how far we've come in 80 years?").
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:52 »

I'm not sure how helpful that would be, given that lots of places have lost their service in the last 80 years. Also, Melksham is slightly unusual in that the passenger service was withdrawn and then reinstated in the mid eighties. Much better to focus on what has been lost in the last 7 years, and also the potential for the future.

I discovered recently another colleague at work (Swindon) who commutes from Warminster via Bath, who would be delighted if there was a sensible direct return service. I wonder how many others drive but would switch to rail if the service was better.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 14:00:03 »

Graham, what sort of service did you have at Melksham 80 years ago?  If you have a net source then kindly just point me to it.  I would think that would be a good campaigning document ("see how far we've come in 80 years?").

I'm not sure how helpful that would be, given that lots of places have lost their service in the last 80 years. Also, Melksham is slightly unusual in that the passenger service was withdrawn and then reinstated in the mid eighties. Much better to focus on what has been lost in the last 7 years, and also the potential for the future.

I discovered recently another colleague at work (Swindon) who commutes from Warminster via Bath, who would be delighted if there was a sensible direct return service. I wonder how many others drive but would switch to rail if the service was better.

In 1910, there were 16 trains a day from Melksham to Swindon
In 1922, there were 11
In 1967, there were 0 (*)
In 1983, there were 0
In 1993, there was 1
In 2003, there were 5
Now in 2013, there are 2.

We often use Bradford-on-Avon as a comparison to Melksham, although it's only about half the size ...

In 1910, there were 18 trains a day from Bradford-on-Avon to Bath
In 1922, there were 17
In 1967, there were 11
In 1983, there were 13
In 1993, there were 21
In 2003, there were 26
Now in 2013, there are 43

(Monday to Friday, all week, all year trains counted) 
* - Actually there was one, but the station was closed and so it didn't stop.   Angry  Otherwise, the figures given above do not count trains that pass non-stop.

A little more at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=11481.0 ...

But - John R is right.   Looking back more than (say) ten years isn't the way to judge what's needed for the future.  Chippenham, Trowbridge, Warminster, Melksham and Westbury Leigh (Dilton Marsh railhead) have all grown dramatically; Bradford-on-Avon has grown but not quite as rapidly in proportion.  And there's been a tendency for services and workplaces to concentrate.  On Swindon, and on Chippenham and Trowbridge, with areas like Westbury Leigh and to some extent Melksham becoming more commuter towns, and towns from which people have to travel for hospital, for cinema, and of course for work.  With the recession, people are taking jobs where they can get them but are sometimes unable to move, and with the green agenda on top of that, families are becoming 1 car where it would have been 2, and 0 cars where it would have been one.   So your metrics have changed.

Best look at studies and surveys.   Here, from Chambers of Commerce public survey, February 2011:

Would you use an hourly, reliable train service [on the TransWilts] to commute?

On the negative side, some of those people will say "yes" but probably won;t use it .... and on the positive side the survey was only completed by 1600 people; granted they are the most likely to use it (as they responded) but they only represent a small proportion of the probable (if everything is gotten right!) traffic.

The spread of home stations was as follows:

and in answer to "would you use it for leisure too ..."

Again, it's instructive to multiply the number of people answering by the number of trips they might make, remembering that leisure users will be less likely to travel alone, and that all user are likely to make RETURN trips!

In terms of businesses, 160 businesses representing 11,000 employees were also surveyed.  Here are their locations:

Would services help those businesses?

Much more data - at http://atrebatia.info/report.html

[edit] - found some more old data!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 14:54:53 by grahame » Logged

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:08 »

Very interesting data. Agreed it's unlikely that all 664 people will switch from drivng but you only need 20% to give you another 100 regular passengers.

Was the survey anonomous?

If not it would be interesting to know what type of business they were and why they said they disagree or strongly disagree that a regular Trans Wilts service would provide greater accessibilty to their business. Presumably they are the outskirts of town.

Although only a very small number it would help you counter the use of the type of argument, e.g. it doesn't benefit all businesses,  against the whole project.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 13:49:39 »

Thanks Graham, a mine of information on the timetables.  I still think the comparisons are useful when indulging in rhetorical campaigning. ('Look, Grandad had a better service than we have now and what is someone with no car......' ).

The trouble with surveys is that they are not polls.  Still it gave some sort of fillip to the case, I am sure.

All power to your arm.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: