06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
29/04/24 21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 00:44:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SDO - just a problem on the cotswold line or else where as well....  (Read 15305 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: December 11, 2007, 13:30:40 »

First morning of travelling today and all I can say is - what a joke.

For most of the line to oxford, only the front 2-5 coaches can be platformed. 

A summary of the various issues follows:

1. First class was like working on a station platform - there was always people walking through

2. Many standard class passengers decided to just sit in first causing more work for the TM(resolve)

3. By Charlbury there were standard passengers blocking the aisle through first so much so that the trolley could not get through - apparently there were seats in A and B but because CD (Capital Delivery) and E were full passengers just stood in the buffet and aisles (as predicted).  The TM made several requests for people to move down.

4. Groups of school kids travellng to oxford lingerered in the lobbies causing noise and disturbance.

5. And all these dont take into account the chaos on the patforms that I merely observed

6. The change to SDO (Selective Door Opening) means the TM having to make repeated announcments.  Given how close together the stations are on the cots line - no sooner as they had finished welcoming passengers boarded at XYZ they had to start the 4-5 warning of where to get off - if the poor TM did nt have laryngtis at the end to match the headache of the passengers I'll be surprised

i am currently exhausted as i got no rest on the way down despite being in 1st quiet carriage.  Standing standard passengers would let their phones go off and when asked to turn them off, got stroppy complaining about standing whilst we're worried about mobile phones (yes I was as I'm now dog meat). 

If it does not get better....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 13:37:44 »

It is a farce, the SDO (Selective Door Opening) panels do allow the TM(resolve) to release the doors to the rear or the front so why cant they stop with the Std class on the platform at the rear and release the doors behind?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 15:46:34 »

It is a farce, the SDO (Selective Door Opening) panels do allow the TM(resolve) to release the doors to the rear or the front so why cant they stop with the Std class on the platform at the rear and release the doors behind?

Because bikes need the front P/C

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 15:53:27 »

Thats only because they changed the policy, they could just platform coach A, problem solved.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 17:46:20 »

Ask users of Yatton if SDO (Selective Door Opening) is a problem :> Standby buses on hand for the rest of the week.....
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 18:55:58 »

Thats only because they changed the policy, they could just platform coach A, problem solved.
That's what I meant but I didn't explain properly, sorry!!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 22:04:58 »

First morning of travelling today and all I can say is - what a joke.

For most of the line to oxford, only the front 2-5 coaches can be platformed. 

A summary of the various issues follows:

1. First class was like working on a station platform - there was always people walking through

2. Many standard class passengers decided to just sit in first causing more work for the TM(resolve)

3. By Charlbury there were standard passengers blocking the aisle through first so much so that the trolley could not get through - apparently there were seats in A and B but because CD (Capital Delivery) and E were full passengers just stood in the buffet and aisles (as predicted).  The TM made several requests for people to move down.

4. Groups of school kids travellng to oxford lingerered in the lobbies causing noise and disturbance.

5. And all these dont take into account the chaos on the patforms that I merely observed

6. The change to SDO (Selective Door Opening) means the TM having to make repeated announcments.  Given how close together the stations are on the cots line - no sooner as they had finished welcoming passengers boarded at XYZ they had to start the 4-5 warning of where to get off - if the poor TM did nt have laryngtis at the end to match the headache of the passengers I'll be surprised

i am currently exhausted as i got no rest on the way down despite being in 1st quiet carriage.  Standing standard passengers would let their phones go off and when asked to turn them off, got stroppy complaining about standing whilst we're worried about mobile phones (yes I was as I'm now dog meat). 

If it does not get better....

Why not just lengthen the platforms yourselves. If Network Rail/FGW (First Great Western) are not willing, then get the CL User Group to do it!

Oh sorry, I forgot "heath and safety." How stupid of me, how would that idea work......
crwydryn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:09:11 »

Why not just lengthen the platforms yourselves. If Network Rail/FGW (First Great Western) are not willing, then get the CL User Group to do it!

Oh sorry, I forgot "heath and safety." How stupid of me, how would that idea work......
[/quote]

Interesting - in most countries the issue of platform lengthening would have been considered seriously and planned for over time, but given the lack of vision about public transport in the UK (United Kingdom).....

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 15:02:16 »

Interesting - in most countries the issue of platform lengthening would have been considered seriously and planned for over time, but given the lack of vision about public transport in the UK (United Kingdom).....

Wales on the other hand!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 17:42:25 »

Wales on the other hand!

Precisely! The same applies in Scotland.

As well as this: Why do we need SDO (Selective Door Opening)? If somebody is stupid enough to get off a train without a platform adjacent, then it is their fault if they slip and injure themselves. Britain has managed years of short platforms and longer trains in the past! Let the guard/automatic announcement tell people where to be in the train and then unlock all of the doors!

Result: (1) Less waiting around for the guard to walk up and down the train turning this switch on and that lever off! (2) People who forget to move to the right carriage can still get out using the HST (High Speed Train) steps, and not miss their stop! [i.e. like what people could do freely from mid 1800s to the 1960s!]

Oh damn, I forgot "health & safety" again didn't I? Yes, H&S (Health and Safety), the people who don't realise that "He gave us brains so we could think to make decisions on our own" (just like "He gave us eyes so we could see the beauty of the world" -deliberate line invention from an appropriate hymn, no religious significance intended).

Gosh, one day H&S will have us all sitting down on our sofas with seat-belts on in case someone crashes a car into our houses. Eating everything except dried locusts will have been banned to prevent cancer.

As for getting the train: huh!- "How dare you suggest such a risky adventure! What about the risk assessment? We shall have to stand over 10m from the platform edge........

[/rant]
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 20:24:32 »

Wales on the other hand!

Precisely! The same applies in Scotland.

As well as this: Why do we need SDO (Selective Door Opening)? If somebody is stupid enough to get off a train without a platform adjacent, then it is their fault if they slip and injure themselves. Britain has managed years of short platforms and longer trains in the past! Let the guard/automatic announcement tell people where to be in the train and then unlock all of the doors!

Result: (1) Less waiting around for the guard to walk up and down the train turning this switch on and that lever off! (2) People who forget to move to the right carriage can still get out using the HST (High Speed Train) steps, and not miss their stop! [i.e. like what people could do freely from mid 1800s to the 1960s!]

Oh damn, I forgot "health & safety" again didn't I? Yes, H&S (Health and Safety), the people who don't realise that "He gave us brains so we could think to make decisions on our own" (just like "He gave us eyes so we could see the beauty of the world" -deliberate line invention from an appropriate hymn, no religious significance intended).

Gosh, one day H&S will have us all sitting down on our sofas with seat-belts on in case someone crashes a car into our houses. Eating everything except dried locusts will have been banned to prevent cancer.

As for getting the train: huh!- "How dare you suggest such a risky adventure! What about the risk assessment? We shall have to stand over 10m from the platform edge........

[/rant]

A post that could have been penned by me!

lthough I do go one further and suggest that those that do come to an untimely end because of this should be awarded the Darwin award

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:46:29 »

FGW (First Great Western) seem to have surrendered on SDO (Selective Door Opening)!

Today both the Hereford-London trains stopped with standard class on the platforms at Cotswold Line stations. According to postings on the charlbury.info website's commuter blog, a train manager said on the PA (Public Address) that this was a "trial" for the next few days. FGW's top brass finally seem to have noticed their SDO can open the doors behind the panel being used as well as in front!

Has anything similar happened elsewhere today? Eg the West Country.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49:51 »

Yes that seemed to happen this morning at Nailsea. And coincidentally the trains were running much closer to time too.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:39 »

An excellent compromise, seems the cycle policy may need altering again!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 12:59:03 »

Lets hope so!!!!!!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: