Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:57:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty fare query  (Read 11499 times)
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 00:08:53 »

Aarg,

In your son's case, all trains between Guildford and Reading have a guard - its a safety requirement. The guard will be in the rear cab, looking out of the window, so he/she can use the buzzer to communicate with the driver to close doors etc.

So, tell your son to speak to the guard. Say that he needs to buy a ticket and can he board the train. I cannot imagine and guard refusing. Then board at the nearest door and wait for the guard to appear.

Simples.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 17:09:48 »

Penalty Fares queries certainly do seem to raise their ugly heads more often than most. (Argg, that is not a dig at you at all btw) Wink

To me, if this is the case. Is the PF (Penalty Fare) system fit for purpose? Clearly from posts not at all exclusive to this forum, seem to be heavily discussed and people don't understand exactly what they are.

I raised this post in another thread a while ago, which sadly went unanswered by the poster I was replying to. But Argg has raised an interesting point of arriving too late to buy your ticket.

In my case I cannot drive and have to rely on Public Transport. (Most commonly owned in Zummerset by the same parent company who owns the company you work for Wink )

Lets take the example I am travelling on the 20:22 departure from Frome Town Centre to Bath intending to get an onward train to Taunton. Would I be expected to check for roadworks along the bus route? Checking that every single day would be the regular stationary vehicles in Norton St. Phillip. (Which regularly ends up causing delay and accidents do frequently happen pretty mundane (Not lazy, more tedious I'd say?). Even so that doesn't elliminate the possibility that a driver crashing into there).

Are you saying that if I then got to the station late because the bus gets delayed that it is my fault?

Now there is a very good reason why I chose this bus as an example. The 20:22 Bus is the next service in the time table. Prior to a fairly recent timetable change the departure was 18:22 exactly two hours before the 20:22. In the new timetable the bus leaves at 18:28 which is 1 hour and 54 minutes until the next bus.

Is it really appropriate for an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) in this case to say "You should've left earlier" ?? I'd be interested to see their reaction when they're told how much "earlier" I would've needed to leave to get there and how much waiting around would need to be done!

Personally, If intended a good connection and then suffered delay on route. I don't think I should be liable to a penalty fare. I also think that a missed departure on an Advance Ticket should be honoured. Because the 17:49, 18:28, 20:22 and 22:22 Bus Services are the last departures of the day and are all operated by FirstGroup. So (and grahame also agreed IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) as they are run by the same parent company, I think a ticket should be sold/passed without question on production of your Bus Ticket.

Also as I pointed out in the original post. Is one expected to check the timetable/bus route each time they intend to take a train? I don't suppose you would agree on how tedious that would be every day? (I use buses and trains pretty much every day)

Even then, that "delay" information is only as good as the person feeding it into the computer. Some companies (including a primary operator in Somerset & Wiltshire) predominately supply this information mainly over Facebook. Even to this day, not everyone has a Facebook Account.

Invariably, with FirstGroup's Service Updates, You tend to only find the delay info once the delay has started, really useful to find the 14:49 is cancelled at 14:45.

Perhaps when you look at other transport method's failings, it becomes clear how even the smallest delay has a large knock on effect which could end up being very costly (i.e. missed Advance Ticket Departure). Perhaps integration is a necessity rather than a desirability. But I don't think we'll ever achieve true integration with such a fragmented transport industry which seems to encourage PF's even for what could be a genuine issue through no fault of your own (i.e. It was the bus companies fault)

Completely throwing the thread off topic. I wonder IF I received a Penalty Fare for missing an Advance Ticket Departure because the First Bus 267 broke down, whether FG would cover costs for the PF and reimburse me for both my Rail Tickets and Bus tickets?

I thought not..............

Grin Grin Grin Grin
vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:25 »

No, just like Virgin Atlantic would not reimburse you if you missed your flight because your Virgin Train was late.

And this is the problem with large transport conglomerates.  One name, one brand, one logo... Two or three or four very different companies. 

At my station we do not even stock first timetables, yet we do stock the rival bus companies!

Go figure.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 15:19:06 »

This is not a rant against anyone here, merely a rant at the system from a genuine rule abiding passenger/customer/client who is also trying to explain the rules to a beligerant teenager who couldnt get up early enough!

My emphasis - but if an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) saw this, a PF (Penalty Fare) it would be....
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 18:07:19 »

My emphasis - but if an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) saw this, a PF (Penalty Fare) it would be....

And what if the teenager suffered from Mental Health Conditions such as Insomnia, Depression and Anxiety to name a few?

(I threw that one out there as I suffer from all three of those conditions which started when I was in secondary school, and yes, I did used to fall asleep on the School Bus and during lessons!) Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 18:56:57 »

And what if the teenager suffered from Mental Health Conditions such as Insomnia, Depression and Anxiety to name a few?

It gets very complicated and goes down to individual operator policy more than 'the rules'.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:01:18 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 20:19:32 »

Lets take the example I am travelling on the 20:22 departure from Frome Town Centre to Bath intending to get an onward train to Taunton. Would I be expected to check for roadworks along the bus route? Checking that every single day would be the regular stationary vehicles in Norton St. Phillip. (Which regularly ends up causing delay and accidents do frequently happen pretty mundane (Not lazy, more tedious I'd say?). Even so that doesn't elliminate the possibility that a driver crashing into there).

Are you saying that if I then got to the station late because the bus gets delayed that it is my fault?

You're missing the point slightly here I think.

The important consideration isn't so much whether you *personally* are at fault, it's whether or not the *railway* is at fault. Clearly if your bus gets you to the station too late to buy a ticket that isn't because the railway is at fault. You would therefore not be technically protected should you choose to join a train without a ticket on that basis.

It sounds a bit harsh, but looking at things from a completely blunt, factual, legal and contractual point of view, it's not the railway's fault or problem that you can only get to the station on a two-hourly bus service that makes an iffy connection. It's possible that staff might show discretion, but you wouldn't be entitled to it I'm afraid.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 21:54:54 »

It sounds a bit harsh, but looking at things from a completely blunt, factual, legal and contractual point of view, it's not the railway's fault or problem that you can only get to the station on a two-hourly bus service that makes an iffy connection. It's possible that staff might show discretion, but you wouldn't be entitled to it I'm afraid.

It may indeed perhaps seem a bit harsh, but that's life, and I'm with blakey on his summary of that situation.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: