29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:33:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[94] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[73] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[49] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Conflicting Information R.E. FGW Pullmans and Travelling Chefs  (Read 7179 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2013, 16:19:22 »

Ok, This is a semi-rant. But even for me I struggled to get my head around this one...

The FGW (First Great Western) Website lists the following information under The Pullman Restaurant:

12:01 Plymouth - London Paddington - Pullman Dining available to Taunton 
12:55 Plymouth - London Paddington - Available to Castle Cary

18:03 London Paddington - Penzance - Available from Paddington and Reading
19:03 London Paddington - Plymouth - Available from Paddington and Reading

Which seems perfectly informative right? Wrong. Look on FGW's Ticket Booking Engine and the following information comes up regarding these trains retrospectively:

12:01 Service - Buffet Only. FGW's Booking System does not advertise this train as having a Pullman
12:55 Service - This does show as having a Pullman Restaurant and Buffet Service

Now lets look at The Travelling Chef and this is even worse.

The website lists a number of trains so I won't list them all, just the ones that stand out on the search I was looking for.

However the website I feel is very misleading. It tells you the Travelling Chef is available to: Station Name

What does this even try and tell you? Would it be more understandable from a customer point of view to say: Last Orders taken at: Station Name. Or Last Orders taken shortly after: Station Name.

And similar to the Pullman Timetable listing information. The 07:48 and 08:53 also show as having a Buffet Service only on the FGW Booking Engine. I can tell you for a useless fact of the day; the 08:53 certainly does have a Travelling Chef... I've eaten on it!

Finally. EBrown raised a complaint via Twitter with FGW about the price of Eggs on Toast being advertised at ^7.00 on the FGW Website (Actual cost is ^4.50 AIUI (as I understand it)) This still hasn't been amended. According to the Website, you could get a Vegetarian Breakfast for the exact same money - ^7.00 Shocked Angry Roll Eyes Cheesy

Discuss...:

Grin Grin Grin Grin
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:01:24 »

Finally. EBrown raised a complaint via Twitter with FGW (First Great Western) about the price of Eggs on Toast being advertised at ^7.00 on the FGW Website (Actual cost is ^4.50 AIUI (as I understand it)) This still hasn't been amended. According to the Website, you could get a Vegetarian Breakfast for the exact same money - ^7.00 Shocked Angry Roll Eyes Cheesy
I shall be sending @FGW another tweet tomorrow which shall look something like this...

So @FGW, in December you said you'd be changing your website error where eggs on toast are priced at ^7. Wondering if that's been done yet?

If that fails, I shall take to alternate methods.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 19:01:52 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:12 »

The problems with the catering facilities not showing up in the booking engine are because they haven't been put in the system for some reason. The problem seems to be with any service starting from Penzance. They are all only shown as having a buffet service, which is correct upon departure from Penzance. They should have the enhanced catering facilities in anyway though.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 21:06:21 »

Which will leave First Great Western with egg on their face, no doubt. Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 21:13:22 »

Sorry. Only just spotted this. I have corrected the error.

Note: In regard to Egg on Toast.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 21:14:59 »

There's no egg on Ollie's face, then: thanks, mate!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 21:22:35 »

Sorry. Only just spotted this. I have corrected the error.

Note: In regard to Egg on Toast.

Thanks Ollie!

Which will leave First Great Western with egg on their face, no doubt.
Yes, Ollie knows what trouble I cause. Wink
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:58:02 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 13:51:58 »

Which will leave First Great Western with egg on their face, no doubt. Grin

I wonder if CrossCountry have removed theirs yet?? Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: