Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 06:25:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Channel 5 documentary, 'The Railway: First Great Western'  (Read 106026 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2013, 16:24:45 »

Maybe a day return should be valid for a whole day, ie within 24 hours, not part of a day Smiley

Your logic is impeccable. But it is logic, and as such has no place in a discussion on train ticket pricing and policy.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
welsh1980

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2013, 16:52:24 »

On the subject of day returns I think they should be valid until 6am the following morning. At the end of the day the passengers do have a ticket its not as if they are asking to travel back without a return ticket.

The series is really good but it does seem focused on the HST (High Speed Train) out of paddington rather than some of the FGW (First Great Western) local services.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2013, 20:41:37 »

Can anyone explain to me why a return journey that can be completed within a day (if that's not a tautology) should be significantly cheaper than a return journey that cannot be completed within a day (if that's not an oxymoron)? Or am I falling into the same trap of trying to apply logic where logic is not appropriate?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2013, 20:53:12 »

Can anyone explain to me why a return journey that can be completed within a day (if that's not a tautology) should be significantly cheaper than a return journey that cannot be completed within a day (if that's not an oxymoron)? Or am I falling into the same trap of trying to apply logic where logic is not appropriate?

A question I asked in July 2011. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9296.msg95576#msg95576

There is a quite a long thread.  Not really sure I ever got a satisfactory answer though!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2013, 22:56:44 »

A question I asked in July 2011. http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=9296.msg95576#msg95576

There is a quite a long thread.  Not really sure I ever got a satisfactory answer though!

Ah, thanks for that!  Phrases involving 'worms' and 'can' spring to mind (as they so often do, when ticketing is involved)... I suppose the most plausible answer is 'fraud', but 'plausible' is not the same things as 'satisfactory'.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2013, 23:41:41 »

If you look outside Britain, or outside railways, day returns (or even day singles) are not that common. Ferry companies use them, but that's pretty obvious - it fills empty boats and doesn't damage their other business which is inherently for longer periods. And, of course, they are selective about which crossing to offer them on. None of which applies to the railways - did it ever do so?

You don't need to go far to find railways that don't use them - and hardly use off-peak, or even returns as cheaper than two singles. And they may offer all tickets in advance with (almost) unlimited validity, which is the real fraud issue here. So none of these is inherent to railways.

Our rail ticketing system does seem to be remarkably conservative (i.e. resistant to change), which may be the origin of some of its mind-tetanising complexity. I'm not sure if it's the industry or the public that is so insistent on sticking with these "old British practices".
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2013, 07:59:39 »

The other point made in that thread is that for some flows they are the regulated walk on fares. So it is not just down to train operating companies.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2013, 10:20:55 »

In any wholesale reform even if the revenue overall change was neutral there would be winners and losers - the former would remain quiet, the latter would shout loudly. Most of my rail travel these days is fairly short distance one day trips so I might well fall into the latter category Smiley

The price regulation of some fares and not others has created a whole new set of distortions and anomalies, adding to those inherited from British Rail, and several generations of marketing initiatives (week end returns, mid week returns, savers, super savers, apex, advance, group save, railcards - the list goes on for ever).

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2013, 10:26:26 »

The other point made in that thread is that for some flows they are the regulated walk on fares. So it is not just down to train operating companies.
I interpreted the question posed in this thread to be about railway ticket pricing per se, so the effect of government pricing regulations is excluded. The point that demonstrates is that we seem to be unable to think of any justification for day tickets on pricing grounds alone.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2013, 18:08:18 »

From the Express:

Pick of the day: The Railway - First Great Western

Jody starts another day on the Paddington-Swansea line [CHANNEL 5]

This week sleepy Newbury racecourse station springs to life for two major racing events, with a team dispatched to the usually unmanned halt to keep things running smoothly.

Meanwhile train manager Jody (above) braces herself to expect the unexpected as she starts another day on the Paddington-Swansea line, and the emergency services spring into action at the Penzance depot.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2013, 07:05:21 »

After all the debate over how many episodes there would be, Channel 5 tweeted last night that this week's episode was the penultimate one.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 10:21:23 »

Quite enjoyed last night's edition, thought it was quite funny that they reckon "Thames Turbo's" have been around since the '60's!
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2013, 12:27:24 »

Another date inaccuracy was the Gunnislake line, said to be 'one of the oldest'.   For the record, Plymouth to Bere Alston 1890; Bere Alston to Calstock 1908;  and Calstock to Gunnislake was originally the ECMR opened in 1872.  All of which are quite late in that railway construction era. 
However, the programme continues to be entertaining.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2013, 17:50:08 »

Looking forward to next week's episode to see the resolution of the, 'kicked up the ass', incident at Newbury.  Grin

An obvious assault caught on camera, but I did chuckle.

Just shows how managers can get away with assaulting passengers in self defence and normal employees get sacked or suspended for the same thing. Andrew Dickenson (Performance Manager Swindon) seemed to have got a promotion after this incident. I know of someone who was headbutted at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) by a pax, who then put that pax to the floor who was suspended. That employee continues to work for FGW (First Great Western) only after BTP (British Transport Police) said the employee was fully in the right.

I have named the manager because he was named on the programme.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2013, 17:58:34 »

Naming the guy is fine, but I suspect his promotion after the incident was coincidental and not causal.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: