Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 04:12:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Away from the west. Picture quiz.  (Read 14639 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 23:27:52 »

6. Stoke-on-Trent
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:57:11 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 23:29:12 »

6. Stoke-on-Trent

Correct.

That just leaves pictures 2 and 10.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 00:34:14 »

2 Cannon Street? When does the 24 hours end?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 00:40:05 »

24 hours after bignosemac's original post?  Grin

If 2 is Cannon Street - what's a Welsh police officer doing there?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 01:08:42 »

A Guess as I'm not 100% sure... But:

No 2. Birmingham New Street?

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 01:16:50 »

If 2 is Birmingham New Street - what's a Welsh police officer doing there?

(No, I don't know the answer either, yet. Grin )

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:18 »

A Guess as I'm not 100% sure... But:

No 2. Birmingham New Street?

Correct.

If 2 is Birmingham New Street - what's a Welsh police officer doing there?

Shoulder epaulettes were 'pip' and crown so he would have been a Chief Superintendent. Internet digging and finding a picture leads me to believe he is the CS for BTP (British Transport Police) Wales and Western region, who is based in Birmingham. I wonder whether he has two sets of uniforms. One with prominent Welsh wording and one with only English.

Incidentally, I've just discovered that the Officer in overall charge of the BTPs Neighbourhood Policing Teams in London was called Chief Inspector Dreyfus.* I just hope he didn't have a Clouseau in his ranks!

*Now promoted to Superintendent. Perhaps to stop the jokes.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:49:08 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 01:48:25 »

Thanks for that excellent detective work, bignosemac!  Grin

I'm only surprised that British Transport Police officers in Wales and Western Region don't have just the one version of the reflective panel, showing POLICE and HEDDLU, and have done with it, for half the cost. Roll Eyes

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 01:50:26 »

His back panel did have the English translation in much smaller script.

Back to the quiz. Just picture 10 to get. I rather suspected this might be the toughest of the bunch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:07:54 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 02:49:05 »

Back to the quiz. Just picture 10 to get. I rather suspected this might be the toughest of the bunch.
I believe it's Alsager (ASG)?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:57:04 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 03:09:56 »

I believe it's Alsager (ASG)?

And I believe you didn't read, or have ignored, the prominent sentence (in bold and underlined) at the head of the OP (Original Poster / topic starter). There's always one. Roll Eyes Tongue

Never mind. Correct.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 08:46:09 »

This was a part of the network that I'm more familiar with than parts of FGW (First Great Western)-land - which meant that I recognised about half of them. But I was very surprised that it took so long for Birmingham New Street to be named.
Andy W

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 11:17:41 »

This was a part of the network that I'm more familiar with than parts of FGW (First Great Western)-land - which meant that I recognised about half of them. But I was very surprised that it took so long for Birmingham New Street to be named.

Me too. In fact I used to live in Alsager and spent many happy hours at Crewe watching the 'Big 'Uns' come and go. Great in those days as there was often a change of engine at Crewe so you'd also get a lot of additional movements on/off 5A.

The Knotty was finally electrified from Crewe to Kidsgrove not so long ago so that there is a good WCML (West Coast Main Line) diversionary route south from Crewe through Stoke. I don't know if you noticed BMN but at the time that the electrification was done much of the line from Radway Green (now closed) on to Crewe was singled !!!

So in one fell swoop you get a good upgrade & then limit it's use - I can never figure out Network Rail!!

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:20 »

The only one I could get was Manchester Victoria - I used to use it every day - but someone beat me to it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 16:19:37 »

As a follow-up, how about a little fares teaser?

I travelled from Bristol - Manchester on Wednesday 23rd and returned on Thursday 24th. With walk-up tickets.

Bristol - Birmingham was Standard Class Off Peak Return, although I didn't use a Bristol - Birmingham ticket. I paid ^26.50 - no splits. The Bristol - Birmingham advertised Off Peak Return is ^50.40

Birmingham to Manchester was a selection of 1st Class Anytime Day tickets totalling ^48 allowing me to travel up via Crewe, Alsager and Stoke-on-Trent (Virgin, London Midland, Virgin) in that order. On the return I changed at Stoke-on-Trent (Virgin, CrossCountry). The Birmingham to Manchester advertised 1st Class Off Peak Return is ^85.50.

Anyone like to have a guess at the tickets I purchased?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: