Delayed
17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
22:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 00:42:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC TV - The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track  (Read 33122 times)
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 00:19:19 »

I also thought it was a huge improvement on the previous week and really began to explain what went on behind the scenes.

My favourite lines were: "The line is blocked by floods Madam" Reply "So will the the next train be ontime?"

It really makes you wonder!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 01:44:05 »

Next week: Great Western Smiley

Starring role Ollie?

Been a while since you've been on TV. 'The Gadget Show' wasn't it?  Tongue Wink Grin

Nah no starring role for me Sad

It was The Gadget Show yeah Smiley
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:57:18 »

Mr Ollie was on The Gadget Show? Well I never! Must've been one of the few episodes I missed lol!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 21:09:57 »

Just got round to watching episode 2. A much better representation of the daily life on the railways. There seems to be a little less cynicism up north. The staff featured were a much more jolly lot. I loved the Northern driver and his dry sense of humour, "I've hit dogs, cats, foxes, I've hit 'em all. Never hit a magpie. Far too clever." Followed by, "Pigeon playing chicken. Whould've thought?" And then toward the end, when being asked about his real family and his railway 'family', he replied, "Yeah, it's a bit like your family. There's always one brother who gets on your tits."

Joe Public though.... there really are some odious users of the rail network. I take my hat off to the rail staff and BTP (British Transport Police) who have to deal with them, day in, day out.

While there was light with the jolly staff, there was also some shade with the BTP dealing with a 'one-under' fatality. That was hard to watch. Particularly hearing the BTP officer's thoughts on having to break the news to a mother that her 15 year old son had been hit by a train and killed.

I wonder what the spotlight on FGW (First Great Western) will bring.....

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 21:21:54 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 19:25:50 »

I'm simply giving this topic a gentle 'bump' to remind anyone who might have forgotten that episode 3: Reading to Paddington - Standing Room Only (First Great Western) is on air at 9:00 this evening.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 21:20:49 »

Poor Ronnie.  Cry Sad

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 22:00:48 »

Travelling Chef Karen. Have had a fair amount of her excellently prepared fare. Only disappointment has been the recent burger. Perhaps I got the bland supermarket cheddar on my burger rather than the advertised Vale of Camelot.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 22:28:15 »

Well, I've just enjoyed a remarkable hour of televisual entertainment.  Cheesy

Overall, I thought all of the staff who were featured - whether they were from First Great Western and their various contractors, or from Network Rail or British Transport Police, all presented very well.

There were so many little gems, worthy of jotting down, too:

"Expect some strong language" - actually, there wasn't that much (apart from some intoxicated passengers);

A ticket "... will be ^323.50," and the reaction from the prospective passenger was a classic Shocked

Hayley in lost property deserves a series of her own ...  Grin

On board catering: Clatter "Oh sh!t" followed by the rejoinder "Wherever she goes, there's chaos."

Smuggling emergency supplies of supermarket cheese on board the 20:14 ...  Tongue

Norman Topsom MBE at Twyford - top bloke!

Young Ben Rudkin from Network Rail - dealt with four fatalities in five months - and that's not including poor Ronnie  Sad

It was really worth watching - I commend it to anyone reading this topic.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 22:37:39 »

televisual entertainment
  - he's swallowed a dictionary again - or been watching Bernard Cribbins on that Fawlty Towers episode "The Hotel Inspectors".

Seriously though I would echo Chris from Nailsea's comments.  It was a very good watch.  Seeing the work that went in over Christmas 2011 was an eye opener.  The lost property office was also interesting - heard all the stories of false legs being found - but never people trying to claim things someone else might have lost!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 23:06:23 by bobm » Logged
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 22:44:47 »

I enjoyed it immensely. Having worked at Reading some years ago, and recognising some of the staff, it was a pleasure to see a presentation of the real issues in a calm and dispassionate manner. On the whole, the staff came out some way ahead of the passengers!

The bit about BTP (British Transport Police) being around on Christmas Eve made me smile. Ten years ago it was me and three security staff trying to keep order on a Saturday night. I'm very glad it appears to have changed.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:29 »

I endorse the opinions of those before. Having travelled through Reading for most of the last few years, it seemed strange to see the "old" platform numbers.

OK now I may be biased but out of the 3 programmes so far this seemed the most positive in terms of the attitude of those interviewed. In fact I found some of the interviewees in Episode 2 depressing and/or rude.

I'm not sure that I agree with the idea of Hayley having a series of her own Smiley

Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:26 »

The very brief clip of intercity liveried HST (High Speed Train)'s and a class 101 DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) in a bay platfrom at Reading. Nice.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:14 »

Comments I've read on other boards include: that it was just FGW (First Great Western) propaganda as it only showed delays not caused by them and didn't focus enough on the overcrowding; and in regards to the signal failure, why does it take x men to do something in 5+ hours one man could do in 20 mins plus the NR» (Network Rail - home page) worker smoking at work is very unprofessional.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 12:15:14 »

Comments I've read on other boards include: that it was just FGW (First Great Western) propaganda as it only showed delays not caused by them and didn't focus enough on the overcrowding; and in regards to the signal failure, why does it take x men to do something in 5+ hours one man could do in 20 mins plus the NR» (Network Rail - home page) worker smoking at work is very unprofessional.

I wouldn't agree that it was FGW propaganda (my opinion) and I don't know what the regs are regarding NR employees smoking in the open air.

I thought there were quite a few examples of overcrowding. Just my 2c

Dave
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 13:04:23 »

It was a great watch.

RIP Ronnie, although I must admit when I first saw him lifted from the track I thought he was a stuffed dummy, he was that stiff.

I thought it showed plenty of over-crowding, there were several shots of people being advised not to board HST (High Speed Train)'s as they were full.

The section covering Norman at Twyford was done like a tribute, and none more deserving by the looks  Smiley

The fatality, where was it? (I didn't recognise the area, but obviously on one of the branches).

Personally I really related to the late night clips from Reading, as it reminded me of many occasions waiting for the 0020 to Thatcham!

Finally, if Hayley had a series of her own, I think it would be ideal for ITV2!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: