Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:18:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail collision on level crossing at Manorbier in Pembrokeshire - 28 January 2013  (Read 10384 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 28, 2013, 22:45:05 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail collision on level crossing in Pembrokeshire

An investigation is under way after a train collided with a car on a level crossing in Pembrokeshire.

The 17:09 Pembroke Dock to Swansea service struck the vehicle at Manorbier in what British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) say was a "glancing blow".

There were eight passengers on board the train but no-one was injured in the incident. The line has been closed pending an investigation and a replacement bus service is operating.

BTP said its officers were called to the scene just after 17:35 GMT along with colleagues from Dyfed-Powys Police. In a statement, BTP said: "A car had been struck a glancing blow by a train at a rural level crossing. Thankfully no-one was injured as a result of the incident and we are working to determine the cause of the collision. We will inform the Rail Accident Investigation Branch."

Arriva Trains Wales said: "The 17:09 Pembroke Dock to Swansea service struck a car earlier on the Manorbier Newton open crossing. It was a glancing blow. Damage was limited. There are no injuries to the car driver, the train crew of two and eight passengers."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 23:19:33 »

Is that one of the crossings where the train has to 'stop and hoot'? If so, is it possible for a train to be going fast enough over the crossing to cause much damage if something gets in the way?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 23:24:58 »

You're more of a 'local' than me, Rhydgaled: I was hoping you'd tell me!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 23:56:57 »

It's shown in my track atlas as an "open crossing". I'm not absolutely au fait with the nomenclature, but I *think* that it may be an open crossing with signs but without lights. In that case there will be an exceedingly low linespeed (probably of the order of 10 mph) and may well also be a requirement for a train to stop and sounds its horn before proceeding.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:10 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Rail collision on level crossing in Pembrokeshire

An investigation is under way after a train collided with a car on a level crossing in Pembrokeshire.

The 17:09 Pembroke Dock to Swansea service struck the vehicle at Manorbier in what British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) say was a "glancing blow".

There were eight passengers on board the train but no-one was injured in the incident. The line has been closed pending an investigation and a replacement bus service is operating.
I was more interested in a rush hour train with 8 pax.  It could be of course that a decade ago there were only 4.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:43:01 »

I think the rush hour flow in that part of the world is more of a dribble. 
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:49:30 »

Yes trains have to stop  and sound the horn before proceeding over this crossing. I saw some people waiting at this crossing back last summer who it seemed were not expecting to see a hst on a branchline.

This crossing is one of the reasons why the journey time is so long between Tenby & Pembroke Dock. The journey can be done easily in 23 minutes if the crossing were sorted out and the linespeed increased.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:15 »

I was more interested in a rush hour train with 8 pax.  It could be of course that a decade ago there were only 4.

If you're going to produce a regular(ish?) timetable on a route with unbalanced flows - e.g. commutes from West Wales into Carmarthen, or into Paddington from Bedwyn, then your opposite trains will be quiet.  For all the talk of overcrowding, I expect you would be shocked to see the percentage of the time that a train seat's actually occupied. And just because it was carrying fresh air at Manorbier doesn't mean it's quite to empty from Tenby or from Whiltand.

There are, though, some truly wasted trains at times.

In GW (Great Western) land, I can tell you of a train that finishes an afternoon run at 16:33.   It sits unused until 17:11, when it runs a local service taking no more than 12 minutes (and following another train that's gone 10 minutes ahead of it), and has very few passengers - or at least did when I took a look.   It then comes back (about 20 minutes after another train) and it's an interesting question as to whether this is the best use of a train in the peak time ... for over an hour, it's just run for 20 minutes, more empty than full, and doubling up something else.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 19:39:40 »

I think the rush hour flow in that part of the world is more of a dribble.
How much of the commuting market share does the Pembroke & Tenby railway get anyway? West of Tenby (which Manorbier is), the line is quite indirect to Whitland, going via Tenby, and therefore probably much slower than the road to Carmarthen. In the summer holidays however they lengthen the trains from 153s to Pacers, and then they are full or overflowing (at least east of Tenby), that's why they run two IC125 services on the branch on Summer Saturdays.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 20:36:28 »

If the same crosing last time i saw it 20 years ago it was train crew operated gates. Made the journey even slower! Especialy with an HST (High Speed Train).

John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 20:46:51 »

Yes trains have to stop  and sound the horn before proceeding over this crossing. I saw some people waiting at this crossing back last summer who it seemed were not expecting to see a hst on a branchline.

This crossing is one of the reasons why the journey time is so long between Tenby & Pembroke Dock. The journey can be done easily in 23 minutes if the crossing were sorted out and the linespeed increased.

Network Rail have developed a new type of crossing in Scotland that is being rolled out on currently open crossings there. I believe they cost a fraction of the usual cost, at around 100k per installation, and as well as the safety benefit, have the added benefit of eliminating the severe linespeed restrictions at such crossings.

I would have thought that there was a good case to invest a few million south of the border installing similar crossings, which could improve the attractiveness of rural branches by the reduction in journey times.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:49:58 »

Network Rail have developed a new type of crossing in Scotland that is being rolled out on currently open crossings there. I believe they cost a fraction of the usual cost, at around 100k per installation, and as well as the safety benefit, have the added benefit of eliminating the severe linespeed restrictions at such crossings.

I would have thought that there was a good case to invest a few million south of the border installing similar crossings, which could improve the attractiveness of rural branches by the reduction in journey times.

No.  Those are conversions of existing AOCL (Automatic Open Crossing (Locally monitored) A level crossing without barriers that is observed by the train crew before they proceed over the crossing) crossings (already fitted with road lights) to ABCL (Automatic Barrier Crossing Locally monitored) (fitted with barriers).  The crossing we are talking about is purely open with fixed road signs.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 20:22:19 »

How much of the commuting market share does the Pembroke & Tenby railway get anyway? West of Tenby (which Manorbier is), the line is quite indirect to Whitland, going via Tenby, and therefore probably much slower than the road to Carmarthen. In the summer holidays however they lengthen the trains from 153s to Pacers, and then they are full or overflowing (at least east of Tenby), that's why they run two IC125 services on the branch on Summer Saturdays.

My parents' nearest railway station is Whitland, so I have a bi of experience of using the railway in that part of the world. From my experience it's surprisingly well used: the Pembroke Dock branch is generally operated by 153s, and it's not unusual to have trouble finding a seat if you board an up service at Whitland. Equally the two- and three-car units on the Milford Haven via Haverfordwest run tend to load very well. The most significant passenger flows appear to be to/from Carmarthen and Swansea, both of which have big shopping areas within a short distance of the station: bear in mind that in west Carmarthenshire/south Pembrokeshire there's very little in the way of public transport apart from the railway, so it tends to be well patronized by those who don't have cars.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:57 »

My parents' nearest railway station is Whitland, so I have a bi of experience of using the railway in that part of the world. From my experience it's surprisingly well used: the Pembroke Dock branch is generally operated by 153s, and it's not unusual to have trouble finding a seat if you board an up service at Whitland. Equally the two- and three-car units on the Milford Haven via Haverfordwest run tend to load very well. The most significant passenger flows appear to be to/from Carmarthen and Swansea, both of which have big shopping areas within a short distance of the station: bear in mind that in west Carmarthenshire/south Pembrokeshire there's very little in the way of public transport apart from the railway, so it tends to be well patronized by those who don't have cars.
Since I live in the area, I've used Whitland, Fishguard and Clunderwen stations a fair few times, and Haverfordwest once or twice, but I've only been to Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock once, both on the same day and returning on the same train I arrived on. I've done more bus travel around Pembs than train travel though. I've seen a wide range of loadings on the Milford/Fishguard services, but my lack of experience of the Pembroke Dock line means I have no idea on whether the much longer journey times to Carmarthen and Swansea (which are reached from Milford/Fishguard by train almost as quick as by car) have much effect on loadings.

If I remember rightly, most of the mainline bus services around Pembrokeshire are hourly (eg. Newport - Fishguard - Haverfordwest, St. Davids - Haverfordwest and Haverfordwest - Tenby) on weekdays but non-existant on Sundays, and (presumably because of the railway) there isn't much in the way of buses heading out of the county to Carmarthen any day of the week.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: