Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:14:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail tickets should be valid on buses ...  (Read 14837 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 13:50:53 »

My apologies. By 'series of bus hops' I thought you were suggesting there wasn't a direct bus service.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 17:11:49 »

It's me that's confused BNM.  I started the posting thinking about 'legs', and then had the brainwave(??) that Yeovil to Bristol was a better example as it was a long way on one bus and not National Express, on which of course you cannot use the bus pass.  Thanks, once again.  Wink

This make me wonder, what is the longest west country journey you can do on a OAP bus pass?

I offer Poole to Exeter (X53) Jurassic Coast.  We use the service occasionally.  Getting out of the little lanes at Beer is sometimes quite exciting with the double decker, especially when meeting the dustcart half way.

But the main point is 'what is local transport'?  The GLA is self defining, although I understand the TfL» (Transport for London - about) wants to take over half the home counties.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 20:42:03 »

It's me that's confused BNM.  I started the posting thinking about 'legs', and then had the brainwave(??) that Yeovil to Bristol was a better example as it was a long way on one bus and not National Express, on which of course you cannot use the bus pass.  Thanks, once again.  Wink

Sorry swrural, Can I just ask you to clarify if I may. Are you saying that Bus Passes are not valid on National Express? Or not valid on the journey from Yeovil - Bristol with First Bus?

Ta.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 03:01:53 »

This make me wonder, what is the longest west country journey you can do on a OAP bus pass?

I offer Poole to Exeter (X53) Jurassic Coast. 

You've picked the winner! Not only the longest in the West Country, but the longest, by duration, in England, coming in at 4h35mins.

http://leytr.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/englands-longest-bus-routes.html

Second longest is, I believe, Stagecoach South's 700 Coastliner service from Southsea to Brighton at 4h14min.

I've travelled both, end to end.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:08:11 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 07:39:50 »

Bus passes are also valid off peak on registered sections of National Express routes.

http://www.buspassheaven.co.uk/nereg.pdf

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/consumer-advice/publictransport-and-concessions/

"Older and disabled people are entitled to a free bus and a minimum concession of free off-peak travel on a local bus anywhere in England.  Off-peak times are between 9.30 am and 11 pm on working days and all day at weekends and public holidays. "

So Newbury to Frome on the 402 is a possible journey daily.  Frome to Newbury is only covered on Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday.  And as I read it, you can't book free places ahead, so if today's coach turns up full at Newbury, your next opportunity will be tomorrow ... if there's space.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:49:40 »

Grahame - yes and dare one try it seems to be the message!

These restrictions apply (thanks for the link):

' Free passes are accepted on a "standby" basis only. Priority will always be given to farepaying and pre-booked passengers i.e. if you will only be able to travel if there are spare
seats available.
It is not possible to book seats using free passes, therefore there is no guarantee that you
will be able to travel when you wish, or that there will be a place on the coach to take you
back!
Please bear in mind time restrictions when travelling in other counties. If you change
onto a coach / or return from outside your county, if you travel outside the time
restriction of other counties, your pass may not be valid for travel on Mondays - Fridays.'

- make it almost impossible for anyone to gamble, especially an elderly person.

I suspect that it would be necessary for the ordinary routes and services to be spelt out, if such an initiative were to be introduced.  I presume that, at the moment, we are all in the SW essentially subsidising GLA residents.  I knew we were subsidising rail commuters into London anyway.   Sad

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 18:18:37 »

Just a small correction to Grahame's blog senior bus pass validity. The start time of 09.30 is the latest start time. It can be earlier ifthe LA is prepared to pay thecost entirely. In Oxfordshire the pass is valid from 09.00.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:20 »

Shouldn't First Great Western ticket holders between X and Y routinely be able to use First bus services between X and Y?

Graham you should know better!

Tickets available on both bus and Trains (plus trams and ferries) is a nasty European integrated public transport concept.

Can't have that. Bus must compete with rail and you certainly and you can't have First train passengers using their tickets on First Buses as that would be anti competitive.
Between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth, Arriva Buses Wales (X32 bus), Arriva Trains Wales and Lloyds Coaches (X28 bus) have/had interavailable ticketing. I've never tried to use it myself, but I believe a rail ticket's return portion was available on either operator's bus while a ticket bought on the bus was valid return by rail but not by the other operator's bus. Not sure if this inititive is still operational though, Arriva's X32 bus certainly isn't.

Additionally, in Wales we have Cymru Connect. However, this is only available from rail stations I believe, and when I asked my grandmother to investigate at Aberystwyth the responce was confused, so maybe the staff don't know about the tickets in order to sell them.

A number of towns in Wales without rail links have been shown on the East Coast journey planner for some time (and the new FirstGW journey planner, which uses the same system), and are now complete with their own 3-letter station codes. Of course if you try searching for services to/from these places it will fail, now making CymruConnect tickets available through that system would be a great step forward.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:44 »

In searching for something completely different (an Edinburgh Tram thread, as that's due to open on 31st May according to http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/edinburgh-trams-to-launch-on-31-may-1-3396033 ), I came across this.

It's a small step ... but ... train tickets are now valid on the final 234 bus from Chippenham to Melksham and Trowbridge; a very sensible step which allows the traveller who's normal route is the train to have the re-assurance that he can still get home if the misses the 20:12 off Swindon (and with that reassurance to regularly use the train with a know safety net).  It also helps - in a little way - generate a bit of extra traffic on that 234 bus which usually has quite a few spare seats available.

When this came in a couple of months back, there was some concern as to whether the 234 bus drivers would be aware of the new facility as it's so specific and not exactly commonplace for things like this to happen.  So far, those fears have been completely groundless, but if anyone hears otherwise please let me know.  We have mechanisms in place just in case ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 20:38:20 »

In Thames Trains days, rail returns from Oxford to London were valid on the overnight X90 coaches. Supposedly this continued some time into the FGWL era - I presume it's no longer the case but haven't been able to find any documentation anywhere!
This ended around 2008-2009 and was very useful.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 23:24:08 »

It's a small step ... but ... train tickets are now valid on the final 234 bus from Chippenham to Melksham and Trowbridge; a very sensible step which allows the traveller who's normal route is the train to have the re-assurance that he can still get home if the misses the 20:12 off Swindon (and with that reassurance to regularly use the train with a know safety net).  It also helps - in a little way - generate a bit of extra traffic on that 234 bus which usually has quite a few spare seats available.

When this came in a couple of months back, there was some concern as to whether the 234 bus drivers would be aware of the new facility as it's so specific and not exactly commonplace for things like this to happen.  So far, those fears have been completely groundless, but if anyone hears otherwise please let me know.  We have mechanisms in place just in case ...

Used it again tonight ... and ticket was accepted without question.  A second passenger using it was on his way from Bristol to Melksham, have travelled Melksham to Bristol all the way by train earlier in the day.   And he was extolling the virtues of the new service ... a non-driver who's found it makes such a difference to Brighton and Bristol.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: