19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 16:13:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: South West Trains short term special offers  (Read 45243 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 19:13:25 »

Thanks. Or no thanks to SWT (South West Trains)!

1830 weekdays! No chance of getting down there after work then....
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 19:17:33 »

Rather depends on where you live and what hours you work.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 20:25:53 »

Tempting... Very tempting indeed
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 11:45:38 »

Rainbow Day is on again at Guildford Station - Saturday 20th July 2013.

Link:
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/rainbowday.aspx
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 13:56:23 »

It is on again at Alton, Bentley, Farnham, Aldershot, Ash Vale, Ash, Wanborough*, Frimley, Camberley and Bagshot stations on Saturday 26 October

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/rainbowday.aspx

*Might have a job due to the lack of ticket office, but that is what is quoted on the page above. In addition, they have referred to all of those as Alton line stations (several are not).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 14:30:16 »

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/wintersmilestickets.aspx

Biggest ever ^10 ticket sale launched for South West Trains passengers

^Hundreds of thousands of ^10 tickets available on weekends throughout January and February

^Buy tickets in advance or turn up and go on the day

Hundreds of thousands of discounted tickets will be available for South West Trains passengers during January and February as the company^s biggest ever weekend winter offer was launched today (13 January).

^Winter Smiles^ tickets can be purchased from today for travel on any Saturday or Sunday up until 23 February for just ^10 same day return per adult, and ^5 per child.

Passengers will be able to travel to and from any two South West Trains stations across the majority of its network. The Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads line and the Exeter to Feniton line are excluded, but the Island Line is included provided passengers hold tickets to Portsmouth Harbour. The rest of the network covers an impressive amount of territory south and west of London's Waterloo Station - to the coast at Portsmouth and Weymouth in Dorset, into Wiltshire, Hampshire and Berkshire, making the tickets a real bargain.

Arthur Pretorius, Deputy Customer Service Director for the South West Trains ^ Network Rail Alliance, said: ^This is our best offer to date for everybody within our area to go and explore what our region has to offer, or visit friends and family for a bargain price. We hope it will encourage more people to try the train and enjoy a great day out.^

The Winter Smiles tickets can be purchased on the day of travel from any staffed South West Trains station, or from ticket vending machines, from Monday 13th January online and from Friday 17th January for Ticket Vending Machines or ticket offices. Tickets can also be purchased in advance online at southwestrains.co.uk or by phoning 0845 6000 650.

A destination map can be found on the website http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/destination-guides.aspx

Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 14:58:08 »

From the SWT (South West Trains) website:
This Summer South West Trains are offering a ^15 day return ticket from Saturday 26 July until Friday 22 August 2014 (^7 for kids)!

Further details:
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/summer.aspx

Despite the age of this thread, I think we were consolidating all SWT offers here.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 15:04:39 »

As with the previous SWT (South West Trains) offers this is is not valid west of Salisbury. So Tisbury to Exeter and Warminster to Bristol are excluded. Isle of Wight is also excluded.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 15:30:43 »

Isle of Wight is also excluded.

I noticed that as well, despite the fact the T&Cs include Island Line Trains (and explicitly exclude the ferry part thus rendering it useless for travel to/from the island).

The most expensive fare on the island (excluding whatever Steam rovers might be about) is Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin return at ^5.60. I wonder if they would offer to sell you a ^15 "special" instead!
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 23:48:13 »

Previously it was only Feniton-Exeter which was excluded - you could still use it from Honiton eastwards. From what I've heard the last offer on Jan/Feb weekends was too well used i.e. many trains were overcrowded which wouldn't otherwise be, so presumably it's been restricted to manage demand.

Weymouth-Waterloo is a similar length to Axminster-Waterloo (143 v 144) miles so it's still valid for a lengthy route. I assume the superior capacity on that line helps soak up the occasional travellers (2 x 4/5 car trains per hour v 1 x 3/6 cars) although an 8 coach train I caught from Basingstoke to Clapham Junction on Saturday 25th Jan at around 1130 was standing room only that day at a time I doubt it normally would be.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 23:50:29 »

Despite the age of this thread, I think we were consolidating all SWT (South West Trains) offers here.

Indeed we were / are - thanks for posting here, Fourbee.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:11 »

Don't forget Weekend First is available with these tickets....
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:24 »

Also, standard tickets have the evening peak restrictions away from London inherited from First Class Off Peak Day Return.

I believe the intention of this is to allow travel in the morning shoulder peak (unlike the Super Off Peak Day Return) whilst still restricting return travel.

Quite a few caveats with this deal, but maybe better in some respects in that it can be used on weekdays as well, unlike the Rainbow promotion(s).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:16 »

Despite the age of this thread, I think we were consolidating all SWT (South West Trains) offers here.

Indeed we were / are - thanks for posting here, Fourbee.  Smiley

Could we possibly change the thread title then?  Perhaps "SWT short term special offers".

This latest offer, and some recent offers, have not actually been "Rainbow Days" as such, which were basically issued as day rangers based on named stations.

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 22:37:11 »

Thanks for the hint, Paul: I've now acted on your suggestion.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: