Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
10:53 Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads
10:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 11:44:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[53] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[23] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: South West Trains short term special offers  (Read 45257 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 21:59:34 »

Certainly no 9 cars in passenger service (usually). There is an early empty train down from Salisbury that consists of 9 cars however it does not reach EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) as 9 cars so you are correct!

Is that the one that enters service at Axminster, then splits at Honiton with 6 cars to Exeter and 3 heading back?  Are all 3 units available to the public from Axminster, or do they lock the back out of use?

You can see why they might not want to show off a 9 car train at Exeter, it might embarrass the other TOC (Train Operating Company) in the area...

Paul
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 15:21:02 »

Certainly no 9 cars in passenger service (usually). There is an early empty train down from Salisbury that consists of 9 cars however it does not reach EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) as 9 cars so you are correct!

Is that the one that enters service at Axminster, then splits at Honiton with 6 cars to Exeter and 3 heading back?  Are all 3 units available to the public from Axminster, or do they lock the back out of use?

You can see why they might not want to show off a 9 car train at Exeter, it might embarrass the other TOC (Train Operating Company) in the area...

Paul

Bit too early for me but at a guess only 3 cars would be unlocked at Axminster. Certainly all 9 would not be used to avoid having to move any bleary eyed passengers out at Honiton before they were carried back whence they had come. I did see a 12 car empty stock working once after some disruption between Exeter and Yeovil.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 16:23:01 »

There was one occasion, early last year (I can't remember when exactly), when the last train of the day from EXD to SAL was formed of 8 cars (2x159 and a 158). Why I don't know - I just happened to have been caught at the level crossing at Pinhoe at the time. 
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 16:31:08 »

As a matter of interest, how many coaches did the loco hauled trains through Axminster have, before they were replaced by 159s? I only caught it a few times but boarding by the ticket office it always used to 'feel' quite long, especially as the next time after the 159s took over the first train I caught was 3 car, and it suddenly 'felt' much shorter.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 17:04:06 »

As a matter of interest, how many coaches did the loco hauled trains through Axminster have, before they were replaced by 159s? I only caught it a few times but boarding by the ticket office it always used to 'feel' quite long, especially as the next time after the 159s took over the first train I caught was 3 car, and it suddenly 'felt' much shorter.

Standard formation was 8 Mark II coaches
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:41 »

The ^15 tickets are back soon http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/promotion.aspx#182317 they have to be bought the day before which has led to SWT (South West Trains) using the phrase "advance off-peak day return". I would have preferred anything other than the use of the word advance e.g. "You must buy your off peak day return at least the day before", despite being a mouthful. Promotion runs 21 January to 30 April.

There are various dates excluded and caveats as usual which are (attempted to be) explained on their website. The promotion is not available if they do not set the fare.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 21:03:58 »

I have just realised an error in my post above - tickets are available to purchase from tomorrow (21 January) for travel from 26 January.

You can't blame me for getting confused :-)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2016, 08:19:37 »

I have just realised an error in my post above - tickets are available to purchase from tomorrow (21 January) for travel from 26 January.

You can't blame me for getting confused :-)

It now says 'tickets are available to purchase from Saturday, 23rd January'

It is interesting to note that stations west of Salisbury are not specifically excluded, despite SWT (South West Trains) claiming on previous occasions that overcrowding would be an issue on these services.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:30 »

It is interesting to note that stations west of Salisbury are not specifically excluded, despite SWT (South West Trains) claiming on previous occasions that overcrowding would be an issue on these services.

That is my understanding of it as well, SWT price the via Honiton fares for Exeter and in the case of Bristol the via Warmster-Salsbry ones (Off-Peak Day Returns are available for all those which is required for this promotion, if an Off-Peak Return was needed 2 x ^15 fares could be bought).
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2016, 19:54:08 »

If the ticket stock is referring you to nationalrail.co.uk/** and that is drawing a blank I'd argue there are no restrictions.

However SWT (South West Trains) will likely refer you to the following:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Promotion-Terms-and-Conditions.aspx

But, if you buy at a station or via telesales, and are not advised of the restrictions at the time of purchase, then all you have to go on is what is printed on the ticket.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2016, 20:29:02 »

If the ticket stock is referring you to nationalrail.co.uk/** and that is drawing a blank I'd argue there are no restrictions.

However SWT (South West Trains) will likely refer you to the following:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/Promotion-Terms-and-Conditions.aspx

But, if you buy at a station or via telesales, and are not advised of the restrictions at the time of purchase, then all you have to go on is what is printed on the ticket.

Part of the T&Cs state
Ticket restrictions are in place when travelling between Monday - Friday. Travel is not permitted on trains:

Arriving into London Waterloo, Vauxhall, Queenstown Road or Clapham Junction before 1000.
    Departing from London Waterloo between 1600 and 1907.
    Departing from Vauxhall between 1600 and 1909
    Departing from Queenstown Road between 1608 and 1908
    Departing from Clapham Junction between 1603 and 1915.

Amongst the lot of purchases I made earlier today are returns from Pinhoe to Woking and Alton. Applying the above T&Cs to the letter suggests that I cannot board either the 16:20 or 18:20 WAT-EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) when either calls at Woking (at 16:46 and 18:46), yet, SWTs own Journey Planner offered me those services as part of the ^15 offer. Therefore, the pedant in me suggests that the T&Cs should state explicitly that they refer to when either boarding or alighting at these stations during the times specified.

Could a jobsworth TM(resolve) refuse to accept the tickets on those services when boarding at later calling points?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2016, 21:23:38 »

Could a jobsworth TM(resolve) refuse to accept the tickets on those services when boarding at later calling points?

Some elements of the ticket system are, I'm afraid, so complex that there are rumours of Jobsworths refusing to accept ticket on trains on which they are perfectly valid!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2016, 21:48:32 »

It refers to *you* departing from those stations, not the train service from start to finish
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2016, 22:44:27 »

Some elements of the ticket system are, I'm afraid, so complex that there are rumours of Jobsworths refusing to accept ticket on trains on which they are perfectly valid!

Some tickets have very simple to understand restrictions. Let me think... hmm... off the top of my head...

Restriction codes F3 and C4. Valid on any train Out and Return after 1000. Even a simple one like that is beyond the wit of some staff.

Tongue
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 22:52:52 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2016, 15:17:01 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) some of the previous promotions referred to restrictions normally associated with a 1st Class Off-Peak Day Return. The intention IMO (in my opinion) to allow earlier travel in the morning, but still retain the London-centric return restrictions associated with the Standard Class Super Off-Peak Day Return. Whilst not matching UM and UY, I believe UZ is similar (I obtained that from an Alton to London Terminals 1st Class Off-Peak Day Return):
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/UZ

At least 3 members of SWT (South West Trains) staff (including 1 guard) have demonstrated to me they do not have a comprehensive grasp of the Super Off-Peak Restrictions, IMO through ignorance rather than being spiteful. Although if you argue back some share many of the characteristics others have experienced of GWR (Great Western Railway) personnel.

I hope you have hassle-free journeys PhilW regardless of who you encounter en-route (it shouldn't come down to luck in an ideal world). My view is you can return from Woking at any time; for belt and braces a screenshot of the website offering those times would be adequate.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: