Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:00:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ^14.5 million cash boost for Worcester improvements  (Read 7850 times)
chuffed

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 14:47:42 »

Would appear no money for Shrub Hill ....or even the locked in signalmans loo !

I hope that some of this can be soared to provide a  bus link to Gloucester. There has been no direct service apart from the 2 hourly train link for over 40 years !
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 23:06:11 »

This sounds like good news but there doesn't seem to be a link and it's posted in the Swindon/Cheltenham board rather than the Cotswolds Line one - help me out here chuffed!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:43 »

See http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12018.0 for details. Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 21:19:46 »

Would appear no money for Shrub Hill ....or even the locked in signalmans loo !

I hope that some of this can be soared to provide a  bus link to Gloucester. There has been no direct service apart from the 2 hourly train link for over 40 years !
Up until about 2/3 years ago LM (London Midland - recent franchise) provided a service, although not strictly clockface, in between the FGW (First Great Western) trains.    It was 170 worked witrh the occasional 153 but only lasted a couple of years due, it was alleged, to light passenger loadings.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 21:29:21 »

London Midland retain one service between Birmingham New Street and Gloucester via Worcester Shrub Hill on Fridays only. 2300 BHM-GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) 0020. They'll tell you it is to retain route knowledge. I suspect though it's an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) raid, paying a better return than providing a two hourly service between Worcester and Gloucester.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 21:42:13 »

The problem was the service pattern, it was roughly hourly with the FGW (First Great Western) service in one direction but in the other direction the services pretty much followed each other.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:38 »

The problem was the service pattern, it was roughly hourly with the FGW (First Great Western) service in one direction but in the other direction the services pretty much followed each other.

I certainly agree one problem was that the timetable was clockface and that trains sometimes terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill rather than continuing to Worcester Foregate Street.

I think London Midland would have got more people on their services if trains had continued beyond Gloucester to either Swindon or Bristol Temple Meads. If they had done the latter then that may have allowed FGW to  free up a unit which could have been used elsewhere or to allow for a clockface hourly service between Bristol & Yeovil.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:17 »

I think London Midland would have got more people on their services if trains had continued beyond Gloucester to either Swindon or Bristol Temple Meads.

Gloucester to Swindon is 50 minutes, so that's one unit required for a two-hourly service.   The current local service on the Stroud Valley require 2 units, as the run time is just over an hour from Swindon to Cheltenham, and that results in a low utilisation and a unit parked up in Swindon most of the time.  The current Stroud Valley service can't simply be cut back to Gloucester as there would be a significant negative effect on the people of Cheltenham Spa's ability to reach London every hour, but with the train from Swindon carrying on north, there wouldn't have been that problem.

If they had done the latter then that may have allowed FGW (First Great Western) to  free up a unit which ...

Which would (a) have freed up the bay at Swindon most of the time and (b) allowed it to collect passenger fares rather that being parked up!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:30 »

London Midland retain one service between Birmingham New Street and Gloucester via Worcester Shrub Hill on Fridays only. 2300 BHM-GCR» (Gloucester - next trains) 0020. They'll tell you it is to retain route knowledge. I suspect though it's an ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) raid, paying a better return than providing a two hourly service between Worcester and Gloucester.
Running a journey at 23:00 won't yield much out of the ORCATS numbers.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:50 »

I don't think the time of day has any effect on ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) calculations.

London Midland get a share of the revenue on all the 'Any Permitted' flows between the stations where their service operates. That share is, I believe, based (amongst other factors) on the capacity of the rolling stock they use, the frequency of the service and the journey time.

It's perfectly possible that that income, when only operating one service, yields a better return than operating a two-hourly service.

A more frequent service requires more track access payments - one of the largest costs a TOC (Train Operating Company) has to pay.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 14:47:23 »

Its a pity there isn't enough time for the units which work the Cheltenham - Swindon shuttles to run to Westbury and back in between their  trips along the Golden Valley.

FGW (First Great Western) perhaps if their had the resources available and there was the demand there to justify it  fill in some of the two hour gaps off peak with an additional Cheltenham -London service that might release one of the golden valley units and give them enough time to run a few trips to Westbury and possibly down to Salisbury.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 15:33:38 »

I don't think the time of day has any effect on ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) calculations.

London Midland get a share of the revenue on all the 'Any Permitted' flows between the stations where their service operates. That share is, I believe, based (amongst other factors) on the capacity of the rolling stock they use, the frequency of the service and the journey time.

It's perfectly possible that that income, when only operating one service, yields a better return than operating a two-hourly service.

A more frequent service requires more track access payments - one of the largest costs a TOC (Train Operating Company) has to pay.
The calculations allow for the proportion of the total traffic that gets to be carried on each specific journey.

That proportion is dependent on the time-gap between the departure and the previous one, and on the demand at that time of day.

There's three time profiles involved - one for anytime tickets, another for seasons (concentrating on the peaks) and another for cheap day tickets (starting after the morning peak).

My point was that there won't be much of a demand profile at 23:00. That's probably true of all three profiles.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 19:52:44 »

I think London Midland would have got more people on their services if trains had continued beyond Gloucester to either Swindon or Bristol Temple Meads.

The current Stroud Valley service can't simply be cut back to Gloucester as there would be a significant negative effect on the people of Cheltenham Spa's ability to reach London every hour, but with the train from Swindon carrying on north, there wouldn't have been that problem.

Also us Swindonians who want to catch an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service going north would have an additional change with a further delay. We spend enough time hanging around on Cheltenham station as it is.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 20:05:05 »

Once the redoubling is complete, I wonder whether the additional flexibility will mean that timings can be tweaked to free up the second unit.

I doubt whether the turnaround at Cheltenham helps either with the need to shunt north, into the sidings and back out again. If a south facing bay were built on the start of the old Honeybourne formation* then it would ease the operating constraints for terminating trains and maybe enable more of them. I'd have thought an obvious improvement in due course would be two tph on the Stroud line, 1 IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to London and a local to Swindon. But I can't see how this could currently be fitted in at Cheltenham with a third service terminating from Cardiff.

* I know there's an industrial unit in the way, but I can't imagine the purchase cost would be extortionate.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 20:57:30 »

London Midland have no Track access rights on the Golden Valley.    To obtain them, it would take a lengthy and bureaucratc process through the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and DFT (Department for Transport)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: