15:55 Plymouth to Penzance
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 17:39:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[83] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[65] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Hind on a Friday evening....  (Read 32677 times)
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2013, 19:41:55 »

Once again, if the Gateline is set appropriately, none of the above is required.
...and the access from the footbridge at the country end where the gate line is (virtually) never in use?

Edit: Changed 'rear' to 'country end'
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:51:13 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 20:53:00 »

Seems to be in use in the evening peak in my experience, but apart from that it is very rare.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2013, 21:35:07 »

Woking is a full stop in both directions, there's only a few Weymouth services in the evening peak which are pick up only at Woking.

Bit pedantic of me, but the 1720 Exeter does not stop at Clapham and is pick-up only at Woking: accordingly it's advertised at Waterloo as first stop Basingstoke.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20:08 »

Woking is a full stop in both directions, there's only a few Weymouth services in the evening peak which are pick up only at Woking.

Bit pedantic of me, but the 1720 Exeter does not stop at Clapham and is pick-up only at Woking: accordingly it's advertised at Waterloo as first stop Basingstoke.

It's not pedantic but the point was already made in successive postings. 

See  last  Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 12:57:33 PM

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:40 »

Back to the original topic how did you get on Mookiemoo? Did I miss your post?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 13:04:53 »

The 17:50 however is non stop between WAT and BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage))... I've caught that train before Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
vacmanfan

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 15:52:36 »

Once again, if the Gateline is set appropriately, none of the above is required.
...and the access from the footbridge at the country end where the gate line is (virtually) never in use?

Edit: Changed 'rear' to 'country end'

And so if the Gateline is set properly, it will be in use...
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 23:09:00 »

And so if the Gateline is set properly, it will be in use...

I think what he means is the Gateline is near to always locked open............. I could say he's wrong... But I'd be lying Undecided Lips sealed Embarrassed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 16:56:36 »

Thanks all - had an enjoyable weekend.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 17:06:38 »

I gave a random example earlier - lets try a specific one... Lets be specific. 

Between 1745 and 1815 on platforms 1-6 at Paddington ^ all of which are either unbarriered or controlled by the same gates^you have the following scheduled departures.

Platform 5 1745 Swansea
Platform 1 1748 Cheltenham
Platform 2 1800 Bristol
Platform 4 1803 Golden Hind
Platform 3 1815 Swansea

Only one of them does not set down at Reading.  How can you properly control the barriers / gateline to stop reading passengers accessing the platform for the 1803?  The only way would be to put a person on every door to the train and stop anyone with a reading or oxford ticket from boarding the train at Paddington.

You couldn^t really implement it at Reading either unless you stopped people at the exit door of the train.  Lets say I was on the 1800, got off at Reading, stopped to spend a penny either figuratively or literally in one of the upper crust sorts^.then tried to depart the station just as the 1803 was letting out its passengers?

The ONLY way to stop it is a human ticket check on the doors of the 1803.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 17:09:58 »

Or on the train before it gets to Reading
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 17:12:12 »

Or on the train before it gets to Reading

I agree but that has been dismissed as impractical etc.

And I am pretty intrigued by vacmanfans insistence on programming the gateline correctly without indicating even in theoryhow it could be done.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 17:29:38 »

But it isn't just Reading, it is people changing at Reading too - which means a much wider range of destinations would need to be programmed into barriers if such a thing was possible.  Therefore I agree it has to be manual check on people as they board.  However, as has also been stated, I doubt it is a priority for FGW (First Great Western).
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 23:25:44 »

The attitude with pick up only stops in my experience seems mainly to be to discourage passengers for alighting and keeping the numbers doing so to a minimum, not a strict approach to enforcement. Set down only stops are often late night services with some slack built in, having all set down only stops allows early running.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 07:14:21 »

Set down only stops are often late night services with some slack built in, having all set down only stops allows early running.

That also helps when said services are replaced by buses. If there is no one on board wanting a station the replacement bus can legitimately miss it out and save time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: