Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:36:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[126] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[46] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead Commuting  (Read 15369 times)
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 13:33:18 »

Hello,

I'm thinking of moving to Maidenhead and am doing some research on season ticket options. I work shifts just near to Oxford Circus so I think that a saving can be made on the Maidenhead - Z1-6 season ticket which is currently ^3496.

Here is my plan - I want to check it's allowed!

I would buy a Z1-4 travelcard for ^1744 which would be valid as far as Southall from Paddington on the GWML (Great Western Main Line). If I buy this from Chiltern I believe this qualifies me for free weekend travel with them and a Gold Card?

Would I be correct in saying that in order to travel to London on a weekday during the Peak I would need to buy:
Anytime Day Single Maidenhead - Southall ^7.40
Off Peak Day Single with a Gold Card Maidenhead - Southall ^4.55 (although this wouldn't be valid on some fast Paddington - Maidenhead service in the evening?)

If I wanted to travel Off-Peak I would just need to purchase:
Off Peak Day Return Maidenehead - Southall with a Gold Card ^4.60

At weekends my plan would be to drive to Beaconsfield and use the free Chiltern Railway travel. Also if I'm on a really early or late shift (about once a week) then work pay for a cab either too or from work thus reducing the cost still further.

I know that Oxford Circus isn't that far from Paddington and I could walk, but I like the flexibility a travelcard gives me as I often travel around London to see friends ect after work.

Thanks in advance for your tips/advice!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 14:26:13 »

I think the Chiltern purchase needs to be valid for travel on their network in order to obtain free travel across the remainder of their network. The Gold Card is also obtainable when purchased from FGW (First Great Western)....
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 14:44:26 »

Yes, but it is perfectly legitimate to buy a Z1-4 Travelcard from Chiltern in this instance as Chiltern have three stations in zone 4. Zone 4 travel is also valid east of Southall, so no problem.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 14:49:11 »

You may find they sell them on an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card, which is valid on Chiltern within the zonal system. Is it valid on FGW (First Great Western) within the zones?
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 14:59:31 »

Of course, why wouldn't it be?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 15:13:37 »

Wasn't sure if all TOCs (Train Operating Company) now accept Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) out to zone 6....
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 15:15:12 »

They always accepted Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) travelcard seasons, it was the Pay As You Go that was the issue. Although even that is a redundant issue as all TOCs (Train Operating Company) now accept Oyster PAYG (Pay as you go).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 15:22:55 »

A Zone 1-4 Travelcard Season would be valid for travel on Chiltern. As the free weekend travel offer terms mention having the Season on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), it follows that a Season wholly for use in the Travelcard zones is eligible for the offer.

I see no problems with what autotank wishes to do. You can either purchase add-on tickets to/from Southall or Boundary Zone 4. Same price, same validity. No requirement to call when used in combination with a Season.

If you use an Off Peak Day Single in the BZ4/Southall - Maidenhead direction, in combination with the Travelcard Season, you are okay to use any train off Paddington in the evening. The restriction code in that direction for the ticket from BZ4/Southall is W1 (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/OffPeak.pdf#page=121), valid after 0930, no evening peak restrictions.

However, if you buy an Off Peak Day Return with origin Maidenhead to BZ4/Southall, the restriction code is the infamous P7 (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/OffPeak.pdf#page=86) and you cannot catch any trains on the 'barred' list. However, the only direct fast service, that calls at Maidenhead, on that list is the 1750 to Worcester SH. You'll also need to avoid the 1649 and 1851 to Oxford, changing at Slough.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 15:40:22 »

Indeed - so how much will this save you autotank?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 17:02:49 »

As a fellow Maidenhead commuter I've looked into this option before and I struggled to come up with any savings (assuming you are travelling 5 days a week normally?)

My maths was as follows:

Daily Maidenhead-->Southall return = ^7.40 + ^4.55 = ^11.95.
Multiplied by 200 (days of the year, allowing for a decent holiday quota!) = ^2390.

Plus the ^1744 for the Z1-4 travelcard = ^4134

You'd have to be only travelling in to London on 146 weekdays (2.8 per week) before this became a saving on the ^3496 season ticket, and thats before the hassle of queuing up every morning and evening to get a new ticket....

Well, that was my maths anyway.  Smiley

PS> an afterthought is that at least as a daily traveller you would qualify for 'proper' compensation everytime your train was delayed rather than the 5% shocker us season ticket travellers suffer.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 17:25:26 »

You haven't factored in the cost of regular free week-end travel anywhere on the Chiltern network, NicKB.

autotank will be allowed free weekend travel if a Travelcard Season is bought from Chiltern. Won't be allowed free weekend travel on Chiltern if a Maidenhead to Zones 1-6 Travelcard is purchased.

Free weekend travel on Chiltern is only available if the origin station is on the Chiltern network or in the Travelcard zones.

Whether the value of the free weekend travel is worth the ^640 difference, will depend on how often and to where autotank chooses to travel on the Chiltern Network.

There's also the point that autotank has said that some of his Maidenhead-London return trips will be wholly in the Off-Peak meaning the daily add-on fare will be ^4.60 rather than ^7.40+^4.55.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 17:40:16 »

Free weekend travel on Chiltern is only available if the origin station is on the Chiltern network or in the Travelcard zones.

Also, from Chiltern's website -
If your Season Ticket is on an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card you must also have your paper record card to travel free at weekends

So, keep it with your Oyster....could be expensive if you forget it!
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 20:44:42 »

Thanks for all your replies - very useful!

As I work shifts I only have to travel up to London during the morning peak once or twice a week maximum, so I think there are savings to be made doing it this way. The free travel on Chiltern at weekends would also be useful as I used to live in Leamington Spa and it makes a trip to the SVR or a spin on the Shakespeare Express much cheaper!

A couple more quick questions:

I'd prefer to get the Z1-4 travelcard on Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), but will this present me with issues at Paddington when using fast services from Platforms 2-5? Also if I touch in at Paddington does it matter that I won't touch out? (i.e. I won't get charged the Oyster maximum penatly fare)

Would I need proof of holding a Z1-4 travelcard other than an Oyster if I get gripped between Paddington and Maidenhead on an HST (High Speed Train)? (I assume Train Managers don't have Oyster readers?)

Thanks!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 21:13:47 »

If you can't touch in or out with an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card loaded with a season ticket it doesn't matter. There is no requirement for a journey using an Oyster Season to be 'complete' (i.e. touching in and touching out). As long as you are travelling within the zones for which your Oyster Season is valid, no credit will be deducted from any PAYG (Pay as you go) balance you might also have stored on the Oyster. Even if you touch in in Zone 1 (Paddington) and then travel to Maidenhead with the correct add-on paper ticket fare, you won't be penalised. The system assumes you've made a journey within the validity of your season ticket.

If you are travelling from a platform at Paddington without barriers/Oyster readers there is no need to touch in. In combination with your add-on fares you have tickets valid for your entire journey. Oyster is just a different medium on which the season ticket is held. As the combination is valid for the entire journey without the need to call at the split point then there's no need, or even practical opportunity, to touch out where the validity of your Oyster Season ends. Indeed, if you had a Boundary Zone 4-Maidenhead add-on, it would be impossible. Boundary Zones are an abstract construct, not physical locations.

It also matters not one jot whether on-board staff have the ability to check your Oyster. You have a valid ticket. Whether it can be checked on board or not is their problem, not yours. Although carrying the record card won't do any harm.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 23:05:08 »

I suspect they may be able to detain you with the assistance of RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) or the BTP (British Transport Police) until they can verify your Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) should you get an obstreperous TM(resolve)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: