DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 09:42:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] access for all at Devon stations report
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[38] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[24] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[16] Cornish delays
[15] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from ThirdRateWestern  (Read 15520 times)
miniman

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2007, 13:21:50 »

Hello all, I found this site via a trail of links leading from today's BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News article, via MoreTrainLessStrain. I'm another happy FGW (First Great Western) customer who is so happy with their service that I've started a blog of my own to chart the escalating chaos on my commute from Chippenham to Bristol.

www.thirdratewestern.com

Come and have a look - you could be the first to make a comment!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 13:25:50 »

You seem to be slagging the staff off rather a lot, when much of the chaos is not their fault.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 13:35:52 »

Agreed, the staff are doing what they get paid to do.

If you want to have a go at someone, have a go at management. It's not the baseline staffs fault.
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 13:39:57 »

I agree it's not entirely the fault of the staff on the ground, but some of them are horribly unhelpful and do daft things like sending trains out when they know full well holding them for 30 seconds would allow passengers from another heavily delayed service to get to where they are going. But fair point, I might tidy up my ranting a little Smiley
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 13:42:37 »

Wouldnt you be annoyed if you had people going on at you constantly when its not your fault? I know i would be. This is why i quit my last job.

A tidy up is needed Tongue. If i was being ranted at daily by commuters i'd just go and quit, then watch fgw get into more of a mess... (i'm suprised quite a lot of staff havnt done this already)

Also iirc the despatch staff have no choice but to send them out on time? as even a slight delay can mess up any train service, e.g, points reset to let another train out so something like a 158 gets stuck behind a freight and messes up most of the service
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 13:44:14 by Shazz » Logged
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 13:42:58 »

I agree it's not entirely the fault of the staff on the ground, but some of them are horribly unhelpful and do daft things like sending trains out when they know full well holding them for 30 seconds would allow passengers from another heavily delayed service to get to where they are going. But fair point, I might tidy up my ranting a little Smiley

As I understand it, its not the TM(resolve) that controls whether a train can be held or not - but of the signallers.

And I would have thought if the signal is given and the TM said - I'll just hand about for a bit - there might be some grief to follow

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 13:48:50 »

Hello all, I found this site via a trail of links leading from today's BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) News article, via MoreTrainLessStrain. I'm another happy FGW (First Great Western) customer who is so happy with their service that I've started a blog of my own to chart the escalating chaos on my commute from Chippenham to Bristol.

www.thirdratewestern.com

Come and have a look - you could be the first to make a comment!
My comment-TO**ER!
miniman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 14:16:27 »

My comment-TO**ER!
Can't beat a thorougly reasoned debate...
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 14:34:16 »

Welcome to blogging.  I look forward to reading what you have to say.  Please don't be put off by teh insults from others. 

miniman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 14:39:15 »

Welcome to blogging.  I look forward to reading what you have to say.  Please don't be put off by teh insults from others. 
Thank you Tim. I have taken on board the comments and had a bit of a clean up on my comments which did, to be fair, attack the FGW (First Great Western) staff rather than the management who are obviously leading the ongoing charge towards bedlam.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 15:19:30 »

As I understand it, its not the TM(resolve) that controls whether a train can be held or not - but of the signallers.

And I would have thought if the signal is given and the TM said - I'll just hand about for a bit - there might be some grief to follow

This kind of discussion about the internal workings work (or don't) is something that I personally find very interesting - it is the reason I read this forum and I wouldn't want this comment to be construed as a discoragment of such discussion .  But I think that we all need to remember that the ordinary travelling public don't understand this or care about it nor should they have to.  FGW (First Great Western) gets the blame for everything because it is their logo on the trains.  The staff get the complaints because they are there on the platform.  This is the way of the world and we can't change it.  If you can't stand the heat don't bid for the franchise or apply for a customer facing job.  As long as complaints are not threating or personal or agressive, I don't think that we can critise customers for having a go at staff.  If this leads to low staff morale and people quitting then the answer is for FGW to support their staff better.

It disapoints me when I read comments like "we can't go back to the old system of short platform working because once SDO (Selective Door Opening) has been used the grandfather rights are lost" Not because such comments are anything but true but because they reveal a lack of imagination.   The rules on grandfather rights are just that, human rules that can and sometimes should be changed.  As a customer I do not think that it is unreasonable for the company to whome I pay my fares to be motivated to change damaging rules, bang heads together at NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s underperformance and kick up a politial stink where necessary.   

You must remember that FGW chose the slogan "transforming travel", that they have trumpted their investment and promises of improvements from the rooftops.   They have in part fuelled rising expectations of their passengers as have higher fares.  When things are not better - when you can no longer buy your ticket on the train but have to arrive earlier and use the barriers, when you can no longer get a seat, when you pay twice what you did for the same journey 10 years ago despite an extra 10 minutes padding being added to the timetable and the buffet car removed. - the ordinary passenger is entitled to blame FGW even if not all the problems are their fault. 

Just look at the explanations for the failures that you see on this forum.  problems are blamed on the "national shortage of stock", the franchising system, performance targets and H&S (Health and Safety).  All of the excuses are human inventions that can be changed if there is the will to do so.   Customers very rarely complain about problems which are truely insurmountable.  You never get complaints that there isn't a Weston SM to Lahor train.

I would make teh follwoing comments to FGW staff.

1, To the people on the ground - Remember that the customer is always right.  even when they are wrong.  They are paying their fare and you are paid a wage to make their journey as good as possible and to listen to any complaints and to pass them up teh management chain.  That is the deal allparties signed up to.  Your efforts are appreciated by many people - thank you. 

2, To the people in their offices - just think what Brunel would have done.  He would have made things happen rather than spending his time compiling delay statistics or tinkering with seat layouts.  GWR (Great Western Railway) regauged the whole of the mainline in a single weekend's engineering work, you have been running rail replacement buses in the evenings from Swindon to BAth for 5 years with no end in sight.  You need to aim much much higher.  FG is about to be listed on the FTSE100.  You work for a big powerful company that would really deliver for both passengers and shareholders if you aimed to do things differently.  If NR are not up to stratch then why aren't you lobbying to take over the tracks?  If you are installing ticket gates then why are you still allowing your suppliers to sell tickets on a website with your trademark on it which don't fit through the new gates and blaming decisions made by BR (British Rail(ways)) 15 years ago for this?

I have absolutely no respect for FGW as a company and will continue to view any "knocking shop" website as less than they deserve until they start living up to their slogan "transforming travel"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 15:42:35 »

My comment-TO**ER!
Can't beat a thorougly reasoned debate...
Should have made myself known, I work for FGW (First Great Western) and regularly get abuse from passengers who think that it's "my fault" that the trains overcrowded and have even been assaulted by the same idiots, as for Tim's comments about "the customer is always right", well someone who refuses to pay their fare in a fare strike is not a customer because they have not paid for the service which they are using, when I applied for my "customer facing job" I worked for Wessex Trains and I DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) NOT GET A CHOICE IN FG WINNING THE FRANCHISE OR THE ASSOSCIATED COCK UPS! Most staff totally agree with most passengers and whatever the circumstances WE DO NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED DI*KS or any of the other names used in minimans blog, And for all of FGW failings they have always backed me whenever a passenger has been abusive. There are numerous members of staff off sick at the moment because of stress which has been induced by aggressive passengers which in turn has meant that turns can't be covered and trains cancelled. At the end of the day FGW aren't great but a lot is down to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the DFT (Department for Transport) and what can FGW really do about it? I'm sure if there was anything they could do then they would because I bet they don't like the cancellations, short formations and engineering overruns any more than we or you do!
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 15:46:47 »

Everyone, just think for a moment:

When your on a full and standing train - do you think the staff like it either?
When you miss your connection - do you think the staff had a say?
When your train is cancelled - do you think the station staff had a say?
When you encounter friendly staff - do you ever compliment FGW (First Great Western) on the blogs?

Answer to all these is:

NO

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 15:49:29 »

I work in retail, (BWS manager) and believe me that "customer is always right" is a f*****g joke.

because they think they're always right, if we say they're not, they get all uptight. I've even been assaulted (physically, not verbally) by a customer who thought they were right no matter what...

Staff get abuse, and therefore quit and go elsewhere. close to 90% of the staff at my old store quit when they just started getting constantly abused by customers  during a refit.

As a result, in my eyes and the people i work with eyes, the customer is Wrong, until they can prove they're right.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 15:53:03 »

When you encounter friendly staff - do you ever compliment FGW (First Great Western) on the blogs?

You will find examples of compliments for FGW staff on this forum.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: