06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Short Run
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:08:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MP calls for cut in first class  (Read 8625 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 05, 2013, 13:23:41 »

Bristol MP (Member of Parliament) Kerry McCarthy: ^Cut first class to make space on trains^

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-MP-Kerry-McCarthy-8220-Cut-class-make/story-18324602-detail/story.html#axzz2MfgKwk5s

Ms McCarthy said Bristol rail passengers had to put up with overcrowded trains on a daily basis while first class coaches were often empty.
^I regularly see passengers who have paid for a seat are being forced to stand or sit on the floor by the toilets, while first class carriages remain empty,^ she said.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 13:55:01 »

Less 1st Class accommodation could possibly mean less revenue from 1st Class fares. Ms McCarthy should take a look at 1st Class off Paddington in the evening weekday peak - very often at or near capacity. If there's less 1st Class revenue then the shortfall may need to be picked up elsewhere.

Also, whilst it may be a little further to walk she should take a look in coaches A and B. There may be the appearance of overcrowding in the middle of the train, but the reality is often that there are dozens of empty seats in A and B.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 15:02:34 »

Well let's just remember that those passengers have not paid 'for a seat' and are not 'being forced' to stand or sit by the toilet, in fact the only type of ticket that dictated that they had to travel on that train would be an advance which would come with a seat reservation.

I often find, even on a four car Voyager that people are simply unwilling to walk through the coaches and look for an available seat. The trouble is, at the next station people will see passengers standing in the vestibules, and assume there are no seats left and join the encampment, causing further delays at the next station as those who did have seats struggle to get past the mob and off the train. You are also almost guaranteed to see Mr Jones' jacket and Miss Smith's handbag having a perfectly comfortable ride on the seat next to them as they are too ignorant to move them no matter how crowded the train is and other passengers are too timid to ask them. The glares I get when asking people to move belongings to the appropriate areas is more like what you'd expect if I'd asked them to flush them down the loo.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 15:39:34 »

Kerry McCarthy (Bristol East) (Lab): Passengers in the Bristol area are desperate to see an improvement to services on the Great Western line, particularly with regard to the issue of overcrowding. If people have paid for a seat, they should not expect to have to stand on an almost daily basis. Can the Minister assure me that the issue of capacity will be addressed in the franchise negotiations, and that there will be extra rolling stock on the line?

Mr Burns: Yes, I would like to give some assurance to the hon. Lady. When franchises come up for the next stage of the process, we want to ensure that all passenger requirements, as well as the ability of companies to provide a first-class service to passengers, are considered fully.

From Hansard via ChrisB's post of a few minutes ago.  My highlighting ... well - those are the words they said!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 16:55:46 »

He's only miffed cause he cannot claim First Class on expenses  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 22:39:13 »

During the course of the franchise many HSTs (High Speed Train) have already had their first class seating cut by around 20%, with said units now running with the best part of an additional standard carriage.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:27:25 »

Whenever I see an HST (High Speed Train) with a missing FC(resolve) carriage the remaining FC accommodation always looks pretty cosy.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 18:25:08 »

I can see both sides of the argument.

But I will agree that some First Class Fares are unrealistically priced. For example a day return:

First Off Peak Return - Bath Spa - Bristol Temple Meads: ^15.75* (Approx - 13 Minutes - Approx 12 Miles)
First Off Peak Return - Penzance - Plymouth: ^34.00* (Approx - 2 Hours - Approx 80 Miles)

*No FCR between Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads. FCR Between Plymouth and Penzance is ^24.50

Perhaps a small reduction in some First Class fares might convince some Standard Class Passengers to upgrade to First Class thus freeing up some of these 'empty' carriages. But I agree with the other comments on First Class in the Peaks from and into Paddington. Can often be more than a bit cosy...! Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: