07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
06:04 Basingstoke to Reading
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[94] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[82] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[79] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[66] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[43] Europeran Rail Timetable
[42] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Bristol Greyhound' bus service returns as Pier Buses  (Read 54623 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2013, 14:28:51 »

Hmm.  According to the Bristol Post's own profile, all of their staff are based in Bristol, on Temple Way - which is but a stone's throw from the Reckless Engineer.   Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2013, 16:25:08 »

The Post is printed in Didcot I think, but there are journalists in Bristol. 

As for the buses, I still them empty when I pass them in the middle of the day.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2013, 16:49:28 »

The fact of the matter remains, the correct name of the pub is actually shown in the picture illustrating their article.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2013, 17:58:46 »

Had the Post been around in the days of William Tell, I reckon they would have reported "Woman Shoots Orange off Daughter's Head with Longbow - local man unhurt".

I was once interviewed by their ace reporter, following a fire in some lock-up garages close to my home that had got the fire brigade worried. "What advice did the firemen give you?" I was asked. "Stay indoors and keep the windows shut", I replied. "What did you do?" came the next question from our Pullitzer-prize hopeful. "I stayed indoors and kept the windows shut", I replied, biting my tongue before I added "Stupid" at the end. The photographer asked me to look angrier than I can manage, then they spelled both my name and the name of the road wrongly in the article.

So although the name of the pub is a classic howler, it comes as little surprise at FTN Towers.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2013, 19:16:42 »

Rather unusual for a journalist to get the name of a pub wrong!  Roll Eyes
As a journalist I resent that... no actually I don't - you're right!

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2013, 19:25:57 »

The two journalists I know are practically teetotal, which is a disappointment to all lovers of stereotyping.

Now, please!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2013, 22:21:59 »

Do we not all remember dear old Lunchtime O'Booze (a Willy Rushton favourite character in Private Eye)?

As a Bristolian (exiled) of course I read the BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) on the net.  In fairness, if you are not local but resident (if you get me) you will never really have a feel for the place as a local has, so I forgive all journalists especially if they are pretty.

I wish the new bus service all the best and I am sure we all do here.  I loved the typo in a posting we received 'are buses' -now that was real Bristolian.  Grin   
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2013, 22:30:44 »

Do we not all remember dear old Lunchtime O'Booze (a Willy Rushton favourite character in Private Eye)?

Author of the Falklands' War memoir "I counted them all out, but I was slaughtered when they came back again"?

For a short while, I am ashamed to admit, a sobriquet applied to myself. Seldom done these days, by which I mean I have not nipped out from work for a liquid lunch in over a year. I seem to get more work done now.

Now, please!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2013, 23:03:47 »

Bristol Greyhound RIP: long live Pier Buses.

Today the props of Bristol Greyhound told me at the Bristol Harbourside Bus Rally that they have been forced to trade under a new name after a legal challenge from First over the 'Greyhound' name.  I saw that their vehicles, very smartly turned out in their green/cream livery have been re-labelled  'trading as Pier Buses' and all their publicity has been reprinted.  It is a pity a fledgling company faces such a challenge after beginning to trade when it has been planning (with some public knowledge) for a while.  Their legal name remains the same.

The other positive news from my point of view is that they will be accepting the Avon Rider ticket from early in May (perhaps an official announcement will appear here).  This integrates Pier Buses into the wider network and gives people like me without a pass much more choice.  Let's hope there are are no more set-backs and more pax.

(I have no connection with the company)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2013, 23:28:03 »

This was a concern the management at South Wales Transport (Neath) had when they 1st started the company up and chose the livery they are using.

Its a shame really  as I would have loved to see the old SWT (South West Trains) back on buses in swansea and Neath.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2013, 23:05:52 »

It is a pity a fledgling company faces such a challenge after beginning to trade when it has been planning (with some public knowledge) for a while.

Posting personally, I agree that it does seem rather ... well, spiteful of First to act thus.

(I, too, have no connection with the company)

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2013, 09:22:52 »

Today the props of Bristol Greyhound told me at the Bristol Harbourside Bus Rally that they have been forced to trade under a new name after a legal challenge from First over the 'Greyhound' name.

Surprised to find myself defending First group, but I think it's entirely reasonable to defend a brand if you own it.

Some years ago when Volkswagen bought a car factory in Crewe from Vickers plc, they had to stop using the 'Rolls-Royce' marque because that was owned by another company (spookily, that company was called - er - Rolls-Royce plc). The Crewe factory 's products are now badged as 'Bentleys'. Meanwhile, Rolls-Royce plc have licenced the name 'Rolls-Royce' to BMW - for ^40 million. So brands have a value, even if you don't choose to use them yourself.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 09:53:38 »

I think the issue is not the challenge as such, but the timing.  Bristol Greyhound claim that First had known many months earlier that they were planning to use the name, but waited until after they started operating to make the challenge.  I agree that a brand is valuable, which is why First is using the plain 'Greyhound' for a coach operation, because it is a reminder of the great US and Canadian brand (which they now own, I believe) with all its cultural significance.

I suspect the decision to run the Swansea - Bristol Airport Greyhound service was made after Bristol Greyhound was set up and there was a bit of a 'panic' at First.

The use of 'heritage' names for any company is frought, as they seem to pass to corporations and be held solely for the purpose of stopping competition, which is just business, I guess.  I still find it amusing to see the great North West/North Wales bus brand of Crosville running around Weston-super-Mare - it seems incongruous to someone who remembers the original.

The 'Great Western' brand is of course much sought after as an indicator of high quality and historical pedigree.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2013, 17:52:44 »

I reluctantly agree with First, although they could have said so before Bristol Greyhound had spent time, effort, and money on promoting their service. That makes it look a bit dog-in-a-manger (greyhound, obviously). But the history of brand names shows how things are never simple.
The biggest ever lawsuit involving branding was between Apple Computer and Apple Corps, the Beatles company. The fab four had agreed that Apple could use the name for computers, but not for anything to do with music. At the time, this was not a problem, but by the mid-1980s, Apple Computer were well known, and their computers had musical capabilities. Apple Corps sued, and the whole business, which started in 1978, dragged on until 2010. Unlikely though it may seem just now, Bristol Greyhound could one day become as big as First, who would regret letting them use the brand name. If the Apple v Apple case is anything to go by, that could save them 32 years of litigation just by saying no now.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 20:24:59 »

In view of recent developments, as discussed above, I have now renamed this topic.  Lips sealed

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: