19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
07:52 London Paddington to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 10:07:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Train on Fire at PAD?  (Read 11728 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:43 »

Just a word on how the automatic fire bottles operate:

They are for the engines only and do not operate when there is a saloon fire - manually operated extinguishers have to do the job then.  A heat detecting circuit runs round the engine and when it detects abnormal heat then the fire alarm sounds in the drivers cab and when the speed of the train is reduced to less than 6mph the automatic extinguisher activates.  If there is an engine fire and that doesn't put it out, then there's a separate extinguisher which can be operated by a pull handle manually.  The driver is aware which engine is affected by that carriages 'cant rail' light being lit.

So, if there wasn't a fire it must have been a defect with this heat detecting circuit.  They have been known to set the extinguishers off at very low temperatures (explain that one if you can!), but it's unusual (though not unheard of) for them to go off under normal running conditions.  Ironically when the extinguisher contacts the hot engine there's a hell of a lot of steam which actually makes it look as if there is an engine fire, even if there isn't! 

I only briefly saw and commented on this topic earlier yesterday. I'd forgotten all about it until getting back online  today. But it was obviously there in my subconscious because I took this photo at Bristol Temple Meads last evening:

Thanks to II's explanation I now know what these bottles are for and how they are activated, but they do rather look like three mini ICBMs* ready for launch....

*Intercontinental Ballistic Missile. No.... I won't be adding the abbreviation to the list.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:54:58 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:59 »

In circumstances like these, rather than immediately bring the train to a stand, possibly in the middle of nowhere / very difficult to reach - shouldn't consideration be given to allowing the train to coninue to next station - maybe only when location is close to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) as the stations aren't far apart & evacuation would be simple.

With train fires the best place to stop is ASAP, hopefully the Driver would use Judgement and avoid Stopping in/on

Tunnels, (worse possible place to have a fire), fill with smoke and Tunnels act as Chimneys.

Viaducts, causes Access problems for Emergency services, plus often very windy,

Stopping at a Station may seem a good Idea, is it? a fire can get out of control and why let fire take out a Train and Station canopy and buildings!

The best place to stop a train has to be near a Road access point
Level crossings come top for once.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) A train caught fire in the USA, the crew asked for permission to move the train whilst still a small fire.
Control said NO leave it, so the burning wagon(s) took out the wooden viaduct they were standing ON.  Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 17:01:35 »

A couple of examples of how nasty train fires in tunnels can get: these involved goods trains carrying flammable/hazardous goods, but very fortunately there were no serious injuries in either case. However both incidents caused huge disruption:

Summit Tunnel, UK (United Kingdom), Dec 1984
Howard Street Tunnel, Baltimore, USA, Jul 2001
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 19:11:47 »

A couple of examples of how nasty train fires in tunnels can get: these involved goods trains carrying flammable/hazardous goods, but very fortunately there were no serious injuries in either case. However both incidents caused huge disruption:

I was working for one of the local authorities concerned at the time of the Summit Tunnel Fire.  Indeed it was very nasty. Disruption was not only to rail users.  Some people had to be evacuated from their houses and a major transpennine road was closed for some days. There was also a significant water pollution incident. I was also very late home from work.

Very fortunate no injuries.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 20:43:34 »

I am working on the Thameslink Program new piece of infrastructure called Canal Tunnels, these tunnels link St Pancras low level to the ECML (East Coast Main Line) at Belle Isle (that's between Gas Works and Copenhagen Tunnels just under where HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) bridge crosses the ECML the Tunnels were bore when St Panc low level was constructed.

Part of the project work is the fire evacuation procedure working with the London Fire Brigade, the fire brigade accept that fires on trains are a very rare occurrence.   Generally the best place for a train on fire to stop if its carrying passengers is at a station in an open part of the platform that is don't stop under a canopy, over bridge or even over a subway, the best advice for passengers is to move out of the vehicle that is on fire into an adjacent one evacuating passengers out onto an open railway is extremely dangerous as the fire on the 8 Sept 1995 on board the 18:30 Padd to Swansea demonstrated where a male passenger was struck by a train on the UM  http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=401

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 21:06:21 »

... the best advice for passengers is to move out of the vehicle that is on fire into an adjacent one evacuating passengers out onto an open railway is extremely dangerous as the fire on the 8 Sept 1995 on board the 18:30 Padd to Swansea demonstrated where a male passenger was struck by a train on the UM  http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=401

I got on that train, realised I would never get a seat before Reading and decided to wait for the next. Another night I got home very late (actually early the next morning) from work!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: