Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter St Davids
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 23:39:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[96] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[82] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[81] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[53] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Milford Haven prepares to celebrate 150 years of trains  (Read 6697 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:21:42 »

Milford Haven is on track to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the railway there ...

John Gale, from Hubberston, said "We are lucky today to have an excellent train service from Milford, but it is important to remember those who promoted the building of the line back in 1863."

In earlier days, Milford Haven was an outpost of the Great Western Railway - although these days it's server by the Wales, rather than the Great Western, franchise.  There are 11 departures a day (Monday to Friday numbers), with direct services to Swansea, Cardiff, and even Shrewsbury, Crewe and Manchester. With a population of around 13,000 people, Milford Haven is broadly comparable is size with Tavistock, Avonmouth and Minehead.   It has a significantly lower population than towns such as Falmouth, Melksham, Portishead and Newquay.

See http://www.milfordmercury.co.uk/news/10262976._/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:56 »

I will have to visit Milford Haven sometime.

I would like to see the daily Carmarthen - London service extended to run to/from Milford Haven like it used to at one time.

There is talk that Milford Haven could soon be seeing regular Bio-mass trains so I think the branch will need to be upgraded including perhaps doubling the junction at Claberston Road
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:55:18 »

I would like to see the daily Carmarthen - London service extended to run to/from Milford Haven like it used to at one time.

So your suggesting:
06:30 from Milford Haven, for 07:30 off Carmarthen, 11:33 Paddington
17:15 off Paddington, 21:30 off Carmarthen and 22:15 into Milford Haven?

Not sure how much extra traffic that would generate over / would it relieve overcrowding on current services:
06:00 from Milford Haven which connects through to 11:07 at Paddington
17:45 (Paddington) which connects through to 22:43

An extra 4 hours running for an HST (High Speed Train) each day.  Single line issues / Network Rail availabiity / Platform length ... ??  I can think of other more rewarding (I believe) use of 32 carriage hours per day - but if Milford Haven / Haverfordwest councils have a significant business case, perhaps the train just happens to be in the right place at the right time to do it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 13:01:31 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 14:47:42 »

I suspect the existing Carmarthen service will do well to survive IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), as would mean positioning a bi-mode set at Swansea on what would otherwise be a completely electric only service from South Wales to London. A possible unfortunate consequence of the wires being continued to Swansea.

Given there's a good through service from West Wales as far as Newport, with reasonable quality of stock, the only passengers benefitting from the HST (High Speed Train) are those from west of Llanelli travelling into England. I doubt that will be a large number each day. Though politically there may be a bit of a fuss if the connection is lost.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 17:32:04 »

The orignal line from Haverford West was to Neyland and was a Brunel line opened in 1856 and was intended to be the port for Ireland but superceded by Fishguard. So Haverford West is already 150 years old

Neyland engines were always a rare cop at Slough.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 19:59:19 »

Historically, there have always been services from Milford Haven to Manchester.  Locally, the long-closed  Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line was known as the "M & M".  That's because the intention had been to drive the line over the Teifi watershed to Llangurig and then to Llanidloes and towards Moat Lane Junction, joining the Cambrian Line towards Shrewsbury and then on to Manchester.

For cost/engineering reasons, there was a change of plan and the line turned north at Strata Florida Station and went to Aberystwyth instead.

Here's a weblink with some nice little 1960s video clips annexed.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 21:42:59 »

weblink does not work
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 22:27:34 »

There was an HST (High Speed Train) worked Milford Haven to Paddington in the 80s and 90s and at one time a Sleeper service to and from Paddington.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 23:05:32 »

Sorry, here's the weblink.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 22:55:13 »

So your suggesting:
06:30 from Milford Haven, for 07:30 off Carmarthen, 11:33 Paddington
17:15 off Paddington, 21:30 off Carmarthen and 22:15 into Milford Haven?

Not sure how much extra traffic that would generate over / would it relieve overcrowding on current services:
06:00 from Milford Haven which connects through to 11:07 at Paddington
17:45 (Paddington) which connects through to 22:43

An extra 4 hours running for an HST (High Speed Train) each day.  Single line issues / Network Rail availabiity / Platform length ... ??  I can think of other more rewarding (I believe) use of 32 carriage hours per day - but if Milford Haven / Haverfordwest councils have a significant business case, perhaps the train just happens to be in the right place at the right time to do it.
The 07:30 off Carmarthen looks to me to be very usefully timed if you start work in Swansea at 9am or have a meeting to attend in Cardiff at 10am (not that I do either of those things, so I may be wrong). However, the evening service doesn't seem to be usefully timed. Personally, I'd much rather see through services from Carmarthen and Pembrokeshire to Paddington ditched than have Hitachi (or anyone) build bi-mode IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.), but at least a 6-coach long LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) train from Pembs/Carmarthen to Swansea/Cardiff(or Bristol might be useful) would probably be needed to cover for the loss of the capacity provided by the IC125. Regardless, going via Swansea is too slow a way to get from Carmarthen to Cardiff really, it is the capacity that is useful more than the fact it goes to London I would guess.

I suspect the existing Carmarthen service will do well to survive IEP, as would mean positioning a bi-mode set at Swansea on what would otherwise be a completely electric only service from South Wales to London. A possible unfortunate consequence of the wires being continued to Swansea.

Given there's a good through service from West Wales as far as Newport, with reasonable quality of stock, the only passengers benefitting from the HST are those from west of Llanelli travelling into England. I doubt that will be a large number each day. Though politically there may be a bit of a fuss if the connection is lost.
The documents published for the aborted/delayed GWML (Great Western Main Line) franchise competition show the Paddington - Carmarthen service as a service commitment. If I've done my estimates right, the number of 9-car psudo-electric IEP diagrams ordered is not sufficent to run all Bristol, Oxford, Cardiff and Swansea services anyway. If the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) plans go ahead as they seem to be laid out, there'll be several 5-car bi-mode diagrams entirely under the brand-new wires.

Interestingly, the same document that shows the Paddington-Carmarthen service is a contractual commitment also maintains a commitment for the Pembroke Dock - Paddington summer services (which cannot be worked by IEP as the line beyond Carmarthen is not included on the plans for IEP guage clearance).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: