29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 20:50:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[125] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[88] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[46] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chippenham Sunday Services  (Read 3860 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2007, 19:35:15 »

Heres one for you.

I'd say that Chippenham station would qualify as one of the stations in the UK (United Kingdom) that suffers the most from having it's Sunday services replaced by buses more often than not.

It now seems that if the line is closed between Bristol-Bath, Bath-Chippenham or Chippenham-Swindon, if you are heading in the London direction you will bused to Swindon.

What we are seeing from TOCs (Train Operating Company) now is rather than use alternative routes and timetables, as soon as there is engineering work planned for any part of the line, out come the buses which I imagine are either paid for by Network Rail or the rail company who operates on the lines where work is taking place gets compensation. So why would you bother running trains when its probably cheaper to hire a bus?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 19:58:58 »

Unfortunately for Chippenham there are two good routes for Bristol trains to get to London which bypass the town. So any one of bit work between Temple Meads and Reading can be easily avoided but will always result in Chippenham losing its service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:49:03 »

Difficult one to measure .... but certainly Chippenham has a history of having (at least some) of its trains replaced by buses on the MAJORITY of weekends.   In one recent year, there were "bustitions" on over 60% of weekends on the "via Westbury" services from there - and that's not even thinking about weekends when there were engineering works on the section via Corsham / Box ... nor weekends when the TransWilts was running to Swindon but services onward to Didcot were diverted.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:13:53 »

Slightly off topic I know, but the last two evening services out of London to Both Chippenham and Bath have been replaced by buses from Swindon for about the last 5 years on most nights of teh week.  I realise that engineering work is neccessary but this has been going on for 5 years.  Surely whatever NR» (Network Rail - home page) are doing ought to have been completed by now.  Does anyone know when the bus replacements will end.

I suspect that they have become a habbit.  NR assumes that they will have an extra three hours every eveneing and FGW (First Great Western) probably finds i cheaper to hire a couple of coaches than to run the trains.  Using coaches also allows it to close teh stations early
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:03:42 »

Slightly off topic I know, but the last two evening services out of London to Both Chippenham and Bath have been replaced by buses from Swindon for about the last 5 years on most nights of teh week.  I realise that engineering work is neccessary but this has been going on for 5 years.  Surely whatever NR» (Network Rail - home page) are doing ought to have been completed by now.  Does anyone know when the bus replacements will end.

I suspect that they have become a habbit.  NR assumes that they will have an extra three hours every eveneing and FGW (First Great Western) probably finds i cheaper to hire a couple of coaches than to run the trains.  Using coaches also allows it to close teh stations early

The bus connection to Chippenham and Bath out of the last two weekday Paddington to Bristol services has always been a frequent feature of the service in the 18 years I have been using these trains. I use them probably twice a month, and  I experience the bus substitution on perhaps one occasion in five.  I assume that it makes way for routine maintenance engineering work rather than any specific renewals or improvements. My usual strategy is to check in advance whether it's going to be a through train to Bath, and if not, do a car positioning move to Swindon in the morning.

I don't think there is any financial benefit to FGW in running coaches, since they still have to run the trains through to Bristol on the route via Parkway.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:50:40 »

...and the route via parkway is usually having engineering done on it this time of the year as well.

So its bustitituion from parkway > swindon
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 17:31:47 »

only 5 years? Its been going on for well over ten years now its become legendry that one week every month the last two Bristol trains out of Paddington are diverted after Swindon making it a very long trip home if you have to travel on these trains.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: