Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 01:27:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New service, extended life stock?  (Read 6782 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 13, 2013, 06:56:45 »

Hopefully in five or so years time that same vantage point will afford the view of a shiny Class 165 Turbo passing underneath the bridge...

And in 15-20 years time we might see some overheard wiring and  a class 317/321 emu

... which will be of the order or 50 years old by then.   I'm personally in favour of using trains for their full economic life, and extending with refurbs as appropriate, but I'm not sure if the introduction of 50 year old units would meet the aspirations of the good people of Portishead.

Yet having raised that issue, I would be delighted to see 3 or 4 "A" or "C" stock units, with Class 33 push-pull power returned to main line condition, running an hourly TransWilts service from Swindon via Westbury from December 2013 for the next 10 years Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:00 »

Yet having raised that issue, I would be delighted to see 3 or 4 "A" or "C" stock units, with Class 33 push-pull power returned to main line condition, running an hourly TransWilts service from Swindon via Westbury from December 2013 for the next 10 years Wink

A very intersting idea probably cheaper than the 148 option.

However A stock is 50 years old so I would possibly buy new.

Now the 73s are being re-engined up to 1500 hp it shows that an ED of say 4000hp on electric 25KV O/H and up to 2500hp (HST (High Speed Train) MTU (Motor Traction Unit)) should be possible. With some new articulated 4 car TC(resolve) sets (120 tons) you would have go anywhere, avoid the engine change, train. It should  be capable 100 mph + on electric mainlines and 90 on diesel. An 873?

Now it seems likely that all lines West thereof and including  Basingstoke Southampton (Weymouth?) will be O/H electrification then you will have an ideal West of England loco and train.
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:09 »

Via Westbury to where Graham? (The World could be Melksham's oyster). 

My choice would be Exeter Central or Weymouth (the latter resurrecting an old railway company).

Edit note: Quote marks amended, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 17:36:39 by chris from nailsea » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 14:10:24 »

Could I ask the mods please to move the last few posts as they are drifting off the subject!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 14:21:18 »

Could I ask the mods please to move the last few posts as they are drifting off the subject!

Done - original topic continues (I hope) about Portishead at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=231.210

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 14:36:25 »

Any hopes of seeing A stock serve any lines will require a time machine as the entire fleet (bar one driving car (which is in the LT museum)) has now been scrapped.

Likewise, the C stock is now being scrapped.

As a regular C stock traveller, and an infrequent A stock traveller in the past, I think it is probably a good thing these units aren't being redeployed. I know it is hard to see through rose tinted glasses, but be rational for a moment. These units are/were leaky, draughty, rough riding and had no toilets.... almost like a Pacer!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 15:36:38 »

Likewise, the C stock is now being scrapped.

Yep ... "being" not "been".

These units are/were leaky, draughty, rough riding and had no toilets.... almost like a Pacer!

Ever been on a Faresaver bus  Grin

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 16:04:20 »

Done - original topic continues (I hope) about Portishead at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=231.210

Fine, but where has my Q about trans wilts gone?   Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 17:01:39 »

Is this it? It was stood looking lost and forlorn:

Via Westbury to where Graham? (The World could be Melksham's oyster). 

My choice would be Exeter Central or Weymouth (the latter resurrecting an old railway company).

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 22:22:59 »

I think the quoting was a bit mixed up (and that was before I split the thread) ... it was there, but it looked like someone else was being quoted.   I see while I've been out at the Bus Panel meeting this evening that CfN has clarified the original post, and the question has been clarified too.

OK ... I was intentionally vague. 

Leaving Westbury in a Southwesterly direction, there are a number of aspirations.   Firstly, you hit the only section of the Portsmouth to Cardiff route which is still only one train per hour much of the time, all be it with various services leaving Westbury headed for Brighton, Southampton, Warminster and Waterloo. Secondly, you have aspirations for an hourly service on the Heart of Wessex, again which is currently at 2 or 3 hourly internals, with some short workings to Frome.  Third, you have aspirations for trains to Radstock and to Yeovil Junction.

There are some real oddities in the current services in those parts, and adding in services arriving from the north and continuing on would give a number of options to sort those issues out for the benefit of many. If the stopper from Bristol arrived within a few minutes of the TransWilts train from Swindon, and there was two way crossplatform linkage there - platforms 0 and 1 southbound, 2 and 3 northbound, then it needs careful working out to decide which train is best to continue to where, and I would suspect that the result of that working out would be pretty evenly balanced.   I am of course aware that Platform 0 has been deemed expensive because of all the signal cables buried where the platform would need to go, but I wouldn't have thought that it would be too hard to put in a hollow platform with a bit of lateral thinking - either lifting floor panels, or something on pillars that can be accessed from the track if need be.

My original post was ... not exactly flippant, but certainly left-field.   But then stranger things have happened, especially where there's a will.  The next practical question is "where to we service this vintage stuff?" and that's where the choice would logically fall between Yeovil Junction, Salisbury, Didcot and St Philip's Marsh.  If it was one of the former two, that might tip the balance of the answer to your question, swrural - I'm not normally one to suggest an arrangement of service patterns for operational convenience, but in this particular case the balance before that consideration might be so close that you end up with trains based as Salisbury (so you have Salisbury - Swindon) or Yeovil (so you have Heart of Wessex - Swindon)

swrural

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 16:06:00 »

Interesting reply, thanks.  in fact I think I need to continue discussion on another thread about new /revised services in the Wessex Wilts area.  You make a lot of 'food for thought' points which are more to do with strategic links than what clapped out old stock should be used (or new clapped out......).

Will come back on this.  I hope others find these issues (planning issues really) interesting.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 16:29:56 »

You make a lot of 'food for thought' points which are more to do with strategic links than what clapped out old stock should be used

You asked a question which was more to do with strategic links ... Grin  Grin I had originally left these matters out of my suggestion as it took us even further off topic.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 22:36:53 »

I have a similar topic at: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10777.0

I think an express Swansea District Line service is key to competitiveness of the railway in south-west Wales, and ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s use of class 150s on the Fishguard Express Boat Train and 2-car units on Manchester - south Wales services is, in my view, unacceptable unless they really is nothing that can be done about it. However, as far as I can see these issues can't currently be easily sorted soon apart from using run-down mark2 coaches on some services. A similar topic since it relates to a choice between a better service with older (and not great for disabled passengers) rolling stock or remaining with a poor service with more modern stock.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: