Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 23:25:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[86] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Haines - First Group / First Great Western (merged topics)  (Read 50197 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 13:30:39 »

Yeah SDA it is just whilst he is away.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 19:21:35 »

if rumour is to be believed then mr haines has had a nervous breakdown and is not going to be returning to FGW (First Great Western),the same source also said his replacement is from scotrail although i cannot remember her name.

as i said just depot rumour so watch this space i suppose
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 19:23:59 »

I also have heard this rumour today, although no idea how reliable the source is.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 20:25:27 »

if rumour is to be believed then mr haines has had a nervous breakdown and is not going to be returning to FGW (First Great Western),the same source also said his replacement is from scotrail although i cannot remember her name.

as i said just depot rumour so watch this space i suppose
Recent reports say that Mary Grant has taken over from Andrew Haines as head of First's rail division for the time being.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 23:00:36 »

Ollie doesn't like this kind of speculation about somebodies well being, I just don't think it's appropriate to put rumours on a public forum like this, we already seen how the press use this forum and get it all wrong.

My view is I hope whatever is wrong he is on the mend, because he's a decent guy, and we (fgw) need him back.

For the record, Mary Grant is Acting MD of First UK (United Kingdom) Rail and Mark Hopwood is Acting MD of FGW (First Great Western)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 23:16:06 »

I agree with Ollie, in that I think posting speculation about the cause of Andrew Haines' absence is inappropriate, even if such rumours are doing the rounds within FGW (First Great Western).

And like other posters I wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery. He has made such a difference to FGW that I do hope he is well enough to return at some point. 
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2008, 23:19:56 »

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the frequent posters' club, so that the Joe Bloggs person can't view it.

Nevertheless, I would also like to add "Get well soon" as he has done well.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 23:54:35 »

Thank you to Ollie, John R and Btline for your comments: I agree, and this topic has been moved accordingly.

Chris.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 14:26:22 »

Chris - thanks for moving this.   Yes - it was a good idea to move it to the "Frequent Poster's Club" where it can only be read by folks who have reached a certain minimum number of posts.

And, here in "the Club", I'll comment that I have heard a somewhat different background as to why Andrew's not at his post at present ... so "unconfirmed rumour" is very much the best thing to say for the moment (unless of course one rumour's substance has caused the other rumour's effect)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 16:55:03 »

Heard hes returned. Cannot confirm.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2008, 09:00:27 »

I earlier reported on my blog that Andrew Haines will be leaving the company, that is both First GW (Great Western) and First UK (United Kingdom) Rail.

May I take the opportunity here to wish him well in the future.

http://iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2008, 09:06:09 »

I have posted this in the Who's Who bit, but just to confirm in this thread that Andrew will be leaving First Group.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 09:20:26 »

Thanks Andrew for your efforts at FGW (First Great Western).  You leave the company in a much better state than when you joined and for should be proud of that
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 11:16:19 »

Indeed. Huge improvements in the year or so he was in charge. Can't help but think he's left before fully completing the transformation though, and wonder whether his recent sickness has caused this decision as it does seem a bit odd?

Still, it was always the intention to hand over the reins to Mark Hopwood, who's no stranger to being top-dog having performed similar roles at c2c amongst others. Mark's a clever chap - having worked quite closely with him during his early career at Thames Trains in the mid-90's, I can certainly vouch for his determination and abilities. It will be a testing time for him though as filling Andrew's boots will be no mean feat.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 11:35:50 »

Indeed. Huge improvements in the year or so he was in charge. Can't help but think he's left before fully completing the transformation though, and wonder whether his recent sickness has caused this decision as it does seem a bit odd?

It's not worth speculating on why he decided to make his decision at the time he has, it is disappointing to see him leave, as he has done a lot of good for this company.

Still, it was always the intention to hand over the reins to Mark Hopwood, who's no stranger to being top-dog having performed similar roles at c2c amongst others. Mark's a clever chap - having worked quite closely with him during his early career at Thames Trains in the mid-90's, I can certainly vouch for his determination and abilities. It will be a testing time for him though as filling Andrew's boots will be no mean feat.

Agreed, and true about the intention for Mark to eventually take over FGW (First Great Western) anyway.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: