Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:01:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not allowed First class in Crosscountry  (Read 25202 times)
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 20:34:28 »

I recall an occasion a little while ago when there was major disruption on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) between York and Newcastle on a Saturday, Cross Country refused to assist ny accepting EC tickets due, as they stated, their trains were rammed so would not be able to accomodate additional passengers.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 09:34:42 »

Well.....I've had a full reply from FGW (First Great Western) enclosing rail vouchers equivalent to the fare for the entire journey - very generous bearing in mind that the only real hardship was a lack of 1st class accommodation between Plymouth and Exeter!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 10:01:32 »

An excellent result there TaplowGreen!

Poor form from XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) that they are 'continuing to investigate....'

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
cogload

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 20:22:06 »

Sit tight and hold your ground, if you were told at Plymouth to do this then you can take that at face value. Get the TM(resolve) full name, depot and no and make it clear you will be writing in, if push comes to shove insist they call the BT Police.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 20:50:47 »

These names may be useful if you want to try an approach from the top down. I also had reason to do the same with North Somerset Council when my first email was not responded to in 10 days. An email to the chief exec got the matter sorted in a couple of hours.

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Having trouble with Cross Country Customer Services ? Go to the top!

^ on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:22 PM ^
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An email to the Cross Country Customer Service Director (jhiggins@crosscountrytrains.co.uk) after not having had a reply for 2 months after being promised a full reply within 10 days. I guessed the email address, and had this response within 24 hours!

I hope someone else finds this information useful.

Jeremy Higgins thanks you for your email and he has asked me to investigate and respond on his behalf.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.  It is true to say that due to the severe weather conditions our postbag has been unusually high and our response times have fallen behind what we normally achieve. 

I can confirm that a letter with your travel vouchers will be sent from our department today.

Once again I am sorry for the delay in responding.

Kind regards

Pamela Johnson
Customer Relations Duty Manager
CrossCountry
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 20:10:25 »

Sit tight and hold your ground, if you were told at Plymouth to do this then you can take that at face value. Get the TM(resolve) full name, depot and no and make it clear you will be writing in, if push comes to shove insist they call the BT Police.

The TM does not need to give full name or depot. He/she is an agent for Crosscountry, or indeed this equally applies to ANY Train Operating Company. He/she does however have to give you their first name and of course, you should take note of the service you are on. Contacting Crosscountry directly if need be.

There are occasions when Great Western advise customers to use other Companies services....but fail to ASK the other rail company making Advance tickets invalid if Great Western Only.

It is also worth pointing out that 2 and a half 1st Class carriages will NOT fit into 24 seats on a Voyager!

If there are more than 24 1st class tickets from FGW (First Great Western) AND the train manager knows he has lots of XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) 1st class passengers traveling a long way who are/will get on he/she may have a point. Exeter to Edinburgh is more than twice as long a journey as Exeter to London.

I am not saying that is right, but it is a point worth making when the XC customers would otherwise be entitled to a refund and I suspect FGW would not pay for that!?

Just playing Devils advocate here!

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 21:01:26 »

There are occasions when Great Western advise customers to use other Companies services....but fail to ASK the other rail company making Advance tickets invalid if Great Western Only.

As far as it concerns the customer this is irrelevant. An instruction has been given to a passenger to use alternative services. The passenger is then following the direction of member of railway staff, and is covered contractually by the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. They should not then be inconvenienced because of a breakdown in communication between TOCs (Train Operating Company). That is a matter for the companies to resolve without impacting in any way on the passenger.

ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)'s National Rail brand strapline: Britain's train companies working together.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 00:10:19 »

As far as it concerns the customer this is irrelevant. An instruction has been given to a passenger to use alternative services. The passenger is then following the direction of member of railway staff, and is covered contractually by the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. They should not then be inconvenienced because of a breakdown in communication between TOCs (Train Operating Company). That is a matter for the companies to resolve without impacting in any way on the passenger.

ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)'s National Rail brand strapline: Britain's train companies working together.

I agree fully with bignosemac on this one. If I was travelling as a layman passenger, If an 'Authorised Person' were to tell me to board a particular service, then I would sit in the class of accommodation stated on my ticket.

An 'Authorised Person' has given me permission to use train Y instead of X and I would surely then be covered by the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage)? This could be extended to the ruling on Authorised Persons given permission to use First Class with Standard Class Tickets.

If a TM(resolve) then stated that I could not sit in First Class due to discrepancy between companies. Then I'm sorry but that is not my problem, concern or anything to do with me. If the 'Authorised Persons' cannot do the job properly when I have paid for a service and entered into a contract with the Railway for the purpose of Travel, I couldn't care less whether it meant that someone wasn't going to get a seat between Plymouth and Exeter. I would be running late by that point already. If I was occupying a reserved seat then that's fair enough, again if all seats were reserved in First Class then fair enough. However if another Pax boarded at Totnes and couldn't get a seat, TOUGH! You don't pay for a seat with a ticket, merely the right to travel by train or alternative means at the TOC's discretion.

Sorry to put it so bluntly. But that's the rules. I wonder how this would have been dealt with in the days of British Rail and ICGW and ICXC...?? I thought as much?

Just goes to show the major flaws in Privatisation. Also I think that ATOC strapline is laughable and very economic with the truth in quite a few cases!

ICGW = (InterCity Greater Western)
ICXC = (InterCity Cross Country)

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 00:54:44 »

In the meantime, lest we forget our manners, may I offer a warm welcome to our new member 'cogload' - and thanks for posting your suggested course of action!  Smiley

I'm also interested to note:

The TM(resolve) does not need to give full name or depot. ... He/she does however have to give you their first name ...

Is that actually the case?  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:29:47 »

In the meantime, lest we forget our manners, may I offer a warm welcome to our new member 'cogload' - and thanks for posting your suggested course of action!  Smiley

I'm also interested to note:

The TM(resolve) does not need to give full name or depot. ... He/she does however have to give you their first name ...

Is that actually the case?  Shocked

Staff have to wear name badges, however I'm led to believe that they may choose any name they wish. Data protection or something along those lines!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:33 »

Staff have to wear name badges, however I'm led to believe that they may choose any name they wish. Data protection or something along those lines!

I think it's more along the lines that their work name doesn't have to match their home name - in case they feel they may be stalked / subject to abuse if (for example) they enforce rules in a way which upsets passengers.   Or equally - if they're helpful and have an unusual name, they may find themselves getting questions sent to their homes.  I can understand the desire to be - fully - off duty in some roles.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 13:28:44 »

Interesting comment there. That's just made me think of a certain member of staff, who I've seen at a station I sharn't name wearing at least three different name badges in the past... They also happen to be an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 09:17:51 »

Yes indeed everyone. ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)'s position is clear and that position is correct. The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Guard should contact their customer service number to check out this position. I am sure mostly that this will clear things up. If however the delay is a cancellation of TOC (Train Operating Company)'s (Train Operating Company) service AND the Ticket is TOC specific it is the responsibility of THAT TOC to get the passenger to their destination! I said at the end of my post I was playing 'Devils Advocate'.

However 1st Class is 1st Class. If mutual acceptance or specific ticket acceptance is agreed you are entitled to that class of travel. The Guard on this occasion could have done better methinks!

My first point however is true. The member of staff does not have to give surname or depot. But can if they wish.

Lastly, I also forgot my manners too! A warm welcome to Cogload as well!

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: