Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:16:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Observations ... what do YOU notice  (Read 7980 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 24, 2013, 18:20:33 »

Random observations ... from my current journey.  What strikes you as you travel?

The footbridge at Bradford-on-Avon is shut out of use with a sign "please use temporary footbridge".  But no sign to say how to get to it.  It looks like it starts in the car park, so you walk down there just to find ... an inset from the platform has been made into the car park, and you've got to walk all the way around again!

The young lady with the baggage that required its own seat.   When challenged, she suggested that I sat in one of the reserved seats (not about to do that, as I was joining at B-o-A and that's where they were labelled from.  Her comment of "I'm only going to the next station" seemed odd if it was supposed to be an excuse, and incorrect when she passed chances to get out at Avoncliff and Freshford, and remained on until Bath.

A sign at Newport which says "Do not sit on the counter".  Presumably they have trouble with locals sho sit in all sorts of odd places they shouldn't.

The Upper Crust at Newport which closes at 16:30 on a Sunday.  At 17:30, there are lots of people who would like to get in (I think Sunday late afternoon / evening is one of the busiest for long distance travel), but all we can do is look in through the door and see bright lights and the staff clearing up.  The sign om platform 4 says "Upper Crust - Fresh Coffee - Platforms 2 and 3" but doesn't tell you that it's only got limited hours.

All trains arriving in Newport seem to have 5 or 10 minutes to wait there.  Is that to make sure they're on time and have a good record for their TOC (Train Operating Company) when they reach Cardiff?

Another sign - "Caution - High Speed Trains pass this platform" on Platform 4 at Newport.  And I wonder (a) when an HST (High Speed Train) last went through that platform without stopping and (b) what's the speed limit on it?

Newport station ALWAYS seems to be very cold, and the waiting room on Platform 4 full and without anything more interesting than seats.   The Arriva trains Wales service to Manchester is ... nice and warn, I have a table (yay!) and the trolley has more sandwiches on it than were available at the entire Newport station (2 x tired chicken things on an otherwise empty shelf in WH Smiths!)

Snow on the ground at Pontypool and New Inn, where I am now ("New Inn" in Welsh is "New Inn" ;-) )

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:30:44 »

The young lady with the baggage that required its own seat.

In such a case, I would probably politely but firmly move the baggage onto a luggage rack, with an explanation that "I have a valid ticket: your baggage does not."  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:16:47 »

The young lady with the baggage that required its own seat.

In such a case, I would probably politely but firmly move the baggage onto a luggage rack, with an explanation that "I have a valid ticket: your baggage does not."  Roll Eyes

I have travelled a bit on Cross Country voyagers recently. Whilst I'm not a big fan of these trains I am impressed by the frequent TM(resolve) announcements not to block passageways or spare seats with luggage.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 19:25:59 »

I remember the notice at Earley station:

"Toilet out of use - wet paint!"

Two ways to read anything.

OTC
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 19:34:17 »

The amount of people who avoid sitting in reserved seats simply because they have the white flag; when the seat may well be available for their whole journey.

I've also had it when a lady decided to swipe my reserved seat in Coach H because I had 'vacated' the seat. Apparently, Going to the buffet car to buy a sandwich constitutes for-fitting your reservation. Errr. No. It doesn't!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
quakers yard

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 19:35:14 »

The alleged availability of albatross crisps on some atw at seat catering services!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 19:57:45 »

The trout's tale about a reserved seat being forfeited (note spelling tt  Wink), I arrived at Glasgow Queen Street early for my train to Oban so thought I'd wander over and check my reserved seat through the window.  I was satisfied that my forward facing widow seat was duly flagged, went for a snack and boarded ten minutes before departure.  Imagine my surprise to find a woman sitting in my seat and my flag now on the seat opposite.  'That's your seat,' she boldly announced when challenged.  It was only a few moments before she moved, the conversation being brusque, but polite.  She sat an scowled all the way to Oban. Tough!
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 20:44:17 »

Random observations ... from my current journey.  What strikes you as you travel?

All trains arriving in Newport seem to have 5 or 10 minutes to wait there.  Is that to make sure they're on time and have a good record for their TOC (Train Operating Company) when they reach Cardiff?

Was that also on the Sunday? The timings allow for relief line running between Severn Tunnel and Cardiff, which means a line speed of 60mph west of Newport and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) 40mph east of Newport, which frequently leads to an early arrival, particularly going down.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 21:33:30 »

She sat and scowled all the way to Oban.

If I was travelling all the way to Oban, I'd probably scowl, too ...  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 23:40:15 »

Was that also on the Sunday? The timings allow for relief line running between Severn Tunnel and Cardiff, which means a line speed of 60mph west of Newport and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) 40mph east of Newport, which frequently leads to an early arrival, particularly going down.

Yep, that explains it thanks ... the service I was on is given 19 minutes from 7TJ to Newport ... I note weekday services are given 10 or 11

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 23:55:50 »

Has anyone then ever noticed the difference in lighting from outside, on a HST (High Speed Train) in First vs. Standard Class??

First appears to be a creamy and fairly nice light. First Class seems harsh, white and bright??

Or is tt colourblind.

trainer. My feeling in your situation is mutual. It is tough. Last year just before the Olympics I took sister trout to London. She wanted to see the Trams so we did East Croydon - Beckenham Junction. Then a train to Bromley South and back to London Victoria on an SE Fast. On the VIC train we sat in the only two single-double seats in 1ST opposite an old gent who questioned our presence in 1ST. I politely asked if he was a member of rail staff to which his reply was "Well yes I've paid for a First Class Ticket"

So the answer will be a no then... Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 00:28:41 »

First appears to be a creamy and fairly nice light. First Class seems harsh, white and bright??

Or is tt colourblind.

I don't know, young trout: you've rather lost me on that one.  Roll Eyes

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:51:59 »

Has anyone then ever noticed the difference in lighting from outside, on a HST (High Speed Train) in First vs. Standard Class??

Or is tt colourblind.

Angry

It may be the flourescent lamps fitted. Originally these were warm white but evidently replacements (of failed lamps and on refurbishment) were white or cool white lamps. This is quite noticeable on some coaches where a random mix may be seen. The white or cool white appear brighter and harsher.

OTC
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 14:47:10 »

I don't know, young trout: you've rather lost me on that one.  Roll Eyes

What OTC said. Basically the lighting in Coach F, G & H appears different to A, B, C, D & E. I'll take a picture when I see a HST (High Speed Train) tonight Wink

*edit* Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwmoIG5c_M The first 3 carriages appear to have a different lighting tone than the remaining carriages... Well I think so anyway Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 16:03:27 »

He might be right. That's a truly random observation.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: