Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:05:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical implications of HSTs at London Waterloo  (Read 11216 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 20:24:37 »

What is the situation with regard to the trailers with long swing link (LSL(resolve)) fitted bogies that are supposed to be out of gauge for the third (live) rail?

A creme egg for the first jpeg of an LSL marked carriage at Waterloo.

OTC
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 20:32:30 »

They are still barred from third rail as before I believe. As we discussed a few months back, there is no real evidence that LSL(resolve) bogies have suddenly been cleared over third rail, the issue that prevented the SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)) fitted HSTs (High Speed Train) running up the main line and into the central platforms (such as P11) was a 'normal' gauging issue.

Paul
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 20:36:08 »

I have modified the title of this thread to "Technical implications of HSTs (High Speed Train) at London Waterloo" to reflect the later discussions that are not necessarily related to bricks on the track.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 20:44:38 »

The vast majority of the FGW (First Great Western) Mk3 fleet is SSL (Short Swing Link bogies (125)). Shouldn't be any great issue ensuring only SSL sets go to Waterloo.

FGW have done these diverts before, in December 2010, so they have experience in ensuring only sets that consist of SSL coaches run over third rail.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:51 »

I don't think the point made above about Waterloo staff being unfamiliar with slam door stock is necessarily valid, because if they follow the same routine as last time FGW (First Great Western) will provide all their own despatch and platform staff.

Correct: FGW will be providing their own despatch and customer service staff.

I'll see if I can find out anything about the eight-minute discrepancy between the GBTT (Great British Time Table) and WTT (Working Time-Table) departure times.

In terms of platform lengths, platforms 8 - 16 and 18 are all theoretically capable of accommodating a twelve-car train made up of 20 m vehicles, which means they can also easily take a ten-car 444 (23 m vehicles) and therefore would have no trouble with a 2 + 8 HST (High Speed Train) formation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:07:40 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 19:30:45 »

I 'heard' that we now have to leave Waterloo behind the Weymouth service, so rather than retiming the public departure, it was kept as it was with the WTT (Working Time-Table) being adjusted.

Some Paddington platform staff are at Waterloo and Reading platform staff are at Basingstoke.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 19:33:55 »

The services were always like that from when they first appeared, with the huge PTT (Public Time-Table) and WTT (Working Time-Table) differential, it's very strange. There never could have been a path at xx59 either, it's too close to the xx00 service.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 21:44:01 »

The PA (Public Address) at Basingstoke was playing a recorded message prior to down trains arriving this afternoon reminding everyone that an old fashioned train with manual doors was approaching, and could everyone please remember to shut the doors properly after getting on!   (That's paraphrased - it wasn't exactly those words.)

Then in the case of up direction arrivals, and just as they did last time, they kept them off the PIS (Passenger Information System) displays, and announced that the next train to arrive was 'not in public use' presumably in an attempt to enforce the set down only rule.

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 23:26:31 »

Waterloo services appeared to be running like clockwork this afternoon and evening: no-one in Control seemed to know why the discrepancy between the GBTT (Great British Time Table) and WTT (Working Time-Table) times, although interestingly the last departure to Plymouth was 1907 in both timetables and left at exactly that time.
quakers yard

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 20:52:07 »

As if SWT (South West Trains) staff havent seen slam door trains there before in recent years!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: