Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:57:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Tunnel to be closed today for engineering inspection  (Read 5193 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: April 01, 2013, 00:08:09 »

From the Network Rail press release:

Severn Tunnel to be closed today for engineering inspection into feasibility of future electrification

Due to last minute changes in our planning for this essential preparatory work, the full inspection of the Severn Tunnel by our team of electrical engineers is to be brought forward to today.

In view of the existing alterations to passenger services over Easter, due to continuing work on the improvements to the station infrastructure at Reading, we believe it is appropriate to bring forward our planned work on the Severn Tunnel.  This is intended to minimize any further inconvenience to the travelling public and freight operators by closing the tunnel for this essential survey work at any future date.

Our engineers will be surveying the full length of the Severn Tunnel to ascertain where it will be best to fit electrical power supplies ^ whether third rail or overhead lines ^ to assist us in preparing for the proposed electrification of the Great West Main Line.

This essential survey work should be completed by mid-day today at the latest, and should thus cause the minimum of inconvenience to all those using the railway at this particular time of year.

Network Rail spokesman Neil Downe said: ^The provision of road replacement services during this morning will be a matter for the train operating companies involved.^

A First Great Western spokesman would not be drawn into commenting officially, but expressed his personal opinion that travelling on any road replacement services between Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction could take longer than waiting for rail services to resume, hopefully at mid-day today.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:00:55 »

From the Network Rail press release:

Our engineers will be surveying the full length of the Severn Tunnel to ascertain where it will be best to fit electrical power supplies ^ whether third rail or overhead lines ^ to assist us in preparing for the proposed electrification of the Great West Main Line.

Third rail  Grin Grin Grin Grin some project manager or someone in the press office rushed that out tut tut tut

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:14:40 »

I believe the Project Manager for this one is a Dutch engineer by the name of Olaf Pirlo.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:55:22 »

Brilliant BNM ..that had me laughing even more than the original 'press release' Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:27 »

I think Chris from Nailsea forgot to include the accompanying photograph in his post...
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:35 »

I believe the Project Manager for this one is a Dutch engineer by the name of Olaf Pirlo.

Is this the guy that tends to be elusive - we only hear  about him once a year?
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:23 »

Norwegian mother - Italian father surely?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:25 »

I think Chris from Nailsea forgot to include the accompanying photograph in his post...

What's a "toast rack" to do with electrification of the 7tunnel

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:51:30 »

What's a "toast rack" to do with electrification of the 7tunnel
"Irrelevant use of stock photography"
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 15:24:46 »

Norwegian mother - Italian father surely?

I pm'd BNM about this and I have now got the actual joke anyway eventually by myself (slowing up nowadays, excuse the first signs!).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 16:40:39 »

With my thanks to all who contributed to the joke, this topic has now been moved to the 'lighter side'.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: